Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/flamin-crawfish-coming-myers-park/#.U7VIq41dVXA

Nom Nom Burgers has closed, which sucks I really enjoyed that place (will have to stick with bang bang burgers now), and a Cajun place is taking over it's spot

That does suck, their food was really great. That location might always have a little difficulty. I do think we need another Cajun restaurant though so its not such bad news overall I guess. 

• 1 month later...

The Penguin has officially closed, according to Charlotte Restaurant Traffic. I'm sure nobody is surprised, but for what was THE busiest place in town when I moved here, its still shocking in a way. Does anybody have any particular wishes or theories for what may replace it? I suspect we may be losing another beloved old sign unless the neighborhood fights to keep it. 

The Penguin has officially closed, according to Charlotte Restaurant Traffic. I'm sure nobody is surprised, but for what was THE busiest place in town when I moved here, its still shocking in a way. Does anybody have any particular wishes or theories for what may replace it? I suspect we may be losing another beloved old sign unless the neighborhood fights to keep it. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2014/08/lights-out-doors-locked-at-the-penguin-drive-in.html

Here is an article on it. Maybe it has been past its prime since I lived here, but I've had it twice and was less than impressed both times, and the service was awful. I will not miss it.

Edited by Jayvee

A sad, sad day... I remember when I first moved here years ago, it was far and away the best burger in town. Well before the "burger restaurant" craze. And the fried pickles were great. Had cheap beer too. Unfortunately, the Penguin died a few years ago when they had their falling out. This is just the nail in the coffin. :(

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2014/08/lights-out-doors-locked-at-the-penguin-drive-in.html

Here is an article on it. Maybe it has been past its prime since I lived here, but I've had it twice and was less than impressed both times, and the service was awful. I will not miss it.

If that was after the ownership change (what, 3 years or so ago?) then that is no surprise. It's been a shadow of its former self ever since then but it used to be amazing. I definitely will miss it for what it used to be. 

The best thing the lady that runs The Penguin now could do would be to sell it off.

Let someone new come in with the message that the current owner is out and they're hear to return it to its status as a neighborhood destination, but different than it was before (since that role is pretty much filled by the Diamond).

It'll never be what it used to be, but I think the name can survive. Just not with the current owner.

• Like 2

I have a hard time believing that it was meant to be a temporary closing. Any business owner with common sense would have put a sign up stating they would open back up on a certain day. I think they were in fact closed but figured out a way to open it back up. I do like the term "penguin watch" though. 

• Like 1

lol, a well run restaurant doesn't shut down because someone has a death in the family.

Just admit it Lisa, you ran a landmark into the ground. You thought it was going to be an easy and a guaranteed path to riches built on the hard work of others before you and you failed. Miserably.

It takes a special kind of person to make a restaurant a huge success. It takes an even more 'special' person to run a hugely successful restaurant into the ground.

• Like 1

Continuing the Penguin saga, eviction is moving forward but Lisa Ballentine filed for chap. 11. She's such an idiot, just let it go, you failed

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/08/14/penguin-drive-in-eviction-moves-forward-burger.html

I reaaaallllyyyy want to see the filing documents, but I don't have a PACER account anymore. Can the business journal not post the documents?

• 1 month later...

Drove by Villa Francesca this weekend and saw it is now "Italian @ 7th".  Can't find any reference to the change, other than on the Villa Fran facebook page, where they say they are now Italian @ 7th, and link to a separate facebook page under that name.  Apparently changed in July?

Anybody know anything?  Same or different owners/managers/chef/recipes/menu?

Drove by Villa Francesca this weekend and saw it is now "Italian @ 7th".  Can't find any reference to the change, other than on the Villa Fran facebook page, where they say they are now Italian @ 7th, and link to a separate facebook page under that name.  Apparently changed in July?

Diofferent owners.  Husband and wife breaking up, wife took the business, a lot of dirt here!

Just talked to Francesca... same owners but with new partners and a new start.  Grand opening this Saturday!

I know the owner.

Like DMann said, it involves divorce and other personal / financial issues that I'm not going to discuss on here just because I wouldn't want someone doing the same about me.

I know one of the partners is one of the partners at 5Church and Nan & Byrons.

I used to eat there pretty regularly. I never go anymore. I liked that it was a pretty casual italian place whose entire focus wasn't on pizza with the other dishes being afterthoughts.

They raised their prices and you can no longer eat pizza there in the evenings (carryout only). They're in a pretty terrible location in Uptown in the middle of the Levine Desert, so I think they'll have a hard time justifying the new prices. I already thought they were a little pricey compared to Mama Ricotta's, but now their prices are completely out of line IMO. 

This is complete conjecture on my part, but I suspect the original owners will eventually be pushed out by the new partners.The new partners don't need them. They have other successful restaurants. They don't need to lean on the former owners for anything.

Edited by Niner National

• 2 weeks later...

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/4th-ward/#.VCQKThb2Sik

Meant to post this last week. But 4th ward bread co had a crazy fire on Friday and is currently shut down. This article says they were doing really well, but I heard they were struggling (perhaps thats why the fire happened friday night???? Insurance money????? Speculation?????) and either way it sucks, i loved this place.

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/4th-ward/#.VCQKThb2Sik

Meant to post this last week. But 4th ward bread co had a crazy fire on Friday and is currently shut down. This article says they were doing really well, but I heard they were struggling (perhaps thats why the fire happened friday night???? Insurance money????? Speculation?????) and either way it sucks, i loved this place.

That really sucks, that place is great. Completely anecdotal but I have never thought it looked struggling on weekends when I have been there. I've never had to hunt too hard for a seat but it was always mostly full.