Division / Wealthy and ICCF

MiGuyz

Pointless bit of trivia: That's actually sort of a misnomer. Only the lot still has anything to do with Louis Campau. The original house was razed to make way for the current structure which was built by George Gay of Berkey and Gay. The gambrel roof is typical of shingle-style construction or the later Depression-era Dutch Colonials. I'm not sure how you'd class this, and I'm not really sure how I feel about that design being used on a more modern "commercially" building. It just seems to lose something when the roof isn't all cedar shingles. I do like, though, that they appear to be utilizing traditional architecture in a fairly diverse mix over the whole project. If ICCF indeed built that duplex as new construciton, I've got to give them some serious credit for getting the design elements pretty close to right. Very nice.

the third from the bottom looks remarkably like this carriage house from the louis campau house

My link

Today from Rapid Growth Media. Joanthan Bradford CEO - ICCF: "Negotiations with an unnamed local grocer are underway, says Bradford, adding that he's "confident that it will go through."

Spartan, Meijer, Duther? Who do you think it is?

Since it's only about 28,000 square feet, I'd be really, really surprised if it were Meijer. D&W perhaps? (I don't know).

I have a feeling it's probably Duthler. I really don't see Meijer moving into that space, and Spartan's Michigan Ave. D&W fiasco has me doubting they'll pull through on this, too.

For other local grocers, there's also Big Top Market (oh my), and Horrock's. My hope would be for a D&W or a Horrock's, but I'm betting on Duthler.

I never understood why D&W would go in at michigan and fuller since there is a family fare at fulton and fuller. I don't know how big that store is but it seems pretty small. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a family fare since the area doesn't seem to fit with a D&W. I don't think that it is upscale enough.

I'm skeptical of Spartan going there - for obvious reasons already mentioned - but I think another small Family Fare is possible. Horrocks would be awesome! I never would have thought they were in an "expansion" mood, but I love that store and they would make downtown really, really cool. Especially if they find a way to squeeze a greenhouse in there (perhaps on the roof?). Oh, and the lion statues. Gotta have the lion statues.

But for now, I'm assuming the worst, and expecting an Aldi or Family Dollar to wind up settling in there somehow.sick.png

I'm skeptical of Spartan going there - for obvious reasons already mentioned - but I think another small Family Fare is possible. Horrocks would be awesome! I never would have thought they were in an "expansion" mood, but I love that store and they would make downtown really, really cool. Especially if they find a way to squeeze a greenhouse in there (perhaps on the roof?). Oh, and the lion statues. Gotta have the lion statues.

But for now, I'm assuming the worst, and expecting an Aldi or Family Dollar to wind up settling in there somehow.sick.png

*Groan* if that happens.

They are fine for what they are, but we seriously need a full, mainstream grocery in this part of town. Not some place with dodgy brands and weird/annoying quarks like having to buy your bags or having to pay to use a cart.

although if they fashioned an Aldi like the one in Europe, where they actually make them presentable, it may be passable.

• 1 month later...

Heritage Hill Foods- rolls off the tongue like a sweet lullaby. Could perhaps go on the Michigan Street lot that Spartan Stores abandoned. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm lying awake at night dreaming of GR's potential.

That Michigan Street lot is becoming a new Walgreens. I believe there was a recent post that a construction fence had gone up in the last week. Also, it's quite a ways from Heritage Hill, which ends at Union.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...