Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

21 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

So from that moment I am a Nebraska fan.  People, state and university, in order of ardor.

I love you too tarhoosier!  Yes, grodney is a native Nebraskan.  Not from anywhere nearly as big as Grand Island, but somewhat near there.  ("Grand Isle" mispelling is cute!)

Obligatory bar/restaurant bites the dust:  Not really a bar, but the "Score" coffee shop slash fashion place slash hangout place in Latta Arcade is gone.  I hadn't been in there in months, so not sure when it bit it.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

I love you too tarhoosier!  Yes, grodney is a native Nebraskan.  Not from anywhere nearly as big as Grand Island, but somewhat near there.  ("Grand Isle" mispelling is cute!)

Obligatory bar/restaurant bites the dust:  Not really a bar, but the "Score" coffee shop slash fashion place slash hangout place in Latta Arcade is gone.  I hadn't been in there in months, so not sure when it bit it.

It's been closed for a hot minute, they didn't close for good, just moved to Elizabeth.

• Like 2

^was it Tovalo or something like that? An Italian joint I think. Didnt realize JJs was going there. I guess with all these new resturants and Top Golf, that old rumored high-rise residential was just that, a rumor. Which is good because I would hate to see this building go. This area was the original epicentre back in the day. Alley cats, forum, even Bar charlotte lol. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

^was it Tovalo or something like that? An Italian joint I think. Didnt realize JJs was going there. I guess with all these new resturants and Top Golf, that old rumored high-rise residential was just that, a rumor. Which is good because I would hate to see this building go. This area was the original epicentre back in the day. Alley cats, forum, even Bar charlotte lol. 

I believe the comment was that the selling of this property to it's current owner could only be for a long-term goal of selling for high-rise development, given it's location. Sad, yes. Even though I never enjoyed clubs this block was always cool to people watch at night (in a NOT creepy way, obv)...

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Does anyone know what's happening with Packhouse next to the Y on Morehead?  Their website implies changes, but assuming current ownership remains.

The appeared closed this past Saturday night driving by.

I know they’ve been struggling (unlike Capishe next door). Might be them calling it quits. 

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Does anyone know what's happening with Packhouse next to the Y on Morehead?  Their website implies changes, but assuming current ownership remains.

The appeared closed this past Saturday night driving by.

Summit room was closed on Saturday as well -- I had thought they said their tax issues were temporary.

• Sad 1

On 4/2/2019 at 9:47 PM, kermit said:

Summit room was closed on Saturday as well -- I had thought they said their tax issues were temporary.

Hmm we were at The Summit Room the day after that news came out and things seemed to be operating like normal. I was at Mayobird today and it was most definitely open. We’ve been to Packhouse twice and both times we had problems with the kitchen and service. Wouldn’t surprise me if  enough others had experienced the same problems and they are struggling. 

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, DH17 said:

Sad to hear about Pike's, but glad they will stay open elsewhere. The location was nearly empty the last time I was nearby during peak dinner hours.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article230086614.html

Was one of my favorite places when I first moved to Charlotte but haven't been in years.  Agree that another location will be better for them with what South End has become.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Was one of my favorite places when I first moved to Charlotte but haven't been in years.  Agree that another location will be better for them with what South End has become.

this building has been vacant forever

zoV9rmz.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, sakami said:

Hmm we were at The Summit Room the day after that news came out and things seemed to be operating like normal. I was at Mayobird today and it was most definitely open. We’ve been to Packhouse twice and both times we had problems with the kitchen and service. Wouldn’t surprise me if  enough others had experienced the same problems and they are struggling. 

Yeah, I wanted to like Packhouse as I liked the menu and the build out, but they have executed poorly. 

Edited by Bruco72

51 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Such a fantastic building. Would love to know it's history.

Formerly the home of Mecklenburg Furniture, in business from 1960s or 70s through 2007.  I believe it has been vacant since then except for random pop-up events.  Interesting design on the inside -- technically 6 stories as it features a split level design along 3 floors.  2 below grad and 4 above grade (grade slopes downward away from Providence).  Not sure if it was home to someone else before Mecklenburg Furniture.

• Like 1