Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

Wow, massively scaled-back operation at the uptown JJ's Red Hots.  Only 5 dogs available (so no dog of the week at this location) plus build-your-own with the ingredients on hand.  Two sausages on the menu.  Sides are limited to fries and tots.  No beer and no kombucha.  Obviously fewer staff on hand.  Still $2 dogs on Tuesdays, so get 'em while you can.  I hope they can make it work, but this doesn't look good.

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, grodney said:

Wrapido in Latta Arcade is gone......I haven't been over there lately, so this could be really old news.  Their spot is vacant.

It's been gone for a while (few months I think).  The only time I ate there, the individual wrapping my wrap did not know how to wrap a wrap.  I wish I was embellishing this story.  I never went back.

I think the operator is still on the lease and is bringing a new concept?  That could be old news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

I’m shocked any of them remain open.  What mediocrity. 

My wife and myself laughed yesterday when we saw it. We live nearby and always said we will try it some day, never got around to it, but sounds like we didn't miss much.

2 hours ago, stw52 said:

My wife and myself laughed yesterday when we saw it. We live nearby and always said we will try it some day, never got around to it, but sounds like we didn't miss much.

Well if you ever have a hunger for forgettable, there are two more still.  One by Rhino Market in Freemore and one next to Mellow Mushroom downtown. 

On 2/8/2020 at 8:44 AM, turbocraig said:

I’m shocked any of them remain open.  What mediocrity. 

Not just that but it was pretty expensive for what you got.  I work walking distance and have been twice and only if someone else was paying.   That said, SouthPark doesn't really have a true good burger joint and it's a shame.   We have $14 burgers at Legion/Cowfish and $2 Wendy's and not much in between.  I'm not a 5 Guys person, but I bet it would do well in that location. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Not just that but it was pretty expensive for what you got.  I work walking distance and have been twice and only if someone else was paying.   That said, SouthPark doesn't really have a true good burger joint and it's a shame.   We have $14 burgers at Legion/Cowfish and $2 Wendy's and not much in between.  I'm not a 5 Guys person, but I bet it would do well in that location. 

Five guys atmosphere is terrible.  Enough with the burger places that have paper towel rolls on the table.  I think those are tacky in general but even more-so in South Park.  Let’s get something quality like cowfish but not as expensive.  Maybe a Hop Doddy or something  

1 hour ago, Temeteron said:

Five guys atmosphere is terrible.  Enough with the burger places that have paper towel rolls on the table.  I think those are tacky in general but even more-so in South Park.  Let’s get something quality like cowfish but not as expensive.  Maybe a Hop Doddy or something  

Oh I'm not a Five Guys fan at all, but they are always busy and the american burger spot is a odd location.   I think something like a Bad Daddys or HopCat (for those familiar) would do good in the old taco mac spot as well.   Not as good as Cowfish but a whole lot easier to get into and a lower price point.     The hopdoddy concepts sounds like it would be a hit in the American Burger Co spot.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:25 AM, grodney said:

Wow, massively scaled-back operation at the uptown JJ's Red Hots.  Only 5 dogs available (so no dog of the week at this location) plus build-your-own with the ingredients on hand.  Two sausages on the menu.  Sides are limited to fries and tots.  No beer and no kombucha.  Obviously fewer staff on hand.  Still $2 dogs on Tuesdays, so get 'em while you can.  I hope they can make it work, but this doesn't look good.

JJ's is probably the least impressive hyped local spot. It is just not good and should not exist as this type of semi-seated hot dog concept in an expensive uptown space. 

4 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Isn't there a Five Guys in the mall?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rancenc said:

Fuzzy's Tacos has closed! To be honest, this is the first time I have heard of the chain!:tw_hushed:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article240164743.html

I had been to all 3 of the Charlotte locations great place for quick cheap lunch.  it was a problem with their franchisee evidently. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bold Missy in NoNoda is closing.  I always forget about those few places up there.  That part of Noda always seemed kind of a nether area.  Too far to realistically walk if you’re bar crawling, too short to justify an Uber.   Sort of out of sight, out of mind.  And the closest rail stop is Sugar Creek, which is a weird and long disjointed walk through an aging commercial zone to get to those bars.  I hate to see them shut, but whenever we went it never seemed busy.  

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article240545466.html

Edited by turbocraig
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Bold Missy in NoNoda is closing.  I always forget about those few places up there.  That part of Noda always seemed kind of a nether area.  Too far to realistically walk if you’re bar crawling, too short to justify an Uber.   Sort of out of sight, out of mind.  And the closest rail stop is Sugar Creek, which is a weird and long disjointed walk through an aging commercial zone to get to those bars.  I hate to see them shut, but whenever we went it never seemed busy.  

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article240545466.html

Love Divine Barrel up there, Bold Missy just never impressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, kermit said:

People's Market is done. Not surprised, it was an expensive space which was never full. It always felt like a very bleached Common Market to me.

I am surprised!  Everytime i've been there around 10-noon on a weekday the place was humming along with only a couple tables open and the bar full.  It was a popular work space and some good food.  I doubted it would be successful at first too, but food menu changed and prices were lowered.  A dilworth common market seemed to fit a niche.   With the starbucks across Scott closing soon and growth coming to east blvd i'm just really surprised.  

Edited by CriticalT
  • Like 3