Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

22 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Extreme hottake I know: Owens is insanely overrated. 

Yup. The steamed bagels were always weird,  but they did have a pretty good space.

Poppy's is soooo much better.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I don't know for certain but I feel like the owners were newbies to running a business, so just "beginner's luck" maybe.

I never did get a chance to eat there so I can't provide any first hand account of the food/service/etc.

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I don't know for certain but I feel like the owners were newbies to running a business, so just "beginner's luck" maybe.

I never did get a chance to eat there so I can't provide any first hand account of the food/service/etc.

It's a sister restaurant to something in Oxford Ohio even with the Miami U decor (sorry if this is common knowledge).  Not sure if the owners are of any relation or just "franchised"

http://bagelanddelishop.weebly.com/

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

9 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Everything about this concept seemed odd, from the building, to how it said "NoDa Italian American Restaurant" and didn't seem to have an apparent name. 

Red House Cafe was great, just a random fit for the area. At the very least it's nice they made such great upgrades to the space, particularly the side walk-up counter and patio area. That can be a great space for some kind of business to take advantage of; I had always thought an ice cream window was too ahead of it's time in NoDa - that seems like an at-capacity thing for the neighborhood.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Red House Cafe was great, just a random fit for the area. At the very least it's nice they made such great upgrades to the space, particularly the side walk-up counter and patio area. That can be a great space for some kind of business to take advantage of; I had always thought an ice cream window was too ahead of it's time in NoDa - that seems like an at-capacity thing for the neighborhood.

An ice cream window, a donut window, and a popsicle place all within about a block.

• Like 2

Haven't been to Rock Bottom in years but when it opened I was there a lot.  It was one of the few places reasonably priced uptown at the time.  I think the space is big maybe it should be broken up into 2 spaces.   North Tryon is really tough north of 7th St and I also think Duckworths a local chain really hurt them too.  

• Like 2

The outdoor dining, windows and sign really catch people's attention.   There are few places that a passerby looking to eat dinner or weekend lunch will notice as well as Rock bottom in uptown.  In recent years they've rode the coattails of the brewery rep and even mention on the their "Charlotte's oldest brewery."    It is a big space, they a very large outdoor section in the back too, i'm not sure if was or can be used at night, because of the townhouses in the courtyard.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CriticalT said:

The outdoor dining, windows and sign really catch people's attention.   There are few places that a passerby looking to eat dinner or weekend lunch will notice as well as Rock bottom in uptown.  In recent years they've rode the coattails of the brewery rep and even mention on the their "Charlotte's oldest brewery."    It is a big space, they a very large outdoor section in the back too, i'm not sure if was or can be used at night, because of the townhouses in the courtyard.  

Yeah, they often had live music in the rear courtyard and you could see people in the Condo building behind enjoying it on their balconies.

With Rock Bottom having the brewing equipment already there, it would be nice to see one the actual "local" breweries open up a second location a la Legion in SouthPark. Heck, or maybe create a collaboration with a CLT brewery and another NC/SC one. Right concept there would do well. 

• Like 3

On 3/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, CLT> said:

Rock Bottom Brewery at 401 N Tryon is closing on March 25th. Charlotte's first brewpub.

The food dropped off in recent years, but still sad to see them go.

Anybody ever wonder if it wasn't the food that dropped off over the years, it was actually your tastes becoming more refined? This is something I wrestle with a lot, just wondering if it was just me. The food I remember loving at Rock Bottom 12 years ago, I wouldn't think of as a first choice dinner today. 

Edited by Guest