Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

On 1/11/2018 at 9:09 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Bummer, but I'm glad they are just moving! And a Fud Truck is a great idea.

Tbh, I was real bitter when Salud took away Fud's downstairs dining room. The new upstairs Cerveceria is nice and all, but it's too polished, and it's dark, like a cave. Hard to get comfortable. I miss the downstairs dive.

I actually love the design upstairs but agree that losing the old Fud dining room has really been bad.  The beer they make hasn't been very good, IMO, so filling up that space with their equipment is a loss.  The coffee is fantastic though.

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
Wu's Cajun Seafood has closed...from the announcement it sounds like Bottle Cap Group will open something else in this spot.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFive/status/979777252106948609

The only thing good about that restaurant was that it’s claimed cooking style kinda sorta could rhyme if you said it right. The exterior was so flashy, detestable, tacky and Freemont St Vegasy that I never found the urge to go inside. Plus as an avid home cook, Asian... Cajun...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The only thing good about that restaurant was that it’s claimed cooking style kinda sorta could rhyme if you said it right. The exterior was so flashy, detestable, tacky and Freemont St Vegasy that I never found the urge to go inside. Plus as an avid home cook, Asian... Cajun...?

Everything about this concept, much like everything Bottle Cap Group touches, was completely moronic and heavy-handed. Not expecting Bottle Cap Group to do better much next time around, though maybe they won't spend so much on a gaudy renovation. 

2 hours ago, lit said:

Helles & Dunkel changes their name to THE UNION yesterday. New ownership (Tilt / 204North) is changing the theme inside too so it should be a fun place to hang out.

Hmm, interesting. Saw them renovating this recently and wondered what was going on; that area seems like a bit of a dead zone overall. 

Edited by wilmore

10 hours ago, wilmore said:

Everything about this concept, much like everything Bottle Cap Group touches, was completely moronic and heavy-handed. Not expecting Bottle Cap Group to do better much next time around, though maybe they won't spend so much on a gaudy renovation. 

Hmm, interesting. Saw them renovating this recently and wondered what was going on; that area seems like a bit of a dead zone overall. 

It's a shame for the city of Charlotte that they exist. Headcount:

South End Station = incredible location but they totally waste it on lame concepts and brotastic garbage. 

Ink N Ivy = incredible location but they totally waste it on lame concepts and brotastic garbage. 

Wu's =  incredible location but they totally waste it on lame concepts and brotastic garbage. 

So on and so forth. It sucks they still control the Wu's space, I am sure the next space will be equally uninspired with god awful decor. 

Also, I know the new folks at the Union well, I will get the deets. I think that space is pretty prime, just nothing interesting has ever been in it. If Futo Buta (a unique, cool, well executed concept) can thrive on the rail side, something great can thrive on this side. Not to mention Lincoln is doing well just down the road with essentially the same location. Hopefully this new thing will be great. Honestly South End needs a proper irish pub (dont @ me that tyber creek is one, its close but eh not a bad place but nowhere near the likes of Workmans or Murphys elsewhere). The most proper irish pub part about that place is its a yit hole inside lol). 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dean and Deluca defaulted on their lease payments at Phillips Place and has closed. The brand seems to be struggling since they got acquired by Pace as they closed locations in cities like Dallas and New York and eliminated planned expansion in cities like Malibu and Plano. Dean and Deluca's US operations are owned by Pace Development Corp of Thailand and has reported operating losses for five consecutive quarters, which reached 1.7 billion baht ($50.90 million) in Q3 2017. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article207698589.html

Edited by CLT2014

On 3/30/2018 at 7:05 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Asian Cajun is actually a well-established "fusion." Many Vietnamese fishermen moved to the "Gulf Crescent" area (from New Orleans to Houston) after 1975, and have adapted several Gulf seafood staples to their tastes (crawfish being the most obvious).

• Like 1

Not really a restaurant but I have eaten in there before the Phillips Place location of Dean and Deluca is now closed in a lease dispute.   (sounds like they were not paying)  All of Phillips Place is going to be redone in a rezoning approved a year or so ago by Lincoln Harris.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asthasr said:

Asian Cajun is actually a well-established "fusion." Many Vietnamese fishermen moved to the "Gulf Crescent" area (from New Orleans to Houston) after 1975, and have adapted several Gulf seafood staples to their tastes (crawfish being the most obvious).

Yaki Asia Fresh, on Sardis N.  serves this type of cuisine and it appears to be doing alright for the tiny place that it is.

55 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not really a restaurant but I have eaten in there before the Phillips Place location of Dean and Deluca is now closed in a lease dispute.   (sounds like they were not paying)  All of Phillips Place is going to be redone in a rezoning approved a year or so ago by Lincoln Harris.

Redone how?