Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

21 hours ago, kermit said:

Walking by a few minutes ago it sure does LOOK like Bocado is packing up and getting out of their Atherton Mill spot (the old Big Ben). There was a large, rented, moving truck loading in furniture and kitchen fixtures. The sign was also gone.

They are normally closed on Mondays, so there is a chance they are just refurbing and adjusting, but I would bet on them being gone.

That didn't last long at all! 

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 3:07 PM, Madison Parkitect said:

Axios has now reported Bocado is closed and will "reopen with a new concept."

The new concept is imaginatively called Tremont, apparently owned by a Big Ben owner. Axios says they will have fish and chips but "otherwise completely different than Big Ben". Looking inside it had a little Comet vibe (with a grill behind the bar). Axios says it will open July 9, my view of the interior today makes me think that could happen. 

https://charlotte.axios.com/301322/scoop-new-bar-and-restaurant-tremont-opening-in-atherton-mill/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

The new concept is imaginatively called Tremont, apparently owned by a Big Ben owner. Axios says they will have fish and chips but "otherwise completely different than Big Ben". Looking inside it had a little Comet vibe (with a grill behind the bar). Axios says it will open July 9, my view of the interior today makes me think that could happen. 

https://charlotte.axios.com/301322/scoop-new-bar-and-restaurant-tremont-opening-in-atherton-mill/

The tables and chairs are so freaking ugly.  A 5 year old could’ve designed the decor better 

14 hours ago, Temeteron said:

The tables and chairs are so freaking ugly.  A 5 year old could’ve designed the decor better 

Why does every restaurant interior in the Southend look EXACTLY the same to me? Exposed brick, weird chandeliers that look out of place, cherry wood floors with matching tables/chairs, etc. 

This new place, Suffolk Punch, Leroy Fox, Stir, O-Ku, etc. all seem to have those features. 

I did however like the look/ambience of Indaco even though the food was mediocre to me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

The O reporting that Alchemy in SE is closing after two years.  I went once and didn’t care for it at all.  My dinner was close to inedible.   Next. 

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article263243468.html

They had good coffee and good drinks but the food was not that great

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

Sister in Plaza Midwood, formerly Kiki (below Soul Gastrolounge) is closing its doors.

I saw this. This is probably the biggest disappointment to me ever!  I can’t understand why this city supports so many overrated spots (especially in south end) and the places that are top quality fail.  Doesn’t make any sense to me. Also, what’s weird is they are same owner of Soul which is super popular and has been for over 12 years.  I know the owner well and great guy. So sad 

6 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I saw this. This is probably the biggest disappointment to me ever!  I can’t understand why this city supports so many overrated spots (especially in south end) and the places that are top quality fail.  Doesn’t make any sense to me. Also, what’s weird is they are same owner of Soul which is super popular and has been for over 12 years.  I know the owner well and great guy. So sad 

These are extremely hard times for the restaurant industry at the moment.  Profit margins have always been thin and they are razor thin now.  It sucks to see prices increasing but I guarantee you that places are making less per customer/plate/table whatever than they were just a few years ago.  Add to that the fact that more and more people are having to tighten the belt by eating out less it's pretty easy to understand that establishments that don't have an established customer base are going to struggle from day one.  If the number of times a couple can enjoy a night out per month is cut in half then they're most likely going to make the decision to go to places they know they like or where they are likely to run into friends instead of being adventurous. 

This is just a horrible time to open a new restaurant even if you are already the owner of a loved neighborhood spot. 

• Sad 1

Kiki was very overpriced for the food. Never made it to Sister but it looks like they steered too hard in the other direction and couldn't swing it for the money. 3.6 stars on Google, most of them about bad service. Plus probably a horrible decision to renovate/relaunch a place 3 times Tattoo/Kiki/Sister over 2 years during the pandemic...

20 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Well for one, Axios/Charlotte Agenda is just paid advertisements for new "awesome" restaurants.  Every popular blogger that wants free food and drinks writes the same glowing *review*.  When is the last time you saw far reaching social media say ANYTHING negative about a new restaurant/bar/concept?  Everything is just sunshine and rainbows because that is what pays the bills and what they are paid to write. 

The places that are truly good should get the press.  Gone are the days when Purvis from the Charlotte Observer was the main restaurant critic we had easy access to and gave a place it's due, or criticized it. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Well for one, Axios/Charlotte Agenda is just paid advertisements for new "awesome" restaurants.  Every popular blogger that wants free food and drinks writes the same glowing *review*.  When is the last time you saw far reaching social media say ANYTHING negative about a new restaurant/bar/concept?  Everything is just sunshine and rainbows because that is what pays the bills and what they are paid to write. 

The places that are truly good should get the press.  Gone are the days when Purvis from the Charlotte Observer was the main restaurant critic we had easy access to and gave a place it's due, or criticized it. 

I am a restaurant blogger (although just for fun mostly my IG: ouzoadventures) and if I find something not good quality I simply don’t post anything.  As a matter of fact if it’s bad I tend to write that as well.  I don’t care if it pays the bills or not. For example, Condando Tacos in South End. Horrible as hell! I’d rather go to Taco Bell.  People just let money run their life

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I am a restaurant blogger (although just for fun mostly my IG: ouzoadventures) and if I find something not good quality I simply don’t post anything.  As a matter of fact if it’s bad I tend to write that as well.  I don’t care if it pays the bills or not. For example, Condando Tacos in South End. Horrible as hell! I’d rather go to Taco Bell.  People just let money run their life

following you now!  always on the lookout for good/new places to go to with friends!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Does anyone in town have a good selection of Ouzo? 

Just now, tozmervo said:

Does anyone in town have a good selection of Ouzo? 

Well, there was Kiki/Sister but….lol.  You can try Ilios Noche or Kid Cashew.  Unfortunately in Charlotte people have no clue what ouzo and raki are unless they are Greek, Turkish or Balkan or have traveled to those places.  Hopefully we get more selections soon.  I’ve been based in chicago for the past 5 months and the Greek selections here are out of this world.  There is a supermarket here that is like the Greek version of Willy Wonka chocolate factory :)  

• Like 1