Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

16 hours ago, navigator319 said:

I used to think this was a bad location when Bentley’s (or whatever it was before L&C) closed, but now that we have the Ballpark and all of the apartments around RB Park, it isn’t that out-of-the-way. I wonder what it’ll become next.

I would be extremely disappointing if a 7 floor cinder block built fith and poplar type thing was ever built here.  IMO not even remotely the right spot for that type of development.

16 minutes ago, DMann said:

Three parcels on that block, Loft & Cellar, Greens, Park Signs.  I could envision another Fifth & Poplar development there.

• 1 month later...

The Novkovics opened their bakery on Iverson, just off South Blvd, in a light industrial park that later became the Lowes complex. This was 1996 and I was a customer from near the beginning. Fresh bread with varieties rarely seen here was a marker for the improving culture of this city. When I went there the first time they were selling to the public, though only through word of mouth, and they looked surprised when a customer entered. I am pleased that they and the city have prospered together. Immigrants and ambition make this country better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davidclt said:

It appears that Nova's on South Blvd. at Rensselaer has closed permanently to make way for a new building. I wonder if that whole corner will be redeveloped?

a new building? CVS is on one side and Einsteins is on the other, Einsteins isn't closed? 

Edited by Jayvee

That Nova's was in a building that in my memory was a Steak 'n' Egg Kitchen. There was one similar, if not the same, on Wilkinson between W Morehead and Remount, where a car lot sits now. This string of daylight  (or 24 hour) restaurants built small buildings that were designed like a brick house, as the current Nova outlet displays. The link below is to one in D. C. 

https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrispy/how-steak-n-egg-brings-washington-d-c-together

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, CTiger said:

Sushi Guru in Plaza Midwood has closed per Charlotte Agenda.  That one is sort of surprising to me.  Always packed when I went.

Apparently their reasoning is that not being open for lunch was keeping them from making enough to stay open, which doesn't really make sense to me. The rent is the same either way but not being open for lunch saves on food/employee/utility costs. Or, you know, just start being open at lunch if that's the problem.

• Like 3

Sushi Guru in Plaza Midwood has closed per Charlotte Agenda.  That one is sort of surprising to me.  Always packed when I went.
I'm not going to miss it. Was there twice, and my impression was that it was overpriced for the quality of the food.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1