Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

1 minute ago, navigator319 said:

American Berger Co has closed in Uptown.

Only so long you can go with no lunch crowd. With many banks likely staying work from home through year-end, I don't know how many places dependent on the lunch rush will make it Uptown. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, kermit said:

Gezzz Bottle Cap Group sucks. Its as if they have brainstorming sessions to try and find new and innovative ways to be dicks.

https://qcnerve.com/bottle-cap-group-retaliates-against-woman-for-calling-out-racism/

(This story even involves BCG deciding to boycott a local brewery)

It’d be nice if their places actually wound up on this thread. Ugh. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kermit said:

Gezzz Bottle Cap Group sucks. Its as if they have brainstorming sessions to try and find new and innovative ways to be dicks.

https://qcnerve.com/bottle-cap-group-retaliates-against-woman-for-calling-out-racism/

(This story even involves BCG deciding to boycott a local brewery)

What do you expect from the Nickelback of restaurant groups?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

https://i.redd.it/1qnwtyd2ao651.jpg

And then there's this. Taken from the Charlotte reddit.

Of course they had closed (6-ish?) months ago, but hey... stay classy.

Yeah why blame your own management of poor service, lack up upkeep to the space, decline in quality and general lack of enthusiasm in the biz when you can blame someone else!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Fitzgerald's in Uptown is shutting down.

Uptown's dining recovery still seems to be lagging the broader metro area. The boarded up buildings don't incentivize non-Uptown residents to come dine out and businesses the rely on office workers likely aren't getting foot traffic back until 2021.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Uptown's dining recovery still seems to be lagging the broader metro area. The boarded up buildings don't incentivize non-Uptown residents to come dine out and businesses the rely on office workers likely aren't getting foot traffic back until 2021.

They weren’t that great anyway.  I do agree though that uptown’s options aren’t up to par with other areas.  Hopefully things improve soon

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

exactly we need to try to support our uptown favorites as the many will not survive hotel occupancy is much higher in the suburbs than the city core (and that is not saying much) and with the void of office workers many places are struggling uptown.  It has reached crisis point if you ask me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They were on the way out prior to all this. No doubt though it was the final straw. As he said in the article sometimes the concept does not fit and he is right. I think B Good is next to close. Covid is such a neat and tidy excuse for so many things.

Boss: why is this analysis a week late?

Me: Sorry spent 6 hours this week trying to find paper towels because of covid.

Boss: ah ok yea it’s tough out there

1 minute ago, navigator319 said:

They were on the way out prior to all this. No doubt though it was the final straw. As he said in the article sometimes the concept does not fit and he is right. I think B Good is next to close. Covid is such a neat and tidy excuse for so many things.

Boss: why is this analysis a week late?

Me: Sorry spent 6 hours this week trying to find paper towels because of covid.

Boss: ah ok yea it’s tough out there

What restaurant closed? 

Agreed - even at peak B Good seemed to be struggling. I have found my lunches there to be wildly uneven

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

What restaurant closed? 

Agreed - even at peak B Good seemed to be struggling. I have found my lunches there to be wildly uneven

JJ Red Hots uptown.    the uptown restaurant seen is the worse part of the restaurant sector in the city right now and there will be unfortunately a lot of empty restaurant spots.    Very few uptown office workers, unrest uptown, no hotel guests all is a recipe for disaster.  

• Thanks 2

JJs closed and yeah b.Good is next. Its a shame for that great retail price. 

b.good just isn’t .... well.....good. And JJs never caught on for whatever reason. Rhino kills it though. Just gotta have the right concepts in there. A cocktail bar would be a great fit for the b.good space if you ask me

14 minutes ago, Jt282506 said:

JJs closed and yeah b.Good is next. Its a shame for that great retail price. 

b.good just isn’t .... well.....good. And JJs never caught on for whatever reason. Rhino kills it though. Just gotta have the right concepts in there. A cocktail bar would be a great fit for the b.good space if you ask me

Yeah I never liked B. good either.  It’ll be interesting to see what kind of retail spots fill the building being redeveloped across from Ink & Ivy on the corner.  This is just bad timing in general for uptown restaurants and retail

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 3:35 PM, elrodvt said:

It wouldn't be nearly as bad an issue if downtown weren't such crap. Close some streets including Tryon and add outside dining. Then people will flock there. No vision...

I dont believe that one bit.  Closing streets would not bring people back.  With all the office towers devoid of office workers there is no customer base and has not been since late March going on 5  months and there is no end in sight yet.  Businesses can not survive that many months of no business.  Things will come back but our uptown landlords need to lower the rents to get some tenants back in there.  The problem right now is not too much traffic but not enough traffic of any kind pedestrian or vehicular.  There are very few guests on top of that no special events, no museums or theaters open that draw diners and customers. No sporting events etc.   The current retail base for uptown is built with the 100,000 office workers in mind with icing on the cake the local maybe 15,000 residents inside the loop and the 1000s of hotel guests and locals coming uptown for something special.    Until the office workers return en masse expect more permanent closures.  

However when the office workers come back be that in 2021 or sooner hopefully you will see the uptown area bloom again.  

• Like 4