JFG Sign coming down

ScottCLT

The old brightly-lit JFG sign on 277 is coming down on Monday. This has turned into a bit of a historic landmark, often part of a skyline photo. This kind of reminds me of the Citgo sign in Boston. Enough people raised enough hell there about it when it was scheduled to be removed, and it worked. It's still there today. I wish we could keep our JFG sign, but a normal, unmemorable sign for OrthoCarolina is going in its place. Too bad. I don't think that Charlotte has any ties to JFG (could be wrong), but I'm so used to seeing it there that it will be missed.

Edit:

So, the new sign is actually supposed to be lit up also, replacing the "JFG" with "ACL" as a tribute to the sign. Sorry, but I think that's just cheesy.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old brightly-lit JFG sign on 277 is coming down on Monday. This has turned into a bit of a historic landmark, often part of a skyline photo. This kind of reminds me of the Citgo sign in Boston. Enough people raised enough hell there about it when it was scheduled to be removed, and it worked. It's still there today. I wish we could keep our JFG sign, but a normal, unmemorable sign for OrthoCarolina is going in its place. Too bad. I don't think that Charlotte has any ties to JFG (could be wrong), but I'm so used to seeing it there that it will be missed.

Edit:

So, the new sign is actually supposed to be lit up also, replacing the "JFG" with "ACL" as a tribute to the sign. Sorry, but I think that's just cheesy.

Sad - I remember when it used to alternate lights between the letters. LOL @ ACL ..

Charlotte, the city that doesn't keep anything older than 20 years.

cry.gif I haz a sad over the JFG sign coming down.... it's location gave that stretch of the skyline a little kitsch appeal. It's the older mixed stuff that makes a city interesting. Only having brand new slick and modern does not make an interesting urban vibe.

Agreed! Tom's quote is right on the money. Meanwhile, Roanoke, Virginia's neon signs for Dr Pepper and H&C Coffee are so much a part of local culture that the art museum sells miniature replicas of them!

J F G Coffee is out of Knoxville. It's name is the initials of the founder. They have an identical sign which I believe is still standing. The building which once housed the company has now been renovated into condos and it also has neon singage on the roof, all of which has been redone as part of the project. Charlotte can really let me down sometimes.

Agreed! Tom's quote is right on the money. Meanwhile, Roanoke, Virginia's neon signs for Dr Pepper and H&C Coffee are so much a part of local culture that the art museum sells miniature replicas of them!

A little closer to home, Columbia has the Adluh Flour neon sign which is like a local icon:

3302443224_decc4cf542_o.jpg

So good news possibly in the Observer today. They wish to save the old sign and relocate it, possibly restoring it to it's former glory with flashing lights and everything. I think it would be great on the Brookshire which would be an awesome skyline shot. This weekend I finally so the sign that replaced it and it is absolutely awful. Bad color, bad layout, bad everything.

• 4 weeks later...

So, has the new "ACL" sign been put up yet? If so does anyone have any pictures of it?

Thanks

The new sign is up and has been for some time. Someone posted back on Nov 9 about the new sign. I drove by it on Saturday. It's just a billboard...nothing too noteworthy to me. But, it's not the JFG sign...so it would be a hard sign to like.

The new sign is up and has been for some time. Someone posted back on Nov 9 about the new sign. I drove by it on Saturday. It's just a billboard...nothing too noteworthy to me. But, it's not the JFG sign...so it would be a hard sign to like.

Obviously, I overlooked the post about the new sign being already up. I agree with everyone that the JFG sign needs to be placed somewhere along the Brookshire. It would be a great shot with skyline behind it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived