Downtown Homeless Shelter?

grock

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only is it true . . but it was quietly managed to avoid any public scrutiny. The Business Improvement District was asked to delay communicating this info to the business owners. More concerning, is that Miguel Matos estimated that over 50% of the participants are registered sex offenders. I am aware of one major business announcement that was cancelled due to this new information. While not immune to the plight of the homeless, to put a shelter that kicks its residents out at 7 am each day to spill into the cbd at rush hour. . that includes a high percentage of sex offenders next to two apartment buildings, the city's crown jewel (bushnell park) and blocks from a magnet school . . is bad policy. and seriously puts at risk the cbds fragile recovery.

guys, don't worry, it's not a real "shelter'. it's only a bus station for the proposed hartford to new britain bus line... we're going to bus our homeless to new britain :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

way to go hartford :dunno:

Is this true? Mayor Perez wants to put a homeless shelter on Lewis Street?

http://blogs.courant...helter-con.html

so here is a little info from the paper.

looks like they are leaning towards that church building next to Vitos on the corner of gold and Lewis.

217 Washington Street was at least well outside of downtown.

It seems to me that the city could put the shelter on Windsor Street. This city has so many buildings capable of supporting the community, the last thing it needs to do is put homeless people in downtown.

There has to be a location on a bus line that is simular to 217 Washington.

its also a Winter only "no freeze" shelter, so it has limited seasonal use.

We should build a shelter just north of the new public safety building. it should also house the methadone clinics/parole offices etc that are littered around the city.

Wow.

Hartford will never get it right. I'm sure the people who just spent millions rehabbing Lewis St. over the last few years are real excited about this one. The south end of Main St. is the way it is just because of this. Development is hindered by homeless shelters, halfway houses and a methadone clinic all within a few blocks of each other. Have you ever seen Barnard Park during the day? I don't know who ever thought this was a good idea but it should be fought every inch of the way. You can't expect people to invest millions when you throw this in their backyard. Forget someone developing the corner of Pearl and Lewis into an apartment building.

have you seen/walked through bushnell park on any summer day for that matter? i see the same faces on the same benches for years. in the summer it's a camp-for-all in the park. it disturbs me to jog through there. one of the skives followed my girlfriend around when she was out running there.

the city needs to get some balls and enact vagrancy laws. sure, people need help, but when you're loitering around for 3 years in the same spot, you're obviously not doing anything else to help yourself and should kindly move on.

Have you ever seen Barnard Park during the day? I don't know who ever thought this was a good idea but it should be fought every inch of the way. You can't expect people to invest millions when you throw this in their backyard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived