Division / Wealthy and ICCF

MiGuyz

Yeah, I think the hopes for a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods are a pipedream. The only thing I could possibly see (total speculation) besides a Save-A-Lot type grocer would be if Meijer did something, used it as a prototype for smaller urban stores and as a "community service". They use the Meijer in Cascase as a prototype, why not Wealthy and Division for the smaller format urban stores that they are starting to build. As with all of my posts tonight, pure speculation and probably not going to happen. :)

Joe

Yesterday as I was driving north on Division, I noticed them clearing out another block.

It is the block just south of the Wealthy corner...bounded by Buckley, Division, Logan and Sheldon.

I looked on the ICCF site but coould not find out what is going there.

Anyone know? Phase 2?

The problem with any type of traditional grocer, even in a smaller format, might be parking. I know we don't like to hear the evil "p" word, but this particular area really is not all that walkable in its present condition. Now, as long as we're talking pipedreams, Meijer could do a real community service and buy up everything on Division they can get their hands on and re-do the whole mess, including relocation of the shelters elsewhere. This used to be a hoppin' corridor, and probably could be again. With a massive plan like that, I stand convinced there could be a huge profit potential, but the logistics of it are mindboggling (barring a Kelo v City of New London eminent domain land-grab). ICCF is a start, but long term, you're just not going to rebuild much with subsidized housing.

Yeah, I think the hopes for a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods are a pipedream. The only thing I could possibly see (total speculation) besides a Save-A-Lot type grocer would be if Meijer did something, used it as a prototype for smaller urban stores and as a "community service".

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting they are clearing parcel C. Are they waiting on A because the whole idea of a grocery store is not final?

Anyone remember what is in parcel C...retail?

I hear that this is going to be a school.

Edited by uncus

Oooooooooooo....ouch.

That is not what I was hoping for. In fact it looks straight out of the 70s. Huge blank walls all over the place! It looks like they used the same intern that designed the Archdiocese up the street.

This was honestly the best they could do with 9.2 million? There is no building materials in existence that can make this thing look good.

I agree with Jeff and Joe. It does look like a school, and I think it could turn out either great or terrible -- probably not at all in between. I'll reserve judgement until I see materials and execution. (If brick is used in any part, those brick panels that have become popular will absolutely kill it. I hate seeing visible separations between whole areas of brick.)

I agree with Jeff and Joe. It does look like a school, and I think it could turn out either great or terrible -- probably not at all in between. I'll reserve judgement until I see materials and execution. (If brick is used in any part, those brick panels that have become popular will absolutely kill it. I hate seeing visible separations between whole areas of brick.)

I guess I don't really see how it could turn out great- while cool looking, it appears extremely suburban to me.

Hmm. I don't see that at all. Modern doesn't equal suburban. Unfortunately, renderings usually look stiff, stark and show no sense of place. I absolutely hated the Art Museum as it went up- now I love it. I can't wait to see how this takes shape (I'm optimistic that it'll be a winner).

Joe

I guess I don't really see how it could turn out great- while cool looking, it appears extremely suburban to me.

Well, there is one thing I don't like. The massing is mostly on the side-street perpendicular to Division, whereas the Division-facing side is rather low. Each time I look at the rendering, I visualise Division having the side with the trees -- it feels natural that way -- but I have to remind myself otherwise.

Well, there is one thing I don't like. The massing is mostly on the side-street perpendicular to Division, whereas the Division-facing side is rather low. Each time I look at the rendering, I visualise Division having the side with the trees -- it feels natural that way -- but I have to remind myself otherwise.

There's a vacant lot fronting Division. The almost-completed section is a block away.