Division / Wealthy and ICCF

MiGuyz

• 1 month later...

Not sure which thread this was discussed in (looked around but couldn't find it). I Live near the building on Division that was recently being discussed as a possible site for the Post office, and as of last week the "for sale" sign is now gone. They are also doing a lot of sidewalk repairs which if I remember correctly are things that have to be done when a property is sold...? Anyone have any inside info..? Man I really am hoping this Post office thing was on the money.

• 3 months later...

This isnt part of the ICCF project, but just down the street, SW of Pleasant and Division, there looks to be a demolition of two buildings taking place today. I'm not sure what businesses were there (the Google streetview showed an A to Z Radiator Shop as one of them), but they are definitely on their way out.

Not sure what is supposed to go there. Hoping it isnt a trashy cheap structure.

• 1 month later...

629, 635 and 645 S. Division were purchased in the last few years by corporations that share the same address as Van Eerden Foodservice Company.

I'd keep an eye on the west side of the 400 block.  Change is in the air.

Edited by MiGuyz

It sure would be nice to have an urban Meijer on the corner of Division and Wealthy.
Be much better than a Walfart like this:
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/20990/downtown-georgia-avenue-walmarts-open-for-business/

There is an initiative going on with the Meijer Facebook postings by "Others" for them to have an urban Meijer store to serve downtown at that location.
https://www.facebook.com/meijer

Anyone know whats going on along Division, just south of Division and Wealthy. They are tearing down a bunch of buildings like crazy on the West side

It's part of the State's anti-blight initiative that went through a year or so ago. Nothing concrete planned for that spot, according to sources.

• 1 month later...

Looks like another one bites the dust on the western side of Division, just south of the Shell station. It was no beauty of a building that's for sure. There was a building next to it that was demolished several years ago, so now that short stretch is cleared from the Shell station to McConnell. Hopefully it gets something built on it soon, and doesn't just become an impromptu parking lot.

• 11 months later...

They are getting ready to build several market rate town homes.

Anyone know if this is the still the most up-to-date siteplan? I found some MSHDA work online back in 2013 on townhouses at 435 Lagrave for Tapestry Square. One says 15 units the other says 22. This doc says 15. This one says 19. :)

DVtapestrysquare2.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

This one kind of flew under the radar.

"104-unit senior living development eyed for Tapestry Square"

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/02/104-unit_senior_living_project.html

GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The Inner City Christian Federation (ICCF) is hoping to add a 104-unit senior living project to its Tapestry Square development south of downtown.

Sixty percent of the 5-story building would be set aside for affordable apartments while 40 percent would be set aside for market rate apartments, according to ICCF Vice President Ryan Schmidt, who presented the plans to the Downtown Development Authority on Wednesday, Feb. 14.

The project will include 94 one-bedroom apartments and 10 two-bedroom apartments, said Schmidt. The ground floor would be set aside for a restaurant and other retail uses.

Also they are still looking for a grocery to fill the site:

Initial plans for the site called for placing a downtown grocery store on the corner of Division Avenue and Wealthy Street as part the ICCF's Tapestry Square development, which has built apartments, condominiums and single-family homes in a three-block area of the neighborhood.

"The grocery store concept is not dead. But we're also open to other opportunities on that block," said ICCF Executive Director Ryan VerWys. The new senior living apartments would bolster the case for building a grocery store on the site, he said.

I just hope they remember they are building this in a very urban corridor and don't set it back behind a bunch of parking lots and landscaping.