Elections 2009

beyonce245

So I'm pretty bummed about the election results in Greensboro. The results seem to be a dream come true for the far right and the Rhino Times crowd, which scares me. I'm concerned that race relations in the city might deteriorate because of derogatory comments that the now mayor-elect made during the campaign about the police chief. He's talked about being in favor of opening the White Street Landfill, which in my opinion, is environmental discrimination. He doesn't strike me as very inclusive, which upsets me because I want Greensboro to be a welcoming place to people of all backgrounds and lifestyles. He seems really cozy to the development industry, and I'm afraid his conservative philosophies might impede good growth management and more progressive planning for the city's future.

What do you all think. What will be effect on Greensboro over the next two years? What about the elections in Winston-Salem?

The one bright spot for me: The Natural Science Center bond passed overwhelmingly, which will allow this already great facility to become even more amazing.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mayor results are clearly a big upset. Everyone expected Yvonne Johnson to get re-elected. Its actually depressing because Greensboro's new mayor will be a 70 year old man who I doubt is a very forward thinking person in regards to the direction of Greensboro. Hes very conservative as well. Conservatism is what has strangled Greensboro's growth over the past several decades. The good news is that despite all that, the mayor in Greensboro has limited control over the direction of the city but he will be a vote in council's decisions. The mayor results also seem to be divided by color. The white districts overwhelmingly voted for Bill Knight while the black districts supported Yvonne Jonhnson. Translation, east Greensboro for Yvonne Johnson and west Greensboro for Bill Knight. It has been noted that low turn out in black districts is the reason Yvonne Johnson lost. The difference in votes was less than a thousand. Black turnout was higher when Yvonne Johnson won the election two years ago.

Bill Knight certainly pulled a surprising upset. East Greensboro didn't get out and vote.

I don't know Mr. Knight so I don't think it would be fair for me to pass judgment. Hopefully he will do a great job. As cityboi has said Greensboro's mayor really doesn't have anymore power then anyone else on the council. He gets to run the meetings and gets a distinguishing title but in the end he gets one vote like everyone else. Probably more disappointing to me is just not having Johnson's experience on the council anymore. She has always conducted herself well imo. But hopefully Mr. Knight will do a good job.

Bill Knight certainly pulled a surprising upset. East Greensboro didn't get out and vote.

I don't know Mr. Knight so I don't think it would be fair for me to pass judgment. Hopefully he will do a great job. As cityboi has said Greensboro's mayor really doesn't have anymore power then anyone else on the council. He gets to run the meetings and gets a distinguishing title but in the end he gets one vote like everyone else. Probably more disappointing to me is just not having Johnson's experience on the council anymore. She has always conducted herself well imo. But hopefully Mr. Knight will do a good job.

I think it was a number of factors why Knight won. First I do think Johnson supporters thought she had it locked so they didnt feel the need to go out and vote. remember she only lost by about 900 votes. Also precincts in west greensboro had a higher than average voter turn out. Then there is newly annexed territory that made the difference. Some in the News & Record pointed out thats its part racism and part political. With a black police chief, black city-manager, black school superintendent and a black man head of the county commissioners, some have suggested that people think there are too many African-Americans in power and that translates into to too much liberalism.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/11/04/article/western_northwest_turnout_pushed_knight_s_mayoral_win

Archived