Expanded 3G coverage from AT&T

Neo

I just received an e-mail from AT&T announcing new coverage for several areas of the state, including 800 square miles of new coverage for the greater Concord area including Kannapolis, Mooresville, Salisbury and along the I-77 corridor up to Statesville. As an iPhone customer I'm glad they're finally giving the Charlotte metro more coverage. Not sure when it will be turned on, just says that it's coming soon.

You may or may not know that AT&T is including Charlotte in its initial release of HSDPA coverage (7.2Mbit/s). I'm not sure if this includes the metro areas (i.e. Concord, Gastonia, etc) however. HSDPA should be available in Charlotte by the end of the year. :thumbsup:

Here is the text from today's announcement:

AT&T in the Carolinas continues to expand our network as we work around the clock to provide you with the best possible experience. To date, we’ve already added 62 new sites in 2009, with more on the way!

AT&T’s 3G wireless network gives our customers the ability to stay connected to the information and content that is most important to them. This is part of our ongoing commitment to provide North and South Carolina customers with cutting-edge services, streamlined customer care and greater convenience.

We are proud to announce the following 3G network launches and expansions! Whether you are visiting or a full time resident, enjoy blazing fast speeds on the AT&T mobile broadband 3G network!

North Carolina

• Havelock, NC – Just over 90 square miles of new 3G network coverage including covering the home of Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point!
  • Wilmington, NC area – Nearly 300 square miles of new 3G network coverage including covering greater New Hanover County and along the beaches from Wrightsville Beach to Kure Beach!
    • Asheville, NC – With nearly 400 square miles of new 3G network coverage including the greater Asheville and south along I-26 towards Hendersonville!
    • Greater Concord, NC area – With over 800 square miles of new 3G network coverage including coverage along I-77 north from Huntersville to Statesville, I-85 north towards Greensboro, Kannapolis, Salisbury and Mooresville!
    • Hickory, NC area – Over 200 square miles of new 3G network coverage covering the greater Hickory area!

South Carolina

• Florence, SC – Just over 190 square miles of new 3G network coverage covering greater Florence, SC!
    • Charleston, SC area – Increasing 3G network coverage by 319%, over 700 square miles of additional 3G network coverage including Summerville, Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, James Island and Folly Beach!
    • Greenville, SC area – Increasing 3G network coverage by 190%, over 1,000 square miles of additional 3G network coverage including Anderson, SC, along SR 76 to Clemson, SC, along SR 123 to Greenville, SC and surrounding areas of Spartanburg, SC including Boiling Springs and Roebuck!

Thank you for choosing AT&T to be your communications provider and look for future network announcements soon!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for anyone in Concord, I can confirm that AT&T turned on 3G last night around 10PM from what I can tell. Not sure if this is permanent or they're just toying with me since their announcement said "coming soon." Regardless, it is great to see AT&T continuing to expand coverage. Obviously they have a looooong way to go to catch up to Verizon...which is why my wife has a Verizon account. I know that at least one of us should have coverage wherever we go. :P

Wonder why Rock Hill and surrounding areas were left out of the SC expansion. Seems to me that since York County, being so close to Charlotte, AT&T could do better. I have an iPhone too and although there is sporadic 3G coverage in Rock Hill, I still have issues with it and have sometimes traveled miles within the town just to find a 3G spot.

I am so looking forward to the day that Verizon & Apple can work a deal with the iPhone. I'll drop AT&T like a hot potato.

Wonder why Rock Hill and surrounding areas were left out of the SC expansion. Seems to me that since York County, being so close to Charlotte, AT&T could do better. I have an iPhone too and although there is sporadic 3G coverage in Rock Hill, I still have issues with it and have sometimes traveled miles within the town just to find a 3G spot.

I am so looking forward to the day that Verizon & Apple can work a deal with the iPhone. I'll drop AT&T like a hot potato.

There are some advantages of having a smart phone on AT&T's GSM-based network as opposed to Verizon's CDMA network. One being that AT&T's network can handle voice & data simultaneously, meaning you can use apps while you are talking, such as looking up a phone number to give to the caller, or looking up directions on maps, etc. Verizon's network cannot handle those separately.

So, it's a trade off of sorts. So far I haven't had any problems making actual phone calls with the iPhone. I did extensive traveling over the summer through the Outer Banks, mountains, etc and had service. Didn't always have 3G though. I'll be keeping the iPhone at least until my 2 year plan is up in June 2010 and then I'll explore the current state of options.

Archived