Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

On 6/28/2021 at 4:21 PM, JRNYP2C said:

Regarding Zack's - this is an unsettling trend we are seeing here in the city.  Before too long, we will be nothing but chain restaurants with no character or charm.  The day that Skyland closes, I'm leaving town!!!

What year are you living in?  

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2021 at 8:16 PM, Temeteron said:

**Greek owned places in Charlotte that have closed: 

Athens Diner (was next to CPCC)

Greek Isles 

Zack’s 

Nolen Kitchen

Knife and Fork

Cosmos/Forum

Mantis Restaurant 

Mr. K’s

Uncle Jim’s 

Chris’ Deli

Crown Point Restaurant 

Acropolis (was a supermarket off Central)

**Greek owned places that are still around:

Kiki Bistro (my favorite)

Soul Gastrolounge 

Ilios Noche 

Ilios Crafted

Big View Diner

Vibe Cafe and Wine Bar

Mocco Bistro 

Mad Greek

Little Village Grill

Estia’s Kouzina

Landmark Diner

Stacks Kitchen (amazing NJ style Greek diner)

Skyland

French Quarter 

Greco’s Steak & Hoagie

Greco’s Fresh Grill

Open Kitchen 

South 21

Sunrise 

521 BBQ Tega Cay

House of Pizza 

Empire Pizza

Gus’ Sir Beef

Captain Steve’s 

Captain Galley’s 

Captain Cap

Agora Greek market

Minos Foods Greek Market 

These are only a handful. There are so many others I just can’t think of right now. :)

A few more:

Old Pineville Premium Pub

John's Restaurant

Kopper Kettle

Glenway Pub

Kid Cashew

On the closed list:

Georges Brasserie

This is about Mangione's, but has some references to a lot of Greek Places as well and the story is familiar and in common:

https://www.southernfoodways.org/when-sicily-came-to-charlotte/

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I hadn’t been but know a few folks that had gone (each once only).  Not one had a good thing to say about it.  Cold food (that tasted like Souffer’s frozen), under-seasoned dishes, uncaring management were the common threads.  I don’t mean to kick anyone when they’re down, but I’m not surprised to hear this one. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 8:38 PM, kermit said:

This should be in the Great News thread. Biscuitville is the second best mass produced biscuits in NC (after Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen in Chapel Hill)

[soooo disappointed in Callie's]

On 1/31/2020 at 10:56 AM, kermit said:

I went to Callie's Biscuit this morning about 30 minutes after their 10am open. It was raining and snowing, but there was a line 40 people deep down the sidewalk. So... my Bojangles wasn't bad....

Whoever manages to land the Waffle House franchise slot for Southend will become wealthier than David Tepper within a decade.

On 1/10/2021 at 5:18 PM, kermit said:

They are still open but gezzz has business fallen off at both Callies Hot Little and Maple Street on weekdays.

Just two years from opening to closing: Callie's Hot Little Biscuits lease, assets listed for $175K - Charlotte Business Journal

I never tried it based on @kermit's tepid review.

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

this is very true right now... Macs Speedshop posted this and always tip your servers 20% or more at least they are working...

May be an image of text that says 'AN OPEN LETTER... TO THE PEOPLE LEAVING BAD REVIEWS FOR RESTAURANTS IN THE MIDDLE OF A GLOBAL PANDEMIC, DURING THE BIGGEST LABOR SHORTAGE WE'VE EVER SEEN, A MAJOR SPIKE IN ALL COSTS TO US, SUPPLY CHAIN SHORTAGES AND ABOUT 1,000 OTHER ISSUES YOU CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO IMAGINE. WE RE DOING THE BEST WE DAMN WELL CAN: DON'T ŁEAVE THE REVIEW OR STAY HOME LOVE, THE ENTIRE RESTAURANT INDUSTRY'

I empathize with the entire restaurant industry.  This place is a really good place. I frequent it alot. 

Some other places I used to frequent have brought me cold food which is a potential serious health and safety risk and when I mentioned to the staff, they brought out the same thing and did nothing to correct it. Didn't even get a apology. Staff shortages should not give staff a excuse to be unprofessional. My opinion does not implicate the entire industry as a whole, but only the few establishments I have frequented. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Walking by a few minutes ago it sure does LOOK like Bocado is packing up and getting out of their Atherton Mill spot (the old Big Ben). There was a large, rented, moving truck loading in furniture and kitchen fixtures. The sign was also gone.

They are normally closed on Mondays, so there is a chance they are just refurbing and adjusting, but I would bet on them being gone.

edit: photo below was added a day late

4678B842-FFC5-463F-A0C5-2BCA6EDBAE28.jpeg

Edited by kermit

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Walking by a few minutes ago it sure does LOOK like Bocado is packing up and getting out of their Atherton Mill spot (the old Big Ben). There was a large, rented, moving truck loading in furniture and kitchen fixtures. The sign was also gone.

They are normally closed on Mondays, so there is a chance they are just refurbing and adjusting, but I would bet on them being gone.

It’s weird cause they just posted about their Mother’s Day brunch but yeah wouldn’t be surprised. Weird concept, never caught on and just wasn’t good. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kermit said:

They are still accepting reservations, so maybe not??   I too am not a fan of the place.