45 members have voted

1. 1. How long is your morning commute?

• Work at home
    • 1-5 minutes
    • 6-14 minutes
    • 15-30 minutes
    • 31-60 minutes
    • More than an hour
  2. 2. What method do you use for your commute?

• Work at home
    • Walk
    • Taxi
    • Personal automobile
    • Bus
    • Commuter rail
    • Rail transit (i.e. light rail, subway, streetcar, etc.)
    • Bike
    • Other
    • Multi-modal
  3. 3. What is the distance of your commute?

• Work at home
    • <1 miles
    • 1-3 miles
    • 4-6 miles
    • 7-10 miles
    • 11-20 miles
    • 21-30 miles
    • 31-40 miles
    • 41-60 miles
    • More than 60 miles

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 3.5 miles, roughly 10 minutes. Because of the nature of my work and other daily activities, I must use my personal auto. I can't bike, I wouldn't anyway, drivers around here are insane, I fear for my life. Bus trip would actually take 30+ minutes and be an ultimately longer trip in mileage, plus it's cheaper for me to operate a personal vehicle than it would be to take the bus, which is really too bad. Can't walk due to the nature of what I need to do in a given day.

• 1 month later...

I'm a grad student, so my commute varies. Some days I take a bus or a combination of bus and rail to my internship in downtown Boston. Some days I walk, bike, or take the bus to campus. Other days I work at home.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

75 miles one way @ 1 hour 25 minutes (though it usually takes me 1:05 when I drive). Thankfully, I at least carpool with two others. The irony is that I travel from the larger city to a smaller city.

Wow, I figured the only folks who commuted that far lived in either New York or Los Angeles! blink.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 minutes by bicycle via Market Street to Grant Ave, cycle two blocks down to Sutter Street, make a left turn onto Sutter Street and bike two blocks uphill to 450 Sutter Medical Office Building near Powell St...
  • 10 minutes walk up Powell Street from the foot of Market Street to Sutter Street including a 5 to 10 minute wait for dark roast drip coffee at a Starbucks (six shops to choose from walking up Powell Street from Market to Sutter Street).  When running late (usually in office between 9 and 9:30 but no later than 10 a.m.) I attempt to choose the SB without the longest line...If that fails as if often does with so many tourists in every line, upon reaching Sutter Street and the office continue downhill to Grant Ave, then one block uphill to Bush; the Starbucks there has the shortest line and the wait time is shorter compared to all the downtown tourist traps cluttered around Powell Street and Union Sq like  Sutter at Powell's Sir Francis Drake Hotel, Stockton at Sutter, O'Farrell at Powell, O'Farrell Hotel Nikko, Powell Street Station, 4th Floor Macy's bldg/Union Sq...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

After giving up the idea of being one of the new pioneers to live in Central Market that never sleeps but is slowly getting better if you like a lot  of noise and restless people, my commute is no longer so easy from living now in the AVEs in the Sunset to get to FiDi/Nob Hill...though, the boss did consider having a limo pick me up to get Cp into the office..but I thought that was a bit too much...so forget the N-Judah, the 6Parnassus, the 71Haight (all bad and very slow and so crowded I wanted to throw up) and the commute can take up to 1.5 hours just to get to downtown and that's in a good day. Rainy days are a nightmare...so just relax, sit back and read or sleep.

but this morning for a 9:30 am conf. call with our graphic designer in cool Atlanta where I was told about all the snow and ice before we got down to business I made it on time by taking the N-Judah Express that stops no more after picking up the last of us at 19th Ave at Judah. and it's smooth sailing out of the Ave's, across GGPark, through Pacific Hts with a skyline view and finally the stop in the heart of the FiDi at Montgomery Street and Bush. The driver, a big guy with a beard and wearing white sunglasses, wishes everyone a most pleasant day.  Commute was only 25 minutes...Let's see if I can repeat that tomorrow and the next day until I am ready to leave the Sunset...

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived