Embedding maps into a post...

Neo

We once allowed custom Google Maps to be posted directly into a forum post, but unfortunately had to discontinue this feature as it did not work 100% of the time. I've been looking for a workaround ever since and I'm proud to announce the ability to embed custom maps into posts once again!

We're using a service called UMapper which is completely free to use. Here's the procedure to embed a custom map into a post:

1. Visit UMapper.com
  2. Click Create Map. You can create your map without a user account, but if you do choose not to, you will not have the ability to save your custom map(s). Accounts are completely free.
  3. Choose the type of map you wish to use. You can choose any of the available options (i.e. Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc). Enter a title and description and click Submit.
  4. A world map will now appear where you can zoom in and add custom data. Custom data tools are along the right-hand side and allow for such things as drawing lines, shapes, placing pins, etc. Once you have completed entering custom data (remember, you can come back and add to the map later if you have a free account with UMapper.com) click Save.
  5. In the address bar you will have something that looks like this: umapper.com/maps/edit/id/46251/
  6. All you need to embed your map into a post is the map ID number which in the above example would be 46251
  7. Once you have the map ID number, create your post/reply and click the UMapper icon in the editor: umapper.png
  8. It will ask you for the map ID so type in your unique map ID (i.e. 46251) and click Add.
  9. After finalizing your post you will see the map displayed.

Here is an example:

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days