Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

5 minutes ago, Prodev said:

The 4+ acres including the storage behind the buildings on Scaleybark are all under contract with Embrey Partners out of TX.  Supposedly it's a ~400 unit apartment deal planned. 

Thanks for the detail.  I partly assumed that, otherwise it'd be a very skinny apartment building without that land

46 minutes ago, Prodev said:

The 4+ acres including the storage behind the buildings on Scaleybark are all under contract with Embrey Partners out of TX.  Supposedly it's a ~400 unit apartment deal planned. 

Sounds like their 3 properties had some real value. Good on them.  Retire and live the good life and have people cook for them for a change.

Also....anyone have some cheap property I can buy now and then sell in 15yrs at  100x more than I paid so I can retire comfortably in Hawaii??  I don't really want to have buy a house near a lava flow just so I an afford one. LOL

26 minutes ago, hambone931 said:

Is the corner where the old gas station was included?

Without the gas station the 3 properties on Scaleybark and storage facility amount to 3.96 acres per Polaris.  With the gas station it's 4.2, since Prodev mentioned 4+ acres I think it'd mean yes :)

Also aligns to the machinery drilling into the ground at the gas station lot two weeks ago

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

According to the early Greek immigrants themselves there was a low bar for entry in the food business, particularly their simple burger or meat and three places. New immigrants were hired by previous immigrants and encouraged and supported to go on their own. Men cooking in Greek culture is supported while perhaps less so in the U. S. of that time.  The religious/national culture, though small, was tight knit and supportive providing access to suppliers, suggestions for locations, perhaps even financing, idk. Greek food was "foreign" but Italian accepted so some went a middle road and had Italian with mixed Mediterranean and a Greek specialty or two. I went to Open Kitchen ~two years ago, first time in long time since Pinky was packed, and it was THE SAME as it was 40+ years ago. Same tablecloths, menu, decor, the SAME. Find a location, create a menu and STICK TO IT.

(Open Kitchen has an attractive location also, jus' sayin'.)

CMS had a social worker in the 1970's who worked exclusively with the Greek community which was centered in Sedgefield. Interpreting for parents, explaining and accompanying to parent meetings, translating paperwork; Sophie Hondros was her name. At that time the word immigrant in Charlotte meant Greek, nothing else.

I am Greek and I can agree with all this! We were one of the first immigrant groups in Charlotte and at one point owned the majority of restaurants here back in the 70s and 80s.  The younger generation Greeks are leaving the restaurant industry for banking and IT jobs.  

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 2

L-o-o-o-o-ng time friend of mine moved here when he was 5-6 y. o. with his family. He was the youngest. This would be about 70 years ago. His father, an immigrant from turkish Greece (too complex for this discussion) worked in a place in Virginia then came here and opened a hot dog restaurant on Park Avenue. This is about the lowest bar for a restaurant. In the block between Camden and South Boulevard which was the business district for Wilmore and Dilworth. Older siblings worked with him, mama ran the home. Later family moved to Florida and eventually returned to Charlotte. Gus says by his experience that if one has the right location, the right menu and willing to work long hours, you. will. make. money.

Kokenes (Greek) family has owned Open Kitchen since before little tarhoosier was around. I hope they stay but if their property is worth more than the business, who would change their mind?

There was an extremely interesting documentary on PBS (WTVI) several years ago about the Greek population here in Charlotte.  It put everything we currently see with regards to the churches, Greek Festival and the multitude of restaurants.  Not sure if you can still search for it on their website or Youtube - but definitely worth the watch!

Regarding Zack's - this is an unsettling trend we are seeing here in the city.  Before too long, we will be nothing but chain restaurants with no character or charm.  The day that Skyland closes, I'm leaving town!!!

• Like 2

Several of us could put our heads together and create quite a list of disappeared Greek owned restaurants. The names of newly opened Greek owned restaurants would be an extremely small number.

Edit: The Ilios group (whatever their name) have done some new establishments, I think.

Edited by tarhoosier

Greek Isles was Greek owned. It went in a new direction by featuring Greek dishes and not disguising the origin of the food or menu. I miss it. The owner walking around shmoozing with guests, making the place like his home. If you go to a Greek heritage place with a Greek friend you will receive a special reception and service, at least it happened to me.

• Like 2

Athens on Charlottetowne closed in 2007. For 43 years it was THE late night place for police, partiers, drunks, 2d and 3d shift workers, hospital staffers, cab drivers and all the other night owls. In the lilly white,  paste flavored Charlotte of the 1970's and 80's a trip to Athens after 10 pm was a seat in the theatre of society. It was open late, maybe 2 a.m., maybe later. Halloween at the Athens, after dark was Whoo-eee, spot the gay person; no not him, not her, maybe them, I give up. OK, now let's go the the bus station and goof on people and return to Athens for some coffee.*

*I did this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Was Greek Isles in South End Greek-owned? I assumed it was, it was a favorite restaurant of mine. 

Oh Athens Diner was awesome, definitely miss that place, too.

Yes damn how can I forget!?

11 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Greek Isles was Greek owned. It went in a new direction by featuring Greek dishes and not disguising the origin of the food or menu. I miss it. The owner walking around shmoozing with guests, making the place like his home. If you go to a Greek heritage place with a Greek friend you will receive a special reception and service, at least it happened to me.

Yes how can I forget one of my faves!? That family also owns French Quarter. Unfortunately Pano passed away last year and I think it was from Covid :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Was Greek Isles in South End Greek-owned? I assumed it was, it was a favorite restaurant of mine. 

Oh Athens Diner was awesome, definitely miss that place, too.

From what I remember, the family that runs French Quarter in Latta Arcade owned Greek Isles.  The father, Panos Photopoulos passed away in July of 2020.  Greek Isles had been closed for several years before that.  It was the place I took out of towner's to!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

From what I remember, the family that runs French Quarter in Latta Arcade owned Greek Isles.  The father, Panos Photopoulos passed away in July of 2020.  Greek Isles had been closed for several years before that.  It was the place I took out of towner's to!

Yes I mentioned that, so sad :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Temeteron said:

**Greek owned places in Charlotte that have closed: 

Athens Diner (was next to CPCC)

Greek Isles 

Zack’s 

Nolen Kitchen

Knife and Fork

Mantis Restaurant 

Mr. K’s

Uncle Jim’s 

Chris’ Deli

Crown Point Restaurant 

Acropolis (was a supermarket off Central)

**Greek owned places that are still around:

Kiki Bistro (my favorite)

Soul Gastrolounge 

Ilios Noche 

Ilios Crafted

Big View Diner

Vibe Cafe and Wine Bar

Mocco Bistro 

Mad Greek

Little Village Grill

Estia’s Kouzina

Landmark Diner

Stacks Kitchen (amazing NJ style Greek diner)

Skyland

French Quarter 

Greco’s Steak & Hoagie

Greco’s Fresh Grill

Open Kitchen 

South 21

Sunrise 

521 BBQ Tega Cay

House of Pizza 

Empire Pizza

Gus’ Sir Beef

Captain Steve’s 

Captain Galley’s 

Captain Cap

Agora Greek market

Minos Foods Greek Market 

These are only a handful. There are so many others I just can’t think of right now. :)

Cosmos was also Greek owned.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article52119685.html

• Like 4