American Bread (bakery)

GrSportsGuy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't go by Bridge Street very often, but I went past American Bread today and it was closed and there was paper over the windows. Did they go out of business? If so, that's too bad. They were an institution.

They closed a couple months ago. Here's the story: http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2009/08/american_bakery_a_centuryold_i.html

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Must have missed that. Thanks for the answer.

Yeah it was indeed sad to see it go. Someone now is doing some work inside the building which explains the papers being taped on the windows. Before church one Sunday, I'd figure I'd try and see what was going on inside. Little did I know, there was a white van parked in front of the bakery and someone working inside there on a Sunday? So as of right now, I'm not sure of what the future plans are for the bakery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Original date was February 1st, and then it moved to new year's day but now it's moved back to Februrary. When I looked through the window last week, it looks like they still have a lot of work to do in the kitchen area. The old sinks and kitchen equipment were gone and torn out and there was nothing in that space.

• 3 months later...

Well the bakery had received the OK to open up on Friday, May 1st and on Monday while the owner was warming up the oven to start baking some goods for the opening, the top of the oven caught fire. They were lead to believe that the cause of the fire was due to some faulty electrical wiring. The fire did spread into the attic and do about $250,000-$350,000 worth of damage though. I'm now beginning to wonder if they are ever going to open?

• 3 months later...

Well the bakery had received the OK to open up on Friday, May 1st and on Monday while the owner was warming up the oven to start baking some goods for the opening, the top of the oven caught fire. They were lead to believe that the cause of the fire was due to some faulty electrical wiring. The fire did spread into the attic and do about $250,000-$350,000 worth of damage though. I'm now beginning to wonder if they are ever going to open?

I am going to say it whether people like it or not, but I don't think there's any hope of the bakery opening anymore. The phone number is disconnected and not much progress is taking place over there from when it since caught fire.

• 2 years later...

Lately over at the American Bakery building, it appears that some new people bought the building and I'm not sure of what's going to be in the space of the old American Bakery building.  There are some new lights hanging from the ceiling, but other than that, it doesn't look like much is happening in there.  If anyone knows anything of what's going on overthere, please let me know.

Lately over at the American Bakery building, it appears that some new people bought the building and I'm not sure of what's going to be in the space of the old American Bakery building.  There are some new lights hanging from the ceiling, but other than that, it doesn't look like much is happening in there.  If anyone knows anything of what's going on overthere, please let me know.

Don't know a lot about it, but I think it's still this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Civic-Studio/133396904517

Archived