Main at McBee mixed use project

gman430

Here is a bit of information from Craig Gaulden Davis regarding the building's exterior along McBee Avenue:

...We are currently working with another client to incorporate a brick bas-relief sculpture into the building facade. Look for this installation in late summer on East McBee Avenue.

Source: http://cgdarch.posterous.com/think-brick-sculpture

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does all this have anything to do with the lack of activity on the site? Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't noticed anything going on over there for at least a week.

Could be. Not sure. It looks like all financing is complete so no worries on that end and the construction equipment is still on site. There are even signs for the development on the Main Street side of the site now. One shows a rendering of the project saying "CVS: coming soon" and the other one states who is doing the financing. Can't remember the company name though. Harper Corp. is the contractor. Oh and here is the pdf file showing the artwork Skyliner is talking about: http://www.greenvill...hMainStreet.pdf

• 1 month later...

And, another empty lot bites the dust! I'll take it.

Same here! I realize we all would have loved to see something mid-rise or taller here, but the fact that it is a much needed drug store more than makes up for the lack of height as far as I'm concerned. This is huge for continuing to thrive as a 24/7 downtown. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a mixed use project for the intersection of Main Street and McBee Avenue in downtown Greenville. CVS Pharmacy will be the main tenant. Total square footage is 35,000 square feet. Only second floor space (16,000 square feet) remains for lease. First floor is fully leased. KDS Properties is the developer. Slated opening is October 2010. Rendering below:

mainatmcbee.jpg

ProjectPictures005-A.jpg

Just compare the original building proposal to the current project and you'll understand why I remain disappointed by the change.

It's definitely understandable to be disappointed when you compare the two. The two TOTALLY different rendering styles doesn't help. The hand drawn, original shows life and atmosphere because of its sketchy nature and color use. The CVS proposal has hard, straight lines, and is pulled straight out of the computer.

Beyond that, we are gaining a much-needed drug store, and regaining function at an important intersection. Additionally, it's important to remember that this midrise building was NOT built due to a lack of secured tenants. I think we can all be thankful that we're not sitting here with a bunch of excess office space that was built as spec. There's still plenty of land for great projects to be built.

It's definitely understandable to be disappointed when you compare the two. The two TOTALLY different rendering styles doesn't help. The hand drawn, original shows life and atmosphere because of its sketchy nature and color use. The CVS proposal has hard, straight lines, and is pulled straight out of the computer.

Beyond that, we are gaining a much-needed drug store, and regaining function at an important intersection. Additionally, it's important to remember that this midrise building was NOT built due to a lack of secured tenants. I think we can all be thankful that we're not sitting here with a bunch of excess office space that was built as spec. There's still plenty of land for great projects to be built.

I'll concede that some people may not be able to see the comparison of reality through two different styles of artwork. That thought was never a consideration in my mind, as it seems perfectly clear how each of these proposals would appear in reality.

Calling the drug store "much-needed" is an overstatement of reality in my opinion. I understand the fact that it will provide more convenient access and will likely stay busy as a result, but the need for a pharmacy in downtown had previously been satisfied by Rite-Aid and Publix. Having said that, please understand my disappointment is based on nothing more than a direct comparison of the two (actually, three) proposals and the fact that we are unfortunately witnessing the construction of the least dynamic proposal. CVS could have just as easily been incorporated into a larger project, even if it was a building with two or three total floors. But one floor at that location? :blink:

Yes, I remain very disappointed -- not by the fact that something is actually being built there, but by what is not being built.

The real need is for additional Class A office space. Fortunately we may soon hear more about that.

I'll concede that some people may not be able to see the comparison of reality through two different styles of artwork. That thought was never a consideration in my mind, as it seems perfectly clear how each of these proposals would appear in reality.

Calling the drug store "much-needed" is an overstatement of reality in my opinion. I understand the fact that it will provide more convenient access and will likely stay busy as a result, but the need for a pharmacy in downtown had previously been satisfied by Rite-Aid and Publix. Having said that, please understand my disappointment is based on nothing more than a direct comparison of the two (actually, three) proposals and the fact that we are unfortunately witnessing the construction of the least dynamic proposal. CVS could have just as easily been incorporated into a larger project, even if it was a building with two or three total floors. But one floor at that location? :blink:

Yes, I remain very disappointed -- not by the fact that something is actually being built there, but by what is not being built.

The real need is for additional Class A office space. Fortunately we may soon hear more about that.

Anyone who's disappointed by this development...may I suggest that you stand across McBee Street and look first at the active construction on the CVS project, and then look to your right at the stagnant-for-more-than-3-years eyesore known as "The Peacock."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After spending several days in Chicago last week, it's become more apparent to me than ever that any real city absolutely must have drugstores like this downtown. I think there is a Walgreen's every other block there. And they were all packed.

I wonder if the typical CVS/Walgreen's phenomenon will happen downtown and we'll see a Walgreen's pop up soon.

After spending several days in Chicago last week, it's become more apparent to me than ever that any real city absolutely must have drugstores like this downtown. I think there is a Walgreen's every other block there. And they were all packed.

I wonder if the typical CVS/Walgreen's phenomenon will happen downtown and we'll see a Walgreen's pop up soon.

Walgreen's was supposedly looking in the West End within the last 1-2 years (e.g., the "green monster" building at 708 South Main Street) but I don't know if they are still actively searching for sites. I think they would be a good fit in the West End. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

The brick sculptures on the McBee facade are now up. They looked fantastic at the quick glance I snagged when passing this afternoon!

They all seem to be a collage of things, but the middle one is of the former Kress building, and one of the others is the liberty bridge and such.

I'll have to check them out up close, but at first glance, I give them a BIG thumbs up!

Archived