Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

Eggheads in brevard court has closed. I was a little surprised. I really liked the place and it always had SOME people in it, but I was more a fan of the concept (breakfast food on weekends and full bar with latenight menu) than the food itself which was just decent. I'm sure the new diners stole their thunder a bit.

The good news is that the windows are already papered up, and it seems like there won't be much of a wait for whatever is going in now.

Edited by nonillogical

Eggheads in brevard court has closed. I was a little surprised. I really liked the place and it always had SOME people in it, but I was more a fan of the concept (breakfast food on weekends and full bar with latenight menu) than the food itself which was just decent. I'm sure the new diners stole their thunder a bit.

The good news is that the windows are already papered up, and it seems like there won't be much of a wait for whatever is going in now.

One of the owners at Hooligans is opening something there. It's food, although I don't really know what kind. The name Of the place was a Norwegian word I think.

One of the owners at Hooligans is opening something there. It's food, although I don't really know what kind. The name Of the place was a Norwegian word I think.

Finally... a place Uptown that will serve Viking food!! :-)

Seriously, I'm disappointed Eggheads didn't make it. I think it was just a little too off the beaten path for people to notice it, although it did always seem to have at least a few people dining there whenever I went.

Seriously, I'm disappointed Eggheads didn't make it. I think it was just a little too off the beaten path for people to notice it, although it did always seem to have at least a few people dining there whenever I went.

My sentiments exactly. I guess with the opening of Midnight Diner and City Diner within a few blocks they saw a loss in the breakfast business. The Latta Arcade being closed on weekends never helped either (can they just friggin' do something about that already?!)

Good to know that the owner of Hooligans has plans for it though as it seems less like a closing and more like a retooling.

• 2 weeks later...

^In this new economy, it seems retail and restaurants located farthest from rooftops are increasingly at risk of closing. Meanwhile, locations offering shorter drive-access and/or within walking distance of dense residential seem the most resilient.

Hence, corridors like Central Avenue have more restaurants than any other time in recent history, while Independence now has the fewest.

More developers and retailers should take notice that a site's density (purchasing power of surrounding residential areas) and a site's access (short drive or walk) matter more than a site's traffic volumes.

^In this new economy, it seems retail and restaurants located farthest from rooftops are increasingly at risk of closing. Meanwhile, locations offering shorter drive-access and/or within walking distance of dense residential seem the most resilient.

Hence, corridors like Central Avenue have more restaurants than any other time in recent history, while Independence now has the fewest.

More developers and retailers should take notice that a site's density (purchasing power of surrounding residential areas) and a site's access (short drive or walk) matter more than a site's traffic volumes.

True. The Galleria/Crown Point area has a lot of traffic but there isn't a lot of residential development surrounding it. That could be why everything seems to be failing. In the past being near Wal-Mart meant sure success. I guess that isn't the case anymore?

The Attic Bar and Madison's have both closed on 5th street. However, a new spot is already open called Prohibition that takes up the space of both of these places on the 2nd floor above Town Tavern and Phil's. The Attic was one of my favorite spots to grab a beer on a weekday (not so much on the weekend when it was shoulder-to-shoulder packed). I haven't been inside Prohibition yet, but if it has a speakeasy vibe, then I might just enjoy it as well.

The Attic Bar and Madison's have both closed on 5th street. However, a new spot is already open called Prohibition that takes up the space of both of these places on the 2nd floor above Town Tavern and Phil's. The Attic was one of my favorite spots to grab a beer on a weekday (not so much on the weekend when it was shoulder-to-shoulder packed). I haven't been inside Prohibition yet, but if it has a speakeasy vibe, then I might just enjoy it as well.

it got a great review in CL and i think the signage looks nice. not a big deal one way or the other. i liked the two tiny hole in the walls, but i think the same feel is there.

• 4 months later...

Ok, I know this has been Several years, but does anyone remember this smoothie cafe called California Juice Co.? I was wondering if it relocated or it was just a single location chain? They had amazing drinks! It was located up near Cornelius.

Drew

• 6 months later...

Did anyone realize that Buckhead Saloon closed? I had no idea. Apparently it is already occupied by a new bar with a soft opening tonight called Fitzgerald's Irish Pub.

Not surprised. Buckhead had some sketchy business practices for years and it's numbers continued to dwindle, only appearing busy with drunk college students on Saturday night. Fitzgeralds is owned by the same group that runs Kennedy's over in Elizabeth. They seem to know how to get the job done.

While the neo-penguin still exists, today's CBJ reports that Martin Sprock sold his interest in the business to his former partner Lisa Ballantyne. The short table-talk section blurb implied (but did not state) that the franchising plans are now on hold.

Center City Diner on 5th is closed, available sign up. I don't think there's anything wrong with that space except that the rent is probably very high. However, as much as a 24/7 diner is an awesome idea on 5th, the food there was simply terrible. I hope for some new owners to try a similar concept and get it right.

• 2 weeks later...

While the neo-penguin still exists, today's CBJ reports that Martin Sprock sold his interest in the business to his former partner Lisa Ballantyne. The short table-talk section blurb implied (but did not state) that the franchising plans are now on hold.

Although I never like to see a local business slump, I hope this really makes them aware that you don't mess with an institution like the Penguin. Shortly after the reopening I went in to give the "new" Penguin a try. Food wasn't much different (it WAS your basic greasy spoon after all), but the soul was clearly gone. I'm sure they're regretting their decision every day.

• 4 months later...

:-( :-( :-( :-(

One of my all time favorites Providence Cafe is closing its doors to be replaced by a California Restaurant called Napa. Not sure if this is a well known fact yet, so keep it on the DL (as I post it in a public forum)

One of my all time favorites Providence Cafe is closing its doors to be replaced by a California Restaurant called Napa. Not sure if this is a well known fact yet, so keep it on the DL (as I post it in a public forum)

Their food was quite good, but both times I went there some of the rich old folks that populate the place made me feel unwelcome, like this scruffy young punk was invading their sanctum.

Haha, I was always a scruffy young punk when I was there growing up, but i was always with a bunch of rich old folks. I grew up there, all the waiters new me, it was great. I go there whenever I'm in Charlotte.

I'm sure the tone of Napa will be the same given the area.

I'm so happy I'll never have to hear the horrible jingle :whistling: "PRAHvidence CAHfeeee NAYborhood REHsteraunt....."

But it is a long time establishment. I'm very surprised it's over. Maybe a retirement of an owner?

• 5 months later...
Probably old news, but Blynk Organic is gone from their location at Trade & Tryon.  New sign in the window says Onoki Sushi Bar coming soon.

I always thought that place was awfully bland but I'm sure some vegetarians and vegans in particular will miss it. There was a sign for a crepe place that replaced the Blynk sign in the window, is it already out of business too? Or a different space?

The crepe place was still there as of a week or two ago when I last walked by, but yeah, every day it's still there is a surprise to me.  

Back to Trade & Tryon -- I hadn't been inside for a few months it seems like, so I hadn't seen Sbarro and the smoothie place both vacant as well.

Edited by grodney