Projects to watch for when/as the economy recovers

sammyjoey

What major projects do you think we'll see in the next couple years after the economy has recovered?

Wachovia condo tower

300 S Tryon

210 Trade

towers on the Levine properties

final tower on the TWELVE site

the rumored Ghazi project on the other side of 277

I'm assuming ONE Charlotte and Trump are out for good

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have this thread wrong or perhaps am replying too broadly, as it is things to "watch out for" which I assume implies likelihood of happening versus my hope list of projects and developments to happen in the next 5-10 years, but nonetheless...

Business:

Morgan Stanley Retail Banking Headquarters

Electrolux Headquarters

ENN Group U.S. Headquarters

BOA Headquarters remain

ALLY Bank Headquarters

US Bank Investment Banking Headquarters

Screen Gems Studios Expansion

At least 1 new independent film studio organically grown in CLT

The big Surprise: A fashion industry takes root here

Schools:

Rhode Island School of Design or FIT branch

UNC Charlotte Uptown Campus

Wake Forest MBA Expansion

TOP NOTCH Medical School

Johnson & Wales Business School

Second Law school

Expanded Regional Reputation of Johnson C Smith

Sports:

Uptown Knights Stadium

MLS team and stadium

UNC Charlotte Football which builds a stadium that highlights CHARLOTTE

Culture:

Black Box Dance Theater

1-2 new off Broadway theaters

1-2 Niche art museums

Planetarium (preferably atop of the Belk parking garage attached to Discovery place)

Installation of multiple grand Statues and public artworks

Renovation of Carolina Theater

Expansion of Arts scenes in NODA and Southend

Recreation:

Romare Bearden Park

New Central Large Urban Park

Aquarium and/or Zoo

Transportation:

Light Rail Extension to 485 North

Street Car

Light Rail/BRT down Independence

Light Rail to Airport

Commuter rail to Davidson

Commuter Rail to Gaston

Commuter rail to Rock Hill

Commuter Rail to Concord and Kannapolis

Completion of 485

Transformation of Independence into a Grand Boulevard

Transformation of Wilkinson into a Grand Boulevard

Gateway Station

Events:

2012 DNC Convention

2022 World Cup

Becoming a De rigueur stop for top concert tours

Building:

Three major skyscrapers including a 70-80 story

Development of major multiple block stroll-retail district in Uptown

Development of Second Ward Brooklyn Housing; multiple blocks of mid rise brownstone type

Additional Terminal at airport with full service light rail connection to city.

Observation Tower

Strong Urban Core

Walking and mass transit friendly city

Cultural must-visit city in Southeast

Energy Hub city

Strong diversified economy (finance, energy, arts, small businesses, healthcare)

Gay Friendly (discrimination protection, domestic partnerships, civil unions and large pride)

^Those are great long term goals, but I know we're not even going to see half of them come about within the next few years, if by that we mean in the neighborhood of 5-10 years.

In terms of actual projects, I'm most hoping to see 300 S. Tryon eventually built. And hopefully we'll see something come to the surface lot between the Gantt Center and St. Peter's. It's a pipe dream, but I'd love to see this project be resurrected.

I may have this thread wrong or perhaps am replying too broadly, as it is things to "watch out for" which I assume implies likelihood of happening versus my hope list of projects and developments to happen in the next 5-10 years, but nonetheless...

Business:

Morgan Stanley Retail Banking Headquarters

Electrolux Headquarters

ENN Group U.S. Headquarters

BOA Headquarters remain

ALLY Bank Headquarters

US Bank Investment Banking Headquarters

Screen Gems Studios Expansion

At least 1 new independent film studio organically grown in CLT

Schools:

Rhode Island School of Design or FIT branch

UNC Charlotte Uptown Campus

Wake Forest MBA Expansion

TOP NOTCH Medical School

Johnson & Wales Business School

Second Law school

Expanded Regional Reputation of Johnson C Smith

Sports:

Uptown Knights Stadium

MLS team and stadium

UNC Charlotte Football which builds a stadium that highlights CHARLOTTE

Culture:

Black Box Dance Theater

1-2 new off Broadway theaters

1-2 Niche art museums

Planetarium (preferably atop of the Belk parking garage attached to Discovery place)

Installation of multiple grand Statues and public artworks

Renovation of Carolina Theater

Expansion of Arts scenes in NODA and Southend

Recreation:

Romare Bearden Park

New Central Large Urban Park

Aquarium and/or Zoo

Transportation:

Light Rail Extension to 485 North

Street Car

Light Rail/BRT down Independence

Light Rail to Airport

Commuter rail to Davidson

Commuter Rail to Gaston

Commuter rail to Rock Hill

Commuter Rail to Concord and Kannapolis

Completion of 485

Transformation of Independence into a Grand Boulevard

Transformation of Wilkinson into a Grand Boulevard

Gateway Station

Events:

2012 DNC Convention

2022 World Cup

Becoming a De rigueur stop for top concert tours

Building:

Three major skyscrapers including a 70-80 story

Development of major multiple block stroll-retail district in Uptown

Development of Second Ward Brooklyn Housing; multiple blocks of mid rise brownstone type

Additional Terminal at airport with full service light rail connection to city.

Observation Tower

Strong Urban Core

Walking and mass transit friendly city

Cultural must-visit city in Southeast

Energy Hub city

Strong diversified economy (finance, energy, arts, small businesses, healthcare)

Gay Friendly (discrimination protection, domestic partnerships, civil unions and large pride)

I like the way you think. That would be an awesome city to live in...

Business:

I actually was brainstorming about this several years ago, and trying to determine how to create a fashion incubator. I would love to get a warehouse in the NoDa area and convert a portion to group quarters housing/sweat shop and let aspiring designers go wild...live free/free materials and have weekend sample sales, with the house keeping a share of the profits and rights to the designs...retention in the co-op would be based on sales successes......I ran the numbers and it would take a decent grant/donations to make it work, and I got lazy at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

I would really love to see that 631 North Tryon street project come alive. It looks really neat. I never heard about it until now.

I forgot all about that project, it would really REALLY extend our skyline.

post-17104-12604778655564_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this, but didn't want to continue to go Off Topic in the SouthEnd forum. Charlotte_Native brought up the potential prospect of building "non-luxury condos" in uptown (similar to what's going on in SouthEnd) and another poster mentioned doing that in some of the vacant uptown lots near BofA stadium. Since we all pretty know that the uptown baseball stadium is dead in it's current form (a good thing in my opinion), what not develop around the Virginia Paper Company building? This building could easily be converted into a farmer's market or similar type of destination. The corresponding residential (and even retail) could be built around it, then you have the Roman Bearden Park right next door... It would be a great destination. Thoughts? I'm just kind of thinking out loud, but this would be a great way to develop this part of town. I'm sure there's land issues that I'm not aware of that would prevent this from working :unsure:

• 6 months later...

I wanted to resurrect this thread from the dead... I read some blog about another city (which shall remain nameless) and when they might see their next boom or really just another tower announcement. Now, we're over halfway through this year. Has anyone heard any rumblings on something that might get resurrected or possibly new projects? I remember several months ago someone was talking about 300 South Tryon possibly making some headway if it found a tenant. Thoughts? I needed something different to read other than about the Streetcar :)

It would be nice to read about some interest in the parcels freed up when I-277 was configured.

Yes, I've wondered about that as well. If memory serves me, wasn't selling those pieces of land part of the plan to pay for the Nascar HOF? If I'm not mistaken the properties are advertised as "for sale". Definitely a good chunk of land. I think it would be a good spot for some sort city landmark.

The Knights Uptown Stadium?

I haven't heard anything new other than our buddy Jerry Reese throwing a fit over the VA Paper Company building needing some repair.

I would keep an eye out for a twenty something story mixed use building on the light rail. Right over there near Pewter Rose.

What ever happened to the design center tower in Southend? Same as the Harris development or is it just on hold until the climate improves?

• 3 months later...

Massive entertainment park proposed for Philip Morris site in Carrabus County.

From today's Richmond Times Dispatch:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2010/nov/06/b-phil06-ar-634904/

Pardon the ignorance here, but would the stimulus money be a grant or would that be something that would have to be paid back. I like the idea of an attraction like this, but I'm not comfortable with the notion of the developers asking for taxpayer money to help build something that will be profitable for them. Yeah, it will create jobs (a few thousand jobs right off the bat I seriously doubt though), but a vast majority of those jobs will be service and other low wage jobs. Hardly the type of jobs that give people significant disposable income, but then a minimum wage job created is better than no job I suppose. And I just don't see this attracting the visitor numbers they are projecting. At least not for a very long time. So many people nowadays simply do not have the money to enjoy something like this and some that do are reluctant to shell the money out for it. To me it's just a public subsidized development for some people who want to fatten their wallet. Maybe I am looking at this wrong. If so someone please clarify.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to using stimulus money for appropriate things. An opera house, theater, museums, parks/public spaces, etc. Projects that add cultural significance to the area and also doesn't slip money directly into a private developers pocket. I am beginning to feel that the practice of requesting stimulus money for projects is getting a little out of hand. Some developers, I feel, are starting to figure out ways to take advantage of it.

Pardon the ignorance here, but would the stimulus money be a grant or would that be something that would have to be paid back. I like the idea of an attraction like this, but I'm not comfortable with the notion of the developers asking for taxpayer money to help build something that will be profitable for them. Yeah, it will create jobs (a few thousand jobs right off the bat I seriously doubt though), but a vast majority of those jobs will be service and other low wage jobs. Hardly the type of jobs that give people significant disposable income, but then a minimum wage job created is better than no job I suppose. And I just don't see this attracting the visitor numbers they are projecting. At least not for a very long time. So many people nowadays simply do not have the money to enjoy something like this and some that do are reluctant to shell the money out for it. To me it's just a public subsidized development for some people who want to fatten their wallet. Maybe I am looking at this wrong. If so someone please clarify.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to using stimulus money for appropriate things. An opera house, theater, museums, parks/public spaces, etc. Projects that add cultural significance to the area and also doesn't slip money directly into a private developers pocket. I am beginning to feel that the practice of requesting stimulus money for projects is getting a little out of hand. Some developers, I feel, are starting to figure out ways to take advantage of it.

The stimulus money that Stargate receives would be in the form of a loan which they would pay back to the federal government directly. The hope is that the site would be completely debt free in 5 years.

If the company is telling the truth, then they already have 70% of the Phillip Morris building spoken for through letters of intent. Elevation Entertainment and Lamon Records are only part of the equation. The other parts may include an auto parts manufacturer, electric car manufacturer (Maybe Li-Ion????), candy manufacturer, hotel, retirement center, chain restaraunts, and a water park. The job total is set to be anywhere from 2600-4000 new jobs over 5 years.

As for the amount of visitors, I don't think that 3 million would be too tough. Heritage USA could bring in 3 million a year.

http://www2.independenttribune.com/news/2010/nov/02/federal-stimulus-money-pursued-purchase-former-phi-ar-504111/ I think this article is a little longer than the one previously posted and has a little more info.

• 3 weeks later...

I debated where to put this thought/question. I understand that the 2020 plan discussed last week (still in draft form) talked about bringing an arts/design school to Uptown.

This made me think of the RISD initiative a year or two ago and wonder if that is something that might move forward again? I also wonder about SVA as they had opened a satellite campus for a few years in Savannah though closed after a legal battle with SCAD.

I think it would be really cool to build the school on the North Tryon Street area by McColl and the NC Dance Studios and near the UNC Charlotte uptown building. It would add a nice solid anchor to that part of the strip (This last part is just speculative dreaming).

Anyone heard anything about the Arts/Design school issue?

Archived