Infill projects in downtown Fayetteville

mzweig

This could be the second phase of a project that emerged last November. Two large chunks of land were rezoned, one on each side of Duncan. The western portion became The Cardinal. You can see it better in the map here: http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2012/11/27/developers-plan-new-housing-complex-near-ua-campus/

My understanding was that Specialized and partners purchased all the property in a large buy, but were developing the portion at Harmon first and then moving east. But, I may be wrong as I have only heard word through second hand channels.

Thanks guys!  So same developers but a separate development.  I either missed that Flyer article or just forgot about it...

Seems the Funky bunch will pass an ordinance that will stop developements like Frisco with very restrictive height and setback measures. So much for density and all that stuff. Making development exponentially harder will cause Fayetteville to fall farther behind it's peers as it gets landlocked and doesn't exploit verticality.

Edited by TRB

Seems the Funky bunch will pass an ordinance that will stop developements like Frisco with very restrictive height and setback measures. So much for density and all that stuff. Making development exponentially harder will cause Fayetteville to fall farther behind it's peers as it gets landlocked and doesn't exploit verticality.

I read that also. That ordinance is a development killer (which I think is the goal considering who came up with it). Thankfully, it was sent to the Planning Commission for review. Hopefully they will strip out most of it or reject it completely and the Council will not pass it.

I read that also. That ordinance is a development killer (which I think is the goal considering who came up with it). Thankfully, it was sent to the Planning Commission for review. Hopefully they will strip out most of it or reject it completely and the Council will not pass it.

they are still fighting the ghost of Brandon Barber.

• Like 1

Here is information regarding the other Specialized development that will be trying to get approval on the corner of Hill and Duncan.  It looks pretty much like all of the other developments they are doing.  At first glance I thought it was the one the other group was doing behind Collier's on Dickson.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2013/oct/17/more-housing-planned-20131017/?news-arkansas-nwa-Fayetteville

If you have been around Urban Planet long enough you know my feelings on these completely ridiculous height restrictions.  While I understand a 35 story building would look out of place in downtown Fayetteville, I still think that the 6-12 story restriction is way too low.  Build up not out!

• Like 2

Here is information regarding the other Specialized development that will be trying to get approval on the corner of Hill and Duncan.  It looks pretty much like all of the other developments they are doing.  At first glance I thought it was the one the other group was doing behind Collier's on Dickson.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2013/oct/17/more-housing-planned-20131017/?news-arkansas-nwa-Fayetteville

If you have been around Urban Planet long enough you know my feelings on these completely ridiculous height restrictions.  While I understand a 35 story building would look out of place in downtown Fayetteville, I still think that the 6-12 story restriction is way too low.  Build up not out!

Can't agree with you more.  

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some great new infill under construction in the Mill District.  That area is really starting to take off.  When Arsaga's opens and the university design district gets going, the good real estate deals will be long gone.

http://www.jacobsnewellcompany.com/sycamore-phase-ii/

http://www.jacobsnewellcompany.com/mill-project

Someone should really think about buying that strip of grass between the Mill Condos and S. School.  You could put a row of Dickson-deep buildings there and lease to restaurants/bars.  Put a couple of floors of apts up top, and the city has its secondary entertainment district.  

Edited by wmr

Here's some great new infill under construction in the Mill District.  That area is really starting to take off.  When Arsaga's opens and the university design district gets going, the good real estate deals will be long gone.

Someone should really think about buying that strip of grass between the Mill Condos and S. School.  You could put a row of Dickson-deep buildings there and lease to restaurants/bars.  Put a couple of floors of apts up top, and the city has its secondary entertainment district.  

Is the Arsaga's in the Mill District a done deal?  Last I heard was that they were looking into it but hadn't committed.

My wife and I are building a J+N house on 7th St, behind the Church St houses; they're a great developer, fantastic design sense and great attention to sustainability with a sound focus on the sort of in-fill that Fayetteville says it wants (but the city planning commitee seems to try so hard to prevent).  Unfortunatly, I understand that frustration with the city planning committee has basically chased the majority of their future efforts up to Bentonville, at least for now.  If not them, I hope somebody else develops the remaining vacant lots near the mill; orginally J+N planned to buy both of the available lots near Greenhouse Grille but that hasn't happened and doesn't look likely anytime soon. 

I noticed when Frisco Trail was extended accross MLK/6th St, heavy duty utilities were put in at the now-vacant lot adjacent to the Coop; my guess is, we'll likely see retail/commercial space go in there first.  You're right; with the right vision & planning, the Mill District could quickly become a new secondary entertainment district, particuarlly given how easy of a walk/bike ride it is from much of the new student housing and the residential redevelopment in the south/east of MLK in the Walker Park neighborhood.  If Sarah Marsh and her ilk succeed to in their plans to kill development near Dickson St, we'll likely see accelerated development on School/MLK as there are fewer NIMBY homeowners with poltiical connections to peave off near there.

Skiles Architect has a lot of projects in the works in the area; they have a very interesting new house going up on Archibald Yell and a few houses near 7th St and Walker Park.

Has anyone seen the renderings for the new Arts & Design district the UofA is building on Government St?  The last I heard, Modus Studios got the contract for the redevelopment, but I have no idea of the timetable or details.  I expect that this project will greatly accelerate secondary development in the vicinity.  I noticed the former Brenda's Burger location has recently sold and 7 acres is for sale accross MLK from Hill Place/Kum & Go - MLK will likely be seeing a lot of new development soon.

Edited by JamesE

Is the Arsaga's in the Mill District a done deal?  Last I heard was that they were looking into it but hadn't committed.

The "for lease" sign is out front again: hopefully if not Arsaga's, it will be an Onyx Coffee lab or similar.  After seeing what Arsaga's did with the train depot location, I really hope they commit to it, but they haven't done so yet.  It's a fantastic location, with a big lot that could be turned into outdoor seating, all right accross the road via the new tunnel from most of the new student housing; it would be a perfect location for a student crowd heading to/from campus or Dickson St.  Someone will develop it; hopefully it will be someone who will put in a quality local business.

Edited by JamesE

I noticed the former Brenda's Burger location has recently sold and 7 acres is for sale accross MLK from Hill Place/Kum & Go - MLK will likely be seeing a lot of new development soon.

I think Brenda's Burgers backs right up to the proposed U of A design district.  The RFQ for the design district went out a while back, and yes, it was awarded to Modus.  

7 acres across from Hill Place?  Wow.  The intersection of School/MLK is definitely the new hotspot in town.  I just hope we continue to get quality developments and higher density.  That area could really become something special. The demographic counts in that neighborhood are already vastly different than they were just three years ago.  

I think Brenda's Burgers backs right up to the proposed U of A design district.  The RFQ for the design district went out a while back, and yes, it was awarded to Modus.  

7 acres across from Hill Place?  Wow.  The intersection of School/MLK is definitely the new hotspot in town.  I just hope we continue to get quality developments and higher density.  That area could really become something special. The demographic counts in that neighborhood are already vastly different than they were just three years ago.  

The available large lot is the current warehouse, junkyard, and uhaul place on the north side of MLK in between S Hill & S Government, basically right accross from where the Art & Design district will be, Hill Place being adjacent to the A&D district on the south side of MLK.  It could be a prime spot for Specialized, Peak Campus, et al.  You're correct about Brenda's Burgers being right up to the U of A design district; there was a large for sale sign in front of it most of this spring/summer.  I noticed the sign is now gone, so I'm assuming some enterprising developer or another bought it. It will be interesting to see what goes up there.

I've been checking the Modus Studio site frequently looking for updates, but it's still too early yet I suppose.  The A&D district could do for the east side of MLK much of what the WAC did for Dickson, acting as an anchor for secondary private development.  With this as the bookend of the planned improvements on School Ave, the expanded library, etc, the whole area will likely be much changed soon.

Edited by JamesE

The available large lot is the current warehouse, junkyard, and uhaul place on the north side of MLK in between S Hill & S Government, basically right accross from where the Art & Design district will be, Hill Place being adjacent to the A&D district on the south side of MLK.  It could be a prime spot for Specialized, Peak Campus, et al.  You're correct about Brenda's Burgers being right up to the U of A design district; there was a large for sale sign in front of it most of this spring/summer.  I noticed the sign is now gone, so I'm assuming some enterprising developer or another bought it. It will be interesting to see what goes up there.

I've been checking the Modus Studio site frequently looking for updates, but it's still too early yet I suppose.  The A&D district could do for the east side of MLK much of what the WAC did for Dickson, acting as an anchor for secondary private development.  With this as the bookend of the planned improvements on School Ave, the expanded library, etc, the whole area will likely be much changed soon.

There was something on the news about Brenda's last night and I totally missed it.

Here it is off of the KFSM's webpage:

The building that used to house Brenda’s Bigger Burger has been sold, and the new owners says he may have similar plans for the nearly 50-year-old Fayetteville landmark.

Edward Hurley, owner of Huark Properties, LLC bought Brenda’s Bigger Burger for about $250,000, according to a warranty deed in property records. The famous burger joint had closed in November 2012 after the family chose to shut the business’ doors.

“Everybody from Fayetteville at some point has eaten here and loved it,” Hurley said.

The new owner said he’s trying to figure out what’s next for the property.

For 47 years, Brenda’s Bigger Burger was a city landmark. Today (Nov. 4) it stands vacant, but its new owner sees potential.

“MLK keeps getting business,” Hurley said. “I really believe in south Fayetteville and an opportunity to own this corner, I just couldn’t turn it down.”

If Hurley decides to open up another burger restaurant, he can’t use the same name in case the original owners want to re-open somewhere else.

“They don’t mind if I name it something else ‘Bigger Burger,’ I thought about that,” Hurley said. “One of my son’s name is Hootie and so ‘Hootie’s Bigger Burger’ I thought could be catchy.”

Wallace Downs, who lives in Fayetteville, said he hopes it opens but would like to see variety in the menu.

“It would be good to get some diversity in there, and it’s not great to have that same food over and over again,” Downs said.” Something new and fresh would improve that spot.”

Antonio Garcia said he’s eaten at Brenda’s Bigger Burger and would like see that spot start business once again. However, he said, it would be hard to compete with the past.

“I don’t think the recipe will be the same like when the original folks were there,” Garcia said. “But he can try, give it a shot and see what happens.”

Hurley said he understands it will be difficult to get the same taste.

“You can’t duplicate it. It was a lot of years of experience, and a lot of hard work of the family,” Hurley said. “I would probably do the best to match it.”

Hurley said he hopes to make a decision by early 2014.

Here it is off of the KFSM's webpage:

The building that used to house Brenda’s Bigger Burger has been sold, and the new owners says he may have similar plans for the nearly 50-year-old Fayetteville landmark.

Edward Hurley, owner of Huark Properties, LLC bought Brenda’s Bigger Burger for about $250,000, according to a warranty deed in property records. The famous burger joint had closed in November 2012 after the family chose to shut the business’ doors.

“Everybody from Fayetteville at some point has eaten here and loved it,” Hurley said.

The new owner said he’s trying to figure out what’s next for the property.

For 47 years, Brenda’s Bigger Burger was a city landmark. Today (Nov. 4) it stands vacant, but its new owner sees potential.

“MLK keeps getting business,” Hurley said. “I really believe in south Fayetteville and an opportunity to own this corner, I just couldn’t turn it down.”

If Hurley decides to open up another burger restaurant, he can’t use the same name in case the original owners want to re-open somewhere else.

“They don’t mind if I name it something else ‘Bigger Burger,’ I thought about that,” Hurley said. “One of my son’s name is Hootie and so ‘Hootie’s Bigger Burger’ I thought could be catchy.”

Wallace Downs, who lives in Fayetteville, said he hopes it opens but would like to see variety in the menu.

“It would be good to get some diversity in there, and it’s not great to have that same food over and over again,” Downs said.” Something new and fresh would improve that spot.”

Antonio Garcia said he’s eaten at Brenda’s Bigger Burger and would like see that spot start business once again. However, he said, it would be hard to compete with the past.

“I don’t think the recipe will be the same like when the original folks were there,” Garcia said. “But he can try, give it a shot and see what happens.”

Hurley said he understands it will be difficult to get the same taste.

“You can’t duplicate it. It was a lot of years of experience, and a lot of hard work of the family,” Hurley said. “I would probably do the best to match it.”

Hurley said he hopes to make a decision by early 2014.

Thanks for the news!  Brenda's was a unique institution - it was so good and so well-established, that it didn't matter that they had no in-door seating or drive through, which would kill a normal burger business.  The new owner hopefully will consider making some upgrades.

Never understood the appeal of that place...not only no indoor seating and no drive thru, but you had to pay with cash and there was always a long wait for your food.  Burgers were good but not exceptional or anything.

Faster service and being able to use debit cards would be enough for me to start going there.

Edited by aerotive

Never understood the appeal of that place...not only no indoor seating and no drive thru, but you had to pay with cash and there was always a long wait for your food.  Burgers were good but not exceptional or anything.

Faster service and being able to use debit cards would be enough for me to start going there.

I think it was the nostalgia factor. It wasn't your typical fast food place which is why it probably won't do good if they make a lot of improvements to compete with the chains.

Five Guys usually goes into more regional shopping areas with many big box stores.  Why the Uptown area has not gotten one yet is beyond me.  Also the Burger Shack is 1/4 mile down the road and it's the same concept.

Although a Newks would be nice to have in Fayetteville.

Five Guys usually goes into more regional shopping areas with many big box stores.  Why the Uptown area has not gotten one yet is beyond me.  Also the Burger Shack is 1/4 mile down the road and it's the same concept.

Although a Newks would be nice to have in Fayetteville.

Five Guys hasn't found right spot. Heard Newk's is looking in Fville and Bville.

I think it was the nostalgia factor. I wasn't your typical fast food place which is why it probably won't do good if they make a lot of improvements to compete with the chains.

True except a new owner isn't going to have the same nostalgia going for him/her and there's a lot more competition in the area now with more on the way.  Given all the new high-end houses, the nearby student housing, the trail extension, etc, it's not going to be afforded the same treatment as Brendas, in my opinion at least.

Edited by JamesE

There's lots of discussion on the Flyer about form-based codes.  I have to agree with some of the sentiments expressed.  Our planners are far too quick to dismiss any attempts at form-based zoning for commercial projects.  The best-looking commercial projects in the city have been form-based.  The Dollar General on South School and the ALDI on MLK  are good examples.  I wish they'd make these out of town companies follow suit.  

I visit Boulder about once per year.  Their form-based zoning has transformed some areas that are similar to College Avenue into pedestrian-friendly, good looking areas.  Those areas are very comparable to Fayetteville's commercial areas.  

Its a similar-sized city, too.

Edited by wmr