Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

Sorry for the confusion -- but I think you all got it worked out.  Blynk used to be next to McCormick and Schmick.  Then they opened a location at Trade & Tryon next to what is now Walgreens.  The original Blynk next to McCormick and Schmick is now a crepe place.  The space next to Walgreens will be the sushi place.

Vinnie's in Southend is closing. I live a few blocks away and haven't been there in years, but I remember it just being OK. Cheap beer, but no other redeeming factors. Hopefully we see a good new neighborhood joint to take its place soon.

I was there once in the late 90s and once again in maybe 2008. Yea, I think cheap beer might of been the only thing keeping that place open. I often wondered how it stayed open beyond that reason. 

Yeah, I thought Vinnie's was awful. How can you mess up a basket of fried shrimp and oysters? They managed to do it. 

That said, my number one hope for that space would be a better seafood place! Do we even HAVE a real raw bar in this city? I was very excited about that one going in on Elizabeth Street, but they got halfway done with the interior before giving up (available sign is back up in the window). 

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going on with Nix on 5th St? Are they just renovating or are they changing to another crappy bar?

Nyx went out of business a couple months ago. I would imagine something new is opening up there. 

Vinnie's in Southend is closing. I live a few blocks away and haven't been there in years, but I remember it just being OK. Cheap beer, but no other redeeming factors. Hopefully we see a good new neighborhood joint to take its place soon.

It has already changed hands! 

The group that started 5Church downtown will be opening Nan and Byron’s. 

Traditional American" is the plan right now. Torio says this means "food we grew up with" -- such as chicken pot pie, spaghetti and meatballs, barbecue meatloaf -- and prices that are "affordable"; think an entree price range with the top in the vicinity of $15. The title comes from Grant Wood's"American Gothic" and that aesthetic will also influence the decor.

I am a big fan of 5Church and have eaten there a number of times. Hopefully we will see an overhaul of the exterior as well. I suspect we will, I mean they kinda have to!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sutton House on East, formerly Picasso's, looks like its rebranding again. "Closed for remodeling" today and they were peeling the decals off the windows. I've never been even though I live right down the street, it just never sounded enticing, but a great spot for something more memorable hopefully. If this weren't Dilworth I'd say it would be fine to just settle into being a dive bar. 

Yeah I'm not proposing that a dive bar is needed (or wanted by most residents) in Dilworth, maybe with more density and diversity (read: 20's singles rather than 30's families) in a decade or so, but just that that Sutton House/Picassos building LOOKS like it would be a great dive bar. 

Edited by nonillogical

Not sure how long its been gone but I noticed today that Kalu (in Courtside) has been closed for a while. It appears that some renovation has occurred and a new sign is up (I thought it said Sole).

Its just as well...when it first opened, that place provided the most epic meal I've ever had in Charlotte, maybe anywhere. It was truly unique and seemed like it deserved its ranking as one of the top 10 new restaurants in the country. Then Chef Emperor left and whoever took it over made it into simply an asian-themed lounge/club that served a dumbed-down pan asian menu with pad thai and some sushi. Incredibly disappointing. I guess that it was just too big a space for Charlotte to support a concept as specialized (and expensive) as Kalu. We need some places willing to try what they were doing at a smaller scale. 

At any rate glad something else is going right in to replace it.