Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

Longboards on East blvd is gone.

No surprise, I was in there last week and they only had 2 or 3 beers on tap (but still had a draft list of nearly 20).

I hope something can work there eventually, its a tough spot since it lacks parking.

Too bad, they put a lot of work into that space and did a pretty good job...the food was decent but no Cabo. We can't support that many taco/burrito places in a short stretch. It needs to be something destination enough that people won't mind the parking situation (since people here can't be bothered to walk 1-2 blocks normally). I think its time that Charlotte got a sort of high end speakeasy/mixology type bar and this would be a great spot for one. 

Longboards on East blvd is gone.

No surprise, I was in there last week and they only had 2 or 3 beers on tap (but still had a draft list of nearly 20).

I hope something can work there eventually, its a tough spot since it lacks parking.

This doesn't surprise me one bit.   

-Prices were a bit too high 

-Parking was terrible

-Owner was a total douchebag to his employees

-Food was mediocre 

It's just so disappointing that Dilworth lacks good and unique restaurants.  Cantina is so commercialized and not authentic at all, totally overrated.  JJ's hot dogs is nothing to brag about.  Just Fresh is a total rip off and mediocre at best.  Kabob Grill is mediocre (if you are familiar with Mediterranean & Middle Eastern food) and is extremely overpriced.  There are better Middle Eastern places on Sharon Amity/Central.  People just go there because they don't know any better and are dumb enough to pay the prices.  East Blvd Grill has ok bar food but the atmosphere in there is depressing.  Brixx is ok, Bad Daddy's is legit, and 300 East is pretty good.  Crisp I love but obviously just for lunch.  That's about it. Let's see if this new Tex-Mex place opening at former Sole/Italian Pie spot will last.

This doesn't surprise me one bit.   

-Prices were a bit too high 

-Parking was terrible

-Owner was a total douchebag to his employees

-Food was mediocre 

It's just so disappointing that Dilworth lacks good and unique restaurants.  Cantina is so commercialized and not authentic at all, totally overrated.  JJ's hot dogs is nothing to brag about.  Just Fresh is a total rip off and mediocre at best.  Kabob Grill is mediocre (if you are familiar with Mediterranean & Middle Eastern food) and is extremely overpriced.  There are better Middle Eastern places on Sharon Amity/Central.  People just go there because they don't know any better and are dumb enough to pay the prices.  East Blvd Grill has ok bar food but the atmosphere in there is depressing.  Brixx is ok, Bad Daddy's is legit, and 300 East is pretty good.  Crisp I love but obviously just for lunch.  That's about it. Let's see if this new Tex-Mex place opening at former Sole/Italian Pie spot will last.

Uh... Seriously? What about Copper, Thai Taste and 131 Main? Those are all solid restaurants. Heck, I have co-workers from other parts of country that make a point to go to Copper when they come into town. I agree Longboard's probably won't be missed, but to say Dilworth lacks good and unique restaurants is completely untrue.

Am I the only one around here who is still absolutely in love with JJ's? I haven't had anything there that wasn't amazing, and its become one of my favorite quick cheap snack spots, and their roof one of my favorite places to walk my dog to with friends to have a beer. 

I've never been inside JJ's but I've had their dogs at a couple craft beer events around town and they were quite solid. And I eat probably less than 10 hot dogs a year.

Am I the only one around here who is still absolutely in love with JJ's? I haven't had anything there that wasn't amazing, and its become one of my favorite quick cheap snack spots, and their roof one of my favorite places to walk my dog to with friends to have a beer.

I have found myself in there about twice a month since it opened. JJ's remains my go to spot when I'm craving a good dog and a cold beer. I do wish their onion rings were better though.

• 5 weeks later...

From the Biz Journal:

Delta’s Restaurant Charlotte has closed its doors “effective immediately,” the uptown eatery said in an email to its patrons and on its website.

The soul food and live music venue opened in May 2012 in the former GW Fins’ space at the 525 North Tryon building. The nearly 9,000-square-foot space had been vacant for two years.

“Business was great over the weekends, but during the week it wasn’t enough to sustain us,” says Coretta King Pinelli, co-owner. “It’s amazing how you can be busy one day and have to close the next. It really does happen that quickly.”

Pinelli says co-owner Joshua Suggs will return to work at Delta’s original location in New Brunswick, N.J., which celebrates its 14th year in December.

I would think that this location will finally be split into 2 spaces, 9k at that location is too big, at least until the Grubb project gets completed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think its been a few weeks but the Fox and Hound (7th and Tryon) is gone.

It seems Duckworth's is looking to move into the old Fox and Hound.  They plan on doing a complete renovation on the inside including adding retractable doors that will open up to the street side seating.

• Like 1

It seems Duckworth's is looking to move into the old Fox and Hound.  They plan on doing a complete renovation on the inside including adding retractable doors that will open up to the street side seating.

That would be FANTASTIC. I love Duckworth's and that would be an awesome addition to uptown. Do you have a story link or anything? Or a timeline?

That would be FANTASTIC. I love Duckworth's and that would be an awesome addition to uptown. Do you have a story link or anything? Or a timeline?

No story yet as I think they are currently getting design proposals.  The owner of Duckworth's is a family friend and we were discussing it yesterday.

Encore at Blakeney is gone, with the space to be filled by Bravo Cucina Italiana, which is apparently some chain by the same company as Brio.  Encore had been at Blakeney since the beginning.  According to this article and comments, Bravo was selected even before the employees at Encore knew that Encore was going away:  http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/italian/bravo-cucina-italiana-coming-blakeney/#.UsF_aBxDubE

• 2 weeks later...

If something worth a damn is put in there, I think Gateway is a busy enough area to support it, but most of the foot traffic is culinary students who aren't going to be lenient on a mediocre sandwich shop. 

I believe a new restaurant is open in the Town/Frankies/whatever else space on the Trade St. side. Didn't get a good look though and can't remember the name. It's a nice space that just needs the right concept.  

If something worth a damn is put in there, I think Gateway is a busy enough area to support it, but most of the foot traffic is culinary students who aren't going to be lenient on a mediocre sandwich shop. 

I believe a new restaurant is open in the Town/Frankies/whatever else space on the Trade St. side. Didn't get a good look though and can't remember the name. It's a nice space that just needs the right concept.  

Where is this new place you're talking about?? Don't know what frankies is. And Karma wasn't bad, and it always had people in it.

Where is this new place you're talking about?? Don't know what frankies is. And Karma wasn't bad, and it always had people in it.

That's good, I just assumed that the lunch clientele there are going to have high standards to meet. I guess it wasn't quite enough though. Little Village Grill kills it as does the Herban Legend truck on Thursdays. 

The restaurant I'm talking about is on Trade, in the other building that is closer to the tracks. It is the space nearest or next nearest the alley/plaza between the two buildings. When I first moved here it was a high end restaurant called Town, then it was a gourmet pizza place, then it was Frankie's Trattoria (not sure if it was related to the place on Morehead but it didn't last long), and now its something else that I've only caught a glimpse of as I was driving past. 

That's good, I just assumed that the lunch clientele there are going to have high standards to meet. I guess it wasn't quite enough though. Little Village Grill kills it as does the Herban Legend truck on Thursdays. 

The restaurant I'm talking about is on Trade, in the other building that is closer to the tracks. It is the space nearest or next nearest the alley/plaza between the two buildings. When I first moved here it was a high end restaurant called Town, then it was a gourmet pizza place, then it was Frankie's Trattoria (not sure if it was related to the place on Morehead but it didn't last long), and now its something else that I've only caught a glimpse of as I was driving past. 

Oh, it was a soul food place called Nana's....thats already closed up shop