Division / Wealthy and ICCF

MiGuyz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Attended a small discussion today, and this project was brought up. The word "soon" appeared in the same paragraphs.

I heard a similar statement during my DDA Framing the Future session. I wonder if it was from the same person.

I hope that "soon" really means soon.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New article by Chris Knape about the first phase of this moving forward using some of Obama's Stimulus dollars. Not sure how much of a threat to delay this the removal of the Brownfield Tax Credits would have. Perhaps they will get this deal done before they are discontinued, IF that discontinuation survives the legislature.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/03/housing_retail_plan_on_south_e.html

New article by Chris Knape about the first phase of this moving forward using some of Obama's Stimulus dollars. Not sure how much of a threat to delay this the removal of the Brownfield Tax Credits would have. Perhaps they will get this deal done before they are discontinued, IF that discontinuation survives the legislature.

As I understand the Brownfield credits, they would be phased out.

Work would need to get under way by June to qualify for federal loans the city earmarked for the long-awaited project. Eventually, 63 to 73 housing units are expected to occupy the block, with $15 million to $17 million being invested.

Jonathan Bradford, chief executive officer of the ICCF, said the combination of the grant deadlines and planned elimination of Brownfield tax credits changes means there’s a need to move quickly.

“It is a little dicey right now, with the governor’s Brownfield elimination plan, but we are very optimistic that the pieces are now coming together for a June 1 or earlier start,” Bradford said.

Edited by Veloise

What else is going in here other than a bunch of housing units? This math doesn't make sense: $15 million for 63 units? That''s more than $230k per unit for presumably "low income" housing! Is there some commercial going in on the ground floor in addition to the housing? If not, this is pretty good evidence that the sooner these credits are dead and gone, the better.

As I understand the Brownfield credits, they would be phased out.

Work would need to get under way by June to qualify for federal loans the city earmarked for the long-awaited project. Eventually, 63 to 73 housing units are expected to occupy the block, with $15 million to $17 million being invested.

Jonathan Bradford, chief executive officer of the ICCF, said the combination of the grant deadlines and planned elimination of Brownfield tax credits changes means there’s a need to move quickly.

“It is a little dicey right now, with the governor’s Brownfield elimination plan, but we are very optimistic that the pieces are now coming together for a June 1 or earlier start,” Bradford said.

What else is going in here other than a bunch of housing units? This math doesn't make sense: $15 million for 63 units? That''s more than $230k per unit for presumably "low income" housing! Is there some commercial going in on the ground floor in addition to the housing? If not, this is pretty good evidence that the sooner these credits are dead and gone, the better.

We need a site plan to tell exactly what they are planning, but the renderings from Veloise definitely show commercial on the first floor of two of those buildings (probably along Division). In fact the third building down looks more like an office building on the second and third floors than residential.

Slow down there x99. Not sure what the price has to do with the value of the credits.

Yes, it includes mixed use residential and retail. And they're not necessarily all "low income." Did you read the article? Some will be low income, some will be market rate townhomes.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/03/housing_retail_plan_on_south_e.html

From the article linked:

Is this map correct? Is this going to be two city blocks, with Sheldon Ave bisecting the middle?

If so, do they really need that much surface parking?

Here are the site plans, from the city's Brownfield agenda. I think they're trying to land a major anchor (retail perhaps) for the Division/Wealthy corner, so they may need all that parking. First phase though is the Eastern half of the project, and the first two buildings sound like they will be the ones along Wealthy across the street from the Dioceses's parking ramp.

edit: sorry, this first site plan shows Phase 1:

5506322308_f62b79f9fa_b.jpg

5506271016_2bb08f686d_b.jpg

5506271210_0a7cb6c51e_b.jpg

And some cleaner versions of the elevations. The first two mixed-use buildings would apparently be the first two built.

5506297426_9bd12a0c80_b.jpg

5506297488_18c1d82f9e_b.jpg

5505699575_122e6f49cb_b.jpg

5505699677_d4aee3feeb_b.jpg

5506297694_9c6d315046_b.jpg

The style of the first mixed use building reminded me of something I had seen in Chicago once, and indeed I found it:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=west+chicago+avenue,+chicago,+il&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.527387,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=W+Chicago+Ave,+Chicago,+Illinois&ll=41.895537,-87.639935&spn=0.007459,0.01929&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.895524,-87.640034&panoid=nqyOqUL7ottOJfTisp9hsg&cbp=12,309.36,,0,-5.49

edit: I should add that it's mainly the box style bay windows. The Wealthy Jefferson version will have ground floor retail, and appears to be built out to the street (not fronted by little fenced in gardens).

Thanks for posting the site plan, the parking situation certainly looks more reasonable than the crude Press diagram. Those blocks take up less space than I envisioned.

Just gotta point out though, a lot of urban grocery stores build rooftop parking these days...

Then that could actually be quite nice if they're going to do a mixed use. The announcement didn't say anything about it, and some of the renderings did not look like they included commercial use, which is why I questioned it. All of the renderings look quite nice except for that one with the goofy front porches. The design with the gambrel roof is interesting, too, albeit somewhat unconventional.

We need a site plan to tell exactly what they are planning, but the renderings from Veloise definitely show commercial on the first floor of two of those buildings (probably along Division). In fact the third building down looks more like an office building on the second and third floors than residential.

Then that could actually be quite nice if they're going to do a mixed use. The announcement didn't say anything about it, and some of the renderings did not look like they included commercial use, which is why I questioned it. All of the renderings look quite nice except for that one with the goofy front porches. The design with the gambrel roof is interesting, too, albeit somewhat unconventional.

I think they're trying to match the style of the houses in that area (South of there, since there aren't any houses left in the development zone) which all have porches like that.

Here's a duplex just South of there that I actually think ICCF built:

315081468_dc9855919e_z.jpg