Crime: is it on the Rise or Fall in your City?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There just so happens to be a story on this very topic on the front page of today's Providence Journal website:

PROVIDENCE -- Major crime has dropped 11 percent in Providence over the first six months of this year, Mayor David N. Cicilline and Police Chief Dean Esserman announced this morning.

The homicide rate showed the most significant drop, down 78 percent when compared to the first six months of 2003, according to Cicilline and Esserman.

Other major crimes also fell, including rape by force, down 11 percent; robbery, down 29 percent; aggravated assault, down 15 percent, motor vehicle theft, down 20 percent; burglary, down 10 percent and larceny, down five percent.

-Full Story from The Providence Journal

G W, you guys only average 5-6 murders a year? I hope the violence ends soon, but in the past 10 days KCMO has had 11 murders; KCK 10, and the rest of the metro cities combinde have had about 4. People feel the need to settle their differences with violence, thats how my grandpa got killed, they shot him in the head during a robbery...

But you also have to consider that several of those come from that crazy idiot who held those hostages.

Most homicides occur by someone you know, so it doesn't really increase your risks if you live in that city.

KCMO can't do much about the crime in KCK but they can improve their own crime rate. (which hopefully they will do)

I don't know exactly how many homicides there have been in Detroit this year, but it has been a lot. A lot of them are multiple shootings - 3 people here, 8 people there. There has been a lot of gun violence in the city, and also a tremendous outcry trying to stop it. With that said, the police chief says that the homide rate will probably still be the same as last year's, which was the lowest homicide rate since 1967.

When I lived in Chicago I remember them saying on the news that they had the highest murder rate in the country, even higher than NYC. Not sure if this is true anymore, this was a couple of years ago.

New York City actually has a very low crime rate for its size... Heck, Springfield, Massachusetts and Virginia Beach, Virginia and many others all have higher crime rates than NYC.

I don't buy that whole argument that a city isn't more dangerous because murders are between people that know each other and are not random. Murders are murders. If a city has dozens of murders every year, and people who know each other are killing each other, that means you're more likely to get to know someone who will kill you. Beyond that is the pshychologicl effects of living in an area where people are killing each other, especially the pshychological effects on the young and impressionable. Young people see this gang culture, and get caught up in it themselves. Something has to be done to stop it.

I'm very sorry about your grandfather ghettoboi. A guy I went to high school with was murdered over a drug deal, and a guy I met in Florida was later murdered by Cubans who stole his boat to try and smuggle their friends from Cuba to Key West.

Thanks G_W_north, alot of people in this country are affected by crime everyday. I know a lot of young males and females who try to live the gang-banger life, but what they don't realize is they look like fools. monsoon, anything could happen. Last Oct. one of my Puerto Rican friends was murdered by a cuban immigrant. Plus, there is a friend of my family who is Cuban, and he use to be one of the biggest drug suppliers in my old neighborhood. But you are also right almost every Cuban I've ever met are very nice people, even the friend of the family who was a drug supplier is and was then a very nice man...

>>That last scenario is really hard to believe. A plan that involves stealing a boat from a murdered American that then has to be sailed out of US waters, smuggled into Cuba, loaded with friends who are refugees, then sailed out of Cuban waters again and back thru American coastal defenses, does not sound like a very good one.<<

I didn't make this up. It happened, but I don't know how far they got with it. About it being an "impossible situation", I've been to Cuba, and the life there is nothing like the American media (especially the anti-Communist media) would make it out to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived