Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

Ouch... that hurts. I'm guessing they've lost too much business b/c of the economy and the Epicentre. That was a great place to watch ECU football games. Though, surprisingly even that died down over the last year. I've been there a couple times this year and it wasn't overly crazy, definitely not like it was pre-Epicentre.

having only been there late on weekends, i always lumped it slightly more in the club category, because that's what the scene was at those times. and by that standard, i liked it better than a lot of other places.

but yes, hopefully something similar but better will open there. that block could be a nightlife node eventually (Crave seems to be doing well), but in the meantime might need to work on attracting a lunch crowd. my personal wish: a mellow mushroom (we're getting one in myers park soon though). its a perfect location and space for one.

I don't think Pizza Uno deserves it's own thread, as Im not surprised that it closed. But, didn't see a better place to post this. Anyway, Pizza Uno on the College St side of Three Wachovia is closed. I saw them taking the signs down last Monday.

I hadn't eaten there in quite a while but heard complaints from bad service to bad food.

It's sad to see another Uptown loss and hope something else fills the space quickly.

Ouch, really? I love(d) their deep dish. Although, yeah, they had other issues.

I didn't see it mentioned on here, and didn't notice until last week, but Jolina (on the same block, on the Green) is also gone. I know some didn't like their food, but I thought it was fine. The people at Fuel said it has been about a month since they closed.

In opposite news, there's a new "Energy Cafe" at the square near Chik-Fil-A. I had a turkey wrap today, which which was pretty good. I just can't afford $7.50 for a sandwich. They have "healthy" wraps and soups and sandwiches and smoothies.

Oh, and last time I was at Tin Tin Box of Noodles a couple weeks ago, I noticed Qdoba is "coming soon" to a space that I think used to have Just Fresh in it. I *love* Qdoba food, far more than Salsarita's, as far as that style goes.

Edited by grodney

Details? Links?

inside info. no public announcement has been made yet but it is definite. it will be on the 1st floor of the apartment/condo project being built on Selwyn right now, and they're hoping to open in May. i have no idea how far along the actual construction is though. i mentioned this in the new restaurants thread, but we may get more than one location in the near future, and it just occurred to me that the Cans space would be perfect.

That's kind of funny in that these same people are soon coming on campus here. http://aux.uncc.edu/news/index.php/2009/11/25/kitchen-kred-culinary-competition-results/comments/#comments

Unos express is just frozen unos pizzas reheated right.

Anyway I hope something local and sustainable opens in Uno's location, I don't know though.

I hate to see a place close, but I can't say I will miss Uno or Jolina personally. I didn't really like either one, and would have never gone to either again unless a friend dragged me along (or I had a BOGO coupon, like the last time when I went to Uno...2 years ago). It does stink to see this area of uptown lose two pretty significantly-sized casual restaurants, though. Uptown needs more casual restaurants. I just hope that something else quickly fills these spots - something local, though...I don't want to see a chain in either spot.

Good riddance. The only two times I ate there were both terrible experiences. This provides a chance for a new establishment to go in that isn't relying on its name to lure one-time visitors from out of town, and not caring if they satisfy them for a return visit.

Anyone up for steak or sushi? Why not just go for a record?

This spot is really good, and I loved that it brought a lot of people in its heydey to Graham street, which otherwise would probably not draw that kind of crowd, but it held on for as long as it reasonably could. I hope something goes in that can attract people again, as Crave seems to be doing ok for now.

I would love to see the space split into two. With the top part being more of an really nice jazz/blues club and the lower level being a comedy club/cabaret. I think both of those type of nightlife options are needed in Uptown and I think they would fit better outside of Epicentre.

I suppose there's not enough room for the equipment for a brewpub? A local, or Natty Greene's, I'm not picky.

I think the Can's spot would be a great place for something like Natty Greene's. Weren't they interested in opening up a location here, but were looking for an "older" building?

Edited by nyxmike