Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

• 1 month later...

Salsarita's at Latta Arcade is permanently closed, according to a sign on their door.  This kind-of came out of nowhere for me.  I don't eat there, but I walk by it all the time and it always seems busy.  I'm fairly sure it was open yesterday?

Edited by grodney

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, grodney said:

First Salsarita's now Showmars?  The one across from 300 South Tryon (next to Jimmy John's and KO Sushi) is closing today.  The world of all the old Duke workers has officially been rocked.

Showmars has been trying to scale back as they have like 450,639 locations uptown. But let me dig and see what might be up the sleeve here

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Crown said:

I'm honestly not too upset about this. All that ever seemed to come there were Guns 'N Roses cover bands, Dave Matthews Cover Bands, '80s cover bands, Journey tribute bands, or washed up '80s glam-rock act like Cinderella or Jackyl. I know what you're thinking...."but where will they host midget wrestling tournaments now?"

Amos' went down the hill a long time ago IMHO. Good venue space, don't get me wrong, but their booking team sucks. I haven't been in probably 8 or 9 years because there is simply no band that I want to see that has played there. I work just down the street and what used to be around-the-block lines for shows years ago have turned into 12 people lined up at the door prior to a show.

The building isn't anything to gawk at with its EIFS facade, either. No loss as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Talk about out of the blue, I can't believe they would just shudder a profitable restaurant. That seems crazy! Now where will I get my popcorn apps? :(

http://www.charlottefive.com/nan-byrons-quietly-closed-last-week-heres/

That is INSANE. That place was always busy. I know they want to focus on 5 church but why let this place just go away? Sell it off. Weird. It was a good space 

49 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Talk about out of the blue, I can't believe they would just shudder a profitable restaurant. That seems crazy! Now where will I get my popcorn apps? :(

http://www.charlottefive.com/nan-byrons-quietly-closed-last-week-heres/

Jeez, that place seemed like one of those Yogi Berra-esque places where "that place is so busy nobody goes there anymore" establishments. Crazy.

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

That is INSANE. That place was always busy. I know they want to focus on 5 church but why let this place just go away? Sell it off. Weird. It was a good space 

Umm...they did sell it off.

The restaurant, run by the same group that operates 5Church in uptown, opened on South Boulevard nearly three years ago. It was sold to another restaurant group, according to 5Church co-owner Alejandro Torio, and it seems likely that it will become a new restaurant concept.

24 minutes ago, grodney said:

I think a raw bar or something like that would go nicely there.

Raw bar with $1 PBR's would kill in that spot, South End needs that little bit of grit :).  We should have our Agenda contact get a top 5 list of what could go in that space and suggest this.  

In all seriousness I loved Nan & Byron's at first and went often but it seemed as it took off the menu got progressively more expensive for what it was.  Can't argue with the fact it was still slammed but going from like $13 for an entree on the initial menu to the last time I went the same thing was raised to $18 just rubbed me the wrong way.  Again, don't blame them for making money but the initial concept was to be the comfort food neighborhood place you could just stop in and then it transformed to a 5Church-lite.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Raw bar with $1 PBR's would kill in that spot, South End needs that little bit of grit :).  We should have our Agenda contact get a top 5 list of what could go in that space and suggest this.  

In all seriousness I loved Nan & Byron's at first and went often but it seemed as it took off the menu got progressively more expensive for what it was.  Can't argue with the fact it was still slammed but going from like $13 for an entree on the initial menu to the last time I went the same thing was raised to $18 just rubbed me the wrong way.  Again, don't blame them for making money but the initial concept was to be the comfort food neighborhood place you could just stop in and then it transformed to a 5Church-lite.

I think @grodney was referencing the previous (crappy) tenant of that location :)

vinnie-s-sardine.jpg

Wife and I went to Nan and Byron for a birthday dinner not too long after they opened. Seated in the side room. Water and menus came and then...nothing. Not a nod or look from staff. After 15 minutes we left. Hostess asked about our problem and I made brief description. "Oh, waiter thought you were awaiting another younger couple to join you." I am old. I am familiar with age discrimination. I have never been such an invisible man. I am glad they are gone.

• Like 2