Main at McBee mixed use project

gman430

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see a list of the so-called "silly little shops" currently open along Main Street. How many shops are open and serve the downtown population? I'll bet the number serving the downtown population far outweighs the shops open mostly for visitors/tourists.

The only silly shop that comes to mind (for me, at least) is the gem mine. Reminds me of something you'd find in Maggie Valley, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge...

Completion of project has been changed to October 2011. New marketing package can be seen here: http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/A/F/C/AFC971A2-8008-4340-8DE9-0DE24EA3E0F7.pdf

I am impressed that the design even includes a covered drive-through window for prescription pickup. The roof garden and event space are intriguing also.

Although I wasn't entirely thrilled at first that the anchor would be a CVS, it sure will be better than the hole in the ground that occupies the site today!

Notice the map shows "future Peacock Hotel" lol.

Well, what do you expect the Peacock developers to do when banks aren't lending in the middle of the worst recession since the Great Depression? :dontknow: Money doesn't grow on trees.

This development is disappointing on a couple of levels. At two stories, the scale just doesn't seem big enough. I would like to see at least three stories. More importantly, there is a large "dead zone" of blank wall space along McBee. I know the building footprint makes it difficult to fit the CVS, but It's too bad that they couldn't have figured out a way to wrap the entire building with ground-floor retail and really activate the street/sidewalk. Also, I am very curious as to what kind of office rent they are asking and what kind of office tenant(s) might go in there.

This development is disappointing on a couple of levels. At two stories, the scale just doesn't seem big enough. I would like to see at least three stories. More importantly, there is a large "dead zone" of blank wall space along McBee. I know the building footprint makes it difficult to fit the CVS, but It's too bad that they couldn't have figured out a way to wrap the entire building with ground-floor retail and really activate the street/sidewalk. Also, I am very curious as to what kind of office rent they are asking and what kind of office tenant(s) might go in there.

I'm hoping for some sort of public art at that 'large' blank expanse. But, who knows what we'll get. Just simply having a building there and hopefully new sidewalks will be enticing enough to attract a greater flow of people to the shops at the Bookends.

Thank you for the update. It will be nice to see building construction downtown again.

I'm not sure when Regent Bank and the Custom House are slated for completion, but this will definitely ensure that construction and progress is continuing downtown... :thumbsup: Always movin' forward! :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

The city committed to up to $50,000 in streetscaping for McBee and Brown Streets in tandem with the CVS project.

Construction must start no later than the end of March and finish in 10 months, with some exceptions for typical construction delays.

I would expect this to start in January if not sooner.

• 3 weeks later...

There was construction equipment (backhoe) and men working inside the fence at the site today. Could things be starting?

A few days ago, I noticed a city sign had gone up at the intersection announcing that improvements will be coming to that area so I would assume so. :) Too bad it couldn't have been a bigger development though on such a prime piece of land downtown. :(

Here is a recent discussion about this project from another thread, since this thread is missing the latest design updates. I had to break it into multiple posts because this site limits the number of quotes you can include in a single post:

A change has been proposed to the previously approved building AND signs at 7 S Main Street. There's no details currently on the City's website, but I believe this is the two story CVS at the corner of Main & McBee. I wonder what's changing...? :dontknow:

Well, the changes for the proposed CVS at Main and McBee are up online. The second story has been mostly removed, only leaving a second floor on Main Street, but it has added two small retail spaces on McBee next to the Bookends, and on Main next to Wachovia Place.

I like the idea of two small retail additions, but I'm not sure about only one story for this site.

Yeah, it is unfortunate it got downsized but KDS has a deadline to meet for CVS and needed to get financing so they didn't really have a choice sadly.

I don't think anyone is against a drug store on Main, but the reduced project obviously doesn't represent the highest possible use of that lot.

I cant wait for this to be done, my shopping trips are finally getting to acceptable lengths with Publix being close by. This will cut down my BS shopping time even more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived