Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

39 minutes ago, JBS said:

The best Mexican food I eat comes out of my kitchen or off my grill.  Carne asada, fish tacos, rolled tacos (SD style), tamales, etc.  

so... when we invited over? Next meetup at JBS's house for Tacos? 

6 hours ago, JBS said:

BTW, saying people in South Charlotte don't recognize authentic Mexican is pretty silly...where's the line of demarcation exactly?  People in SoCal say people in the South can't recognize authentic Mexican.  That's a more accurate (but still ignorant) statement.

Disclaimer: this post is in no way a diatribe against JBS; just riffing on his observation.

Ah the ultimate in food virtue signaling.  "This isn't real Mexican," says your hipster from NoDa who's never been to Mexico and doesn't realize s/he doesn't actually want tripe and lengua tacos with a side of cow udder (yes on one and two, pass on the third).

Living in Chicago most of my adult life and spending an inordinate amount of time between Cermak and Midway, I'm not really sure what "authentic" Mexican is supposed to be anyway; my Mexican-American friends living in Little Village/Lawndale/Back of the Yards/Pilsen are/were perfectly fine going to the local Mexican restaurant that's virtually indistinguishable from the Gastonia Dos Amigos or El Tapatio or whatever the hell it's called.  Traigame la salsa habanero y dame las tortillas de maiz are really the only two adjustments I ever make whether it's in a Mexican-American community or at my proximate Casa Bonita.

Is the salsa good?  Are the tortillas good?  If so, we're straight. Oh, and if you give me chicken soup as a freebie I KNOW I'm in the right spot.

All that said, there are two places if you're ever in Chicago you need to go: El Milagro (especially if you're hungover; the menudo there cures cancer) and Cinco Rabanitos .  Avoid the Bayless restaurants: they're overpriced tourist traps that taste half as good for ten times  the price of what you'll find on 26th street.  Also, speaking decent enough Spanish that you could comfortably navigate a conversation with at least a third grader goes a long way.

I'll definitely check out JBS' suggestions next time I'm in town.

/rant

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
Spelling so hard
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, JBS said:

Ha.  A wife and 5 kids, a fiance and a girlfriend and my mom lives with me now...no room at the table!

A wife, a fiance, and a girlfriend. Sounds complicated, but also sounds like a lucrative reality show.

Edited by Guest

Bye Bye Uptown Cantina 1511.   I don't get the details written here.... launching in a couple years?  New concept, but similar name?  Same location?    People if you have money to waste please throw some my way.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/September-2018/Cantina-1511-Closes-Uptown-Location-Plans-New-Concept/

I keep waiting for this same news for Loft and Cellar.  Beyond belief how that is still open.  NEVER see a sole in their any night of the week.

Edited by navigator319

23 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I keep waiting for this same news for Loft and Cellar.  Beyond belief how that is still open.  NEVER see a sole in their any night of the week.

I’m surprised it’s still open as well. It’s a sad case of great chef with no business acumen. Wish he woulda brought in a partner and just cooked cause their food is good 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 5:23 PM, navigator319 said:

Bye Bye Uptown Cantina 1511.   I don't get the details written here.... launching in a couple years?  New concept, but similar name?  Same location?    People if you have money to waste please throw some my way.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/September-2018/Cantina-1511-Closes-Uptown-Location-Plans-New-Concept/

The restaurant describes itself as a place “where foodies flock for authentic Mexican cuisine and cocktails.”

On 10/21/2018 at 3:29 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Who are the current owners? I don’t understand how this has been vacant for years when it’s literally top spot (“epicenter” lol, sorry) of NoDa. 

Have you ever been inside? Its a house, its space is more befitting of what it once was, a mansion. Its not the most suitable space for a restaurant, except outdoor. It worked for Mellow Mushroom because their spaces are always quirky. It worked for Revolution because it was well established as a mellow mushroom in peoples consciousness. 

On 10/19/2018 at 5:10 PM, 11 HouseBZ said:

So the recent painting and cleaning up of the property has been by the owners? Or do they already have someone else taking the lease? 

Supposedly they have another tenant in the works, but I expect that building to be demolished in 4-5 years for development. It and Smelly Cat sit on the nexus of NoDa.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/food-drink/article219381135.html

Wonderful article on the history of the Greek owned restaurants in Charlotte from the 1940s, 50s, 60s to now.  At one point all the restaurants on Trade and Tryon were Greek owned.  Also talks about how the Greek owned restaurants nowadays are more authentic since people are more open minded and exposed to real Greek food.  #ProudGreekHere 

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 3