Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Loft and Cellar Uptown has finally closed. Think it happened 2-4 weeks ago actually.

I hope Green's Lunch is still doing well...a Charlotte staple.  But I can't believe a developer hasn't bought that lot, at least the portion where the Park Signs building is.  The last super prime location sandwiched between Romare & the ball park where you could build something pretty substantial...doesn't get much better than that.

Your Pie in Southend has been gone for a month or two. It was a pretty crappy, auto-only location given the current state of the rail trail.

Unrelated to the above, I think quality is slipping at the Southend Blaze (which is not to say that it is going anywhere)

• Thanks 1

Just now, kermit said:

Your Pie in Southend has been gone for a month or two. It was a pretty crappy, auto-only location given the current state of the rail trail.

Unrelated to the above, I think quality is slipping at the Southend Blaze (which is not to say that it is going anywhere)

Blaze quality has been slipping for a while but it is ALWAYS packed.

Your Pie sucked

No surprise on WWR and Loft & Cellar. The lead chef at L&C is going to be working at Barcelona, the food was good, the concept was just not well executed. He will be great at Barcelona. 

44 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Nope, I just called them. They are still open!  I freaked out because my friends and I have plans there this weekend! Phew 

Very odd.  I'm very positive its been dark at night for weeks and I went by it at night to check for sure last week or the week before and was locked up.  I just kept forgetting to come into the 'coffee house' to post what I did.

Maybe you can ask what's up when you go.  My bad for the bad info.  Sorry.

17 hours ago, kermit said:

Only shocking that it lasted so long....

The Shoneys at Tryon and Harris in U City is -finally- gone

I forgot that this chain is still open.  I remember the one in Salisbury use to have a great breakfast buffet back in the day (mid-80's)!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

^Or personal financial trouble of the franchise owner? The one at Blakeney has closed as well which seems to indicate it is more than a lease dispute with one landlord.

Yes I would now say franchise owner problems because that Blakeney location was always busy from the times I was there.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/04/eatery-reaches-end-of-line-in-uptown-plans-to-keep.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2019-01-04&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1546637050&j=85857121

22 hours ago, tozmervo said:

FFS. Apparently me being even remotely regular at a restaurant in uptown is a death warrant. Newk's has apparently closed for good and without notice.

Looks like you are off the hook as the Blakeney location closed too must be problems with the franchisee.  

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 4:42 AM, asthasr said:

Bangkok Ocha (little Thai place in the shopping center at 51 and Carmel Rd) is marked as closed on Google and Yelp. :( Seems they closed in late October. I should've eaten there more often...

I was there their last week of operations. The owner said that the costs were way too high. I am guessing his rent was being pushed up.

But this one is definitely a loss for Charlotte!

On 1/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, sakami said:

Nothing but Noodles on Elizabeth Ave closed on 12/16. They cited increased rent as the reason for the closure. 

This was one of the last remaining "Nothing but Noodles" franchises. Turns out ripping off a not-that-popular (Noodles & Co.) franchise isn't a great business model. 

• Like 2

Levant (under the Mint uptown) was gone today. Discovered this after I made a long scooter trip because I had a strong craving for potatoes harra. Bummer (I have found better middle Eastern but not better potatoes harra)

I seriously miss the golden age of Kabob Grill.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, kermit said:

Levant (under the Mint uptown) was gone today. Discovered this after I made a long scooter trip because I had a strong craving for potatoes harra. Bummer (I have found better middle Eastern but not better potatoes harra)

I seriously miss the golden age of Kabob Grill.

They had a long history of berating their customers. Good Riddance. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1