Main at McBee mixed use project

gman430

This is a mixed use project for the intersection of Main Street and McBee Avenue in downtown Greenville. CVS Pharmacy will be the main tenant. Total square footage is 35,000 square feet. Only second floor space (16,000 square feet) remains for lease. First floor is fully leased. KDS Properties is the developer. Slated opening is October 2010. Rendering below:

mainatmcbee.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, I think this is a great location for a pharmacy. Additionally, I think it's a great location for height. However, I don't think I would be disappointed by this. We just as much can use the density and retail at a ground level. It'll be a great selling point for the Bookends.

It seems like a decent enough background building.

This is a mixed use project for the intersection of Main Street and McBee Avenue in downtown Greenville. CVS Pharmacy will be the main tenant. Total square footage is 35,000 square feet. Only second floor space (16,000 square feet) remains for lease. First floor is fully leased. KDS Properties is the developer. Slated opening is October 2010. Rendering below:

mainatmcbee.jpg

I hope they will construct a foundation strong enough to ADD floors in the future. That is a prime spot, which could easily justify multiple floors once the economy recovers. Any info on that Citylife? Thanks for posting too.

It is a bittersweet announcement, since that property is both vacant and prime for something larger. Oh well, I suppose it is best to look at the positive side and be glad something will finally fill the former Kress building site. I am seriously disappointed in the lack of sidewalk appeal along the McBee Avenue side though. Yes, it will be a very good addition for downtown residents.

Let's hope the City forces the building owners to be creative and utilize the plain brick wall as a canvas for attractive artwork. I could see a mural, something highlighting Greenville as host of the USA Cycling Pro Championships, or perhaps just something highlighting the city's many street festivals. I could also see a collection of murals to fill the five (?) divided portions of the wall.

mainatmcbee.jpg

Sorry but :sick: . This architecture looks just like all the other boxy brick/glass proposals we have seen for DT over the past few years. Please, somebody with some creativity do some designing for Gville.

Sorry but :sick: . This architecture looks just like all the other boxy brick/glass proposals we have seen for DT over the past few years. Please, somebody with some creativity do some designing for Gville.

This is why I called it a background building. It works well as that. However, I would HATE to see Greenville's most daring and iconic architecture to be wasted on a two/three story pharmacy mixed-use building. So, like I said, for its use and size, I think it's fine.

If Reedy Square gets built, we'll get your creative building, Distoredlogic. :thumbsup:

It is a bittersweet announcement, since that property is both vacant and prime for something larger. Oh well, I suppose it is best to look at the positive side and be glad something will finally fill the former Kress building site. I am seriously disappointed in the lack of sidewalk appeal along the McBee Avenue side though. Yes, it will be a very good addition for downtown residents.

Does anyone have pictures of of the former Kress building? :dontknow:

It was just a box, originally probably brick but then covered in the same metal-type covering that every other discount store in every other downtown was covered in starting in the 1960s (like the Woolworth building, or even like the JC Penney store before it closed and was converted into offices).

This is a big improvement. I think the new building looks fine- not amazing, but fine.

I don't have any photos of the original exterior, but have seen a few in the past. The Kress building originally sported an attractive exterior, but over the years the facade had been covered multiple times. Before being torn down, the owners explored the idea of removing the "newer" facades to discern whether it was worth the effort to preserve the original exterior. They learned preservation would be virtually impossible and decided instead to market the site for a new building named "Main at McBee".

I saw a few shots in one of the history books at the library. Like Skyliner said, it was quite attractive. Really good original facade. I have a couple of history books here as well....will see if I can find a photo and the photographer credit.

Again, off topic, but it is a valid point nonetheless. Height is nice, its makes everyone feel like they're truely in a major city (i.e. Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia) but take this into perspective. I live just down the street from Inman Sq in East Cambridge, MA. Pardon the expression, but if Greenville could mix Inman Sq with downtown, it would be phenomenal. You don't need height to have something amazing. My better half and I love just walking down the sidewalk there on the weekends, enjoying brunch, and the atmosphere. I could eat at a different every day there for a year and not repeat a meal. So yeah, just throwing that idea out there, and seeing what maybe Greenville can pick up from the rest of this crazy world, including the Peoples Republic of Cambridge. ;)

Inman Sq Assoc.

I think this is fine. This development is not going to wow anyone with its architecture, but it is also not going to offend anyone. And as GvilleSC stated, this is a pharmacy so daring architecture is neither expected nor wanted here.

This is a solid building which will bring a CVS downtown - which I think is great. We talk a lot about making downtown a 24/7 type of place which caters to businesspeople and residents alike. This is a big step in that direction. I'll take it. :thumbsup:

I agree that they should build this with the possibility of adding height in the future.

It will have a drive thru but it will be indoors which I find to be very interesting: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/city_government/PlanningApplications/applications/2009/December/DesignandPreservationCommission/12-03-2009/CA-09-215-7SouthMainStreet.pdf Looks like a parking garage entrance/exit rather than a drive thru.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for this, I hate going down Augusta just for CVS and Walgreens.

Apparently I am the only subscriber to this list who does NOT want to see a major chain like CVS on Main Street downtown. Such businesses do very well on suburban street corners and strip malls and simply cheapen a unique Main Street setting such as we enjoy in the downtown area. Every CVS/Walgreens/etc. that I have visited in an urban setting was crap. As far as I am concerned this is the equivalent of having a Waffle House replace the now demolished Woolworth's. The type of retail business that thrives on a Main Street and brings value to the downtown environment is a one-of-a-kind, destination or boutique type of store, preferably with a local owner. The closest to Main Street that I would like to see a CVS would be McBee Place, if at all. Such a location would be within walking distance for downtown residents but would not destroy the unique shopping experience that IS downtown Greenville. My office is downtown and I shop at the local businesses there as often as I can. I might add that, even though I actually prefer Dunkin Donuts over Krispy Kreme (with the exception of stores that were operated badly by Kainos Group, with stale donuts and poor service), I for one am glad that the DD project at the edge of Piazza Bergamo died before it became a reality. It's a matter of understanding the demographic that is attracted to a high-value business proposition such as is presented by downtown Greenville. Some on this discussion have already argued against the cash-for-gold enterprise that opened recently. Would you want to put up a Red Roof Inn up the street from the Westin Poinsett? I do not perceive Dunkin Donuts OR CVS as being the same level of quality as we want to attract to the Main Street shopping district. I love downtown Greenville, and I don't want to see it cheapened with that type of enterprise. Just my $0.02 worth.

I think there's a need for a pharmacy on Main Street. If it were Pickwick or Fowler's, then so be it, but there is no current "local" pharmacy that fills this need or that has the chance of being put out of business as a result of CVS's opening. In that sense, it's not hurting anyone. Furthermore, if a local entrepreneur couldn't find the cash or foresee the need for a Main Street pharmacy, then it's their loss. We can't sit around and wait on locals to see the light with every niche that downtown needs filled. I don't think that's so hard to agree with...

I'm going to have to disagree Riverwalker. How is a CVS Pharmacy going to cheapen downtown Greenville? dontknow.gif How anybody can be against economic development that adds jobs to the area is beyond me. For people hoping the city would prevent this pharmacy from coming downtown can forget about it. They have no right to stop it seeing how it's zoned properly and the DPC approved it. Haywood Mall, Shops at Greenridge, McBee Station, and Augusta Road all have both national and local retailers. Why can't downtown Greenville? If these local retailers can't survive downtown with national retailers than that's their problem. The last thing we need downtown in my opinion is more local boutiques that only cater to women. There's so many of those downtown as it is, they don't know what to do with them all. We need to diversify downtown and bring in amenities that don't currently exist there like a pharmacy.

I'm going to have to disagree Riverwalker. How is a CVS Pharmacy going to cheapen downtown Greenville? dontknow.gif How anybody can be against economic development that adds jobs to the area is beyond me. For people hoping the city would prevent this pharmacy from coming downtown can forget about it. They have no right to stop it seeing how it's zoned properly and the DPC approved it. Haywood Mall, Shops at Greenridge, McBee Station, and Augusta Road all have both national and local retailers. Why can't downtown Greenville? If these local retailers can't survive downtown with national retailers than that's their problem. The last thing we need downtown in my opinion is more local boutiques that only cater to women. There's so many of those downtown as it is, they don't know what to do with them all. We need to diversify downtown and bring in amenities that don't currently exist there like a pharmacy.

Whoa, pal. Let's try to keep the straw men out of this discussion. Did I say I was against economic development that adds jobs? Did I say that the city should (or even could) prevent CVS from locating downtown? The answer is NO to both questions. So, now that we have firmly established what I did NOT say, let me expand on what I DID say.

I am in favor of development, but not just ANY development for the sake of development itself. Development should be in keeping with the character of the types of businesses that have worked and still seem to work well in the Main Street environment. Those are destination shops that attract curiosity and invite people to linger. What works best in downtown Greenville is pedestrian traffic. CVS is too much of a quick-stop, grab-a-few-items, in-and-out kind of a store. Patrons know what they want and they wand to get it fast. Imagine even more cars circling Main Street while drivers look for a parking space that they can pull into for just a couple of minutes while they grab a bottle of cough medicine and a pack of butts (get the connection, eh?). Speaking solely in terms of the kind of traffic a CVS would bring, you might as well put in a McDonalds or a Kwikee Mart type of place. Those patrons don't linger.

Meanwhile I clearly recall saying that I would prefer to see a CVS at McBee Station or in some similar nearby location, i.e., just a couple of blocks off Main Street and convenient to both foot and automotive traffic. From there it would serve downtown residents and employees just as well, yet it would be able to handle the parking and traffic that a CVS would require.

Allow me to provide an example from my own experience. In the town where I grew up, a large CVS opened in a former five-and-dime-store location in the dead center of town. While on-street parking was very limited, there was a town parking lot in back with good access to all the storefronts on the block.

After a short while, one began to notice an increasing number of cars circling the lot as drivers waited for spaces to open up close to the CVS. This type of traffic became problematic for the customers of several nearby fine dining establishments that had been a mainstay of the town center business. Over time, a number of those restaurants gave up and closed, due in no small part to the difficulty their patrons had in finding parking spaces.

As in Greenville, those restaurants had attracted the type of patrons who liked to linger in the town center, walk around and visit the unique local shops that were nearby. As the restaurants and small shops were squeezed out, they were replaced by more grab-and-go business that, eventually, turned the town center into the equivalent of a strip mall, burdened by traffic but no longer an attraction to be savored and appreciated for the atmosphere. I would be deeply saddened to see this same type of evolution take place on Main Street here.

So, yes, it would be great to have a CVS in the central business district, not in the prime Main Street area but an off-Main location instead (or off South Main). A couple of possibilities come to mind immediately. I would love, for instance, to see development on the corner of Washington and W. Broad, where Chuck Orr of Chuck's Bumper and Glass has had a For Sale sign out for several years. A CVS in that location might be another leap forward in the revitalization of the West Washington area. There's also the property on Falls Street where a former Bank of America sits vacant, part of a larger area off the east end of the Liberty Bridge that is ripe for development. Now that we now the USPS is going to give up the nearby facility, and it won't be used for the new federal court house, I hope to see development begun on this entire block, bordered also by Calvin Street and Webster Street and possibly even up to Vivian Street. (By the way, has anyone else noticed that Google Maps shows a Wal-Mart Supercenter planted right in the middle of Webster Street? See http://tinyurl.com/yfvq95x. Do they know something we don't know?) Meanwhile, South Academy Street will continue to see growth in the area around the Kroc Center, which also might attract a CVS type of store.

(Both the Chucks Bumper lot and the Falls Street area may deserve their own discussion threads someday; I just bring them up here as illustrations of nearby alternatives to a Main Street CVS location.)

Now, getting back to the property at Main and McBee. That lot does need to be filled with thriving business, and soon, but I would be very disappointed to see a CVS in that location, or anywhere else on Main between Academy Street on the north and the stadium in the West End.

Archived