Infill projects in downtown Fayetteville

mzweig

• 1 month later...

I was looking at Modus Studio's website to see if I could find some more info on the 555 Maple project when I came across something called Collier Plaza. Looks like this could be some sort of possible resurrection of the St Charles Plaza idea from a few years ago. Has anyone heard anything about this? Here's a link to their website.

http://www.modusstud.../collier-place/

And an example of one of the renderings of their website.

11.21%20collier%20place-%20project%20plate%2018.jpg?pictureId=14006554&asGalleryImage=true

OMG. I mean wow. Fayetteville is about to become the best college town around. If all of these Modus projects get built, and a few more developments happen, how amazing is the downtown area going to be? I can't even imagine this.

I think it already is, of course, but these kinds of downtown projects that have started sprouting up are very impressive and will certainly enhance the feel of the overall downtown area. Very impressed with the direction things are headed in downtown Fayetteville, the pace of development is impressive.

• 5 months later...

I believe there is a new cottage development coming where the "Narrow Escapes" building was supposed to go. Its right alongside the train tracks, at Frisco Avenue. This is a block NW of Wilson Park, south of North Street.

Seems like I've been hearing a lot about a number of cottage developments. I'm curious to see one of these completed to see what they're like.

Seems like I've been hearing a lot about a number of cottage developments. I'm curious to see one of these completed to see what they're like.

I know I'm the critic but I just hope whatever goes up has the right architectural details. I am damn sick of "cottages" and "bungalows" that have the wrong windows (no muntins or wrong muntin pattern), wrong doors, wrong siding, wrong proportions, wrong window locations, bad rooflines, wacky columns (I've seen a lot of that lately), ugly paving, bad landscaping, wrong light fixtures, etc.

Do something good--not a crappy characature of it!

Mark

• 3 months later...

Guys--the mega student housing projects we have going in on "Crazy Eric's Corner" and in and around Maple and Lafayette are going to be transformational.  I cannot believe all the concrete--wow!  These are going to be some real buildings.  The effect of all these added people living in the downtown area will have to be a good one for our businesses in and around Dickson and The Square.  It's pretty amazing really that these developers are taking the kinds of risks they are but God bless 'em!  We are going to be a real city before long.  Mark

Guys--the mega student housing projects we have going in on "Crazy Eric's Corner" and in and around Maple and Lafayette are going to be transformational.  I cannot believe all the concrete--wow!  These are going to be some real buildings.  The effect of all these added people living in the downtown area will have to be a good one for our businesses in and around Dickson and The Square.  It's pretty amazing really that these developers are taking the kinds of risks they are but God bless 'em!  We are going to be a real city before long.  Mark

I don't know about transformational but it will be a big change...btw do you--or anyone else know--if it's really ~ 650 apartments in that place?  I think it must be bedrooms, doesn't seem like nearly enough building for 650 separate apartments...

I know I wouldn't take the risk, hope they fill up as the rents seems high to me.  Maybe they are dscounting from list prices.

I don't know about transformational but it will be a big change...btw do you--or anyone else know--if it's really ~ 650 apartments in that place?  I think it must be bedrooms, doesn't seem like nearly enough building for 650 separate apartments...

I know I wouldn't take the risk, hope they fill up as the rents seems high to me.  Maybe they are dscounting from list prices.

Bedrooms.

• 7 months later...

Looks like a new 150 unit, 6 story building is being proposed behind Collier's Drug.  This is not Modus/Specialized, but a different company.

Anybody heard anything recently about Block & Dickson?

This project has been in the works for years or at least one similar to it on the same location.  I did see something recently on the Planning Commission Agenda about it.  Just said 152 units on an acre lot with parking.  Thanks for the picture wmr!

Yeah just heard about this project behind Collier's.  Pretty sure this was the same location for the St James Plaza condos that never happened.

Here is the developer's website:  http://www.raelcorp.com/

Article from Fayetteville Flyer: http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2013/09/18/more-student-apartments-planned-off-dickson-street/

I'm surprised they are picking this location for student housing. It is a long walk to campus so students will likely either still drive or catch Razorback Transit. I guess with the explosion in scooter use will help the location be successful. I think the design is great and the location off Dickson (as opposed to right on Dickson or Block) is a very appropriate use of the property.

I'm surprised they are picking this location for student housing. It is a long walk to campus so students will likely either still drive or catch Razorback Transit. I guess with the explosion in scooter use will help the location be successful. I think the design is great and the location off Dickson (as opposed to right on Dickson or Block) is a very appropriate use of the property.

Guess I hadn't thought about the distance of it from the campus.  But I don't think it's too bad.  But obviously a very nice location for other things like hitting Dickson St.   :D

• 3 weeks later...

LSD 13-4524: Large Scale Development (INTERSECTION OF W. CENTER ST. & S. HILL AVE./HARVEY’S HILL, 483): Submitted by MCCLELLAND CONSULTING ENGINEERS, INC. for property located at the INTERSECTION OF WEST CENTER STREET AND SOUTH HILL AVENUE. The property is zoned RMF-40, RESIDENTIAL MULTI-FAMILY, 40 UNITS PER ACRE and DG, DOWNTOWN GENERAL and contains approximately 2.08 acres. The request is to build 175

units with parking deck.      

Another one?  I don't have any specifics on this one yet but it looks like another midrise apartment community is in the works near the downtown/university area.  How many is too many I wonder.  Although I do like seeing larger developments in the downtown area.

LSD 13-4524: Large Scale Development (INTERSECTION OF W. CENTER ST. & S. HILL AVE./HARVEY’S HILL, 483): Submitted by MCCLELLAND CONSULTING ENGINEERS, INC. for property located at the INTERSECTION OF WEST CENTER STREET AND SOUTH HILL AVENUE. The property is zoned RMF-40, RESIDENTIAL MULTI-FAMILY, 40 UNITS PER ACRE and DG, DOWNTOWN GENERAL and contains approximately 2.08 acres. The request is to build 175

units with parking deck.      

Another one?  I don't have any specifics on this one yet but it looks like another midrise apartment community is in the works near the downtown/university area.  How many is too many I wonder.  Although I do like seeing larger developments in the downtown area.

Isn't this the same project that Specialized already announced and rezoned? This is just the next step of the process.

Isn't this the same project that Specialized already announced and rezoned? This is just the next step of the process.

It could be but that one is well underway on construction and on the corner of Duncan and Center.  This one from what I can tell is a block to the east?  I certainly could be wrong as I have not done any research aside from looking at a map...

If the streets are correct it puts it next door to Eco Modern Flats I believe.

Or I just missed this one completely and this was the first I heard of it...

Edited by strmchsr77

This could be the second phase of a project that emerged last November. Two large chunks of land were rezoned, one on each side of Duncan. The western portion became The Cardinal. You can see it better in the map here: http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2012/11/27/developers-plan-new-housing-complex-near-ua-campus/

• Like 1

This could be the second phase of a project that emerged last November. Two large chunks of land were rezoned, one on each side of Duncan. The western portion became The Cardinal. You can see it better in the map here: http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2012/11/27/developers-plan-new-housing-complex-near-ua-campus/

My understanding was that Specialized and partners purchased all the property in a large buy, but were developing the portion at Harmon first and then moving east. But, I may be wrong as I have only heard word through second hand channels.