Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

Yea, Harvest Moon just closed recently... However another "farm to fork" upscale restaurant will be opening in its place: http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/12/23/ask-a-charlotte-chef-farm-to-fork-philosophy/

Harvest Moon was good, but I have to say, it had terrible branding/signage.  And for the first year it was open, its sign was a temporary vinyl banner.  It never looked like it was to be permanent for that very reason.

Loco Lime in Plaza Midwood is closing.

From Loco Lime Facebook Page:

"With heavy hearts we regret to inform you that Loco Lime is closed for business effective immediately. It's been a great run and we are so proud of the work we've put in here. It's time for us to move on and focus on other ventures. We'd like to thank our regulars. You made us. You kept us going. We'd like to thank our employees, past and present. You made us. You kept us going. We'd like to thank the surrounding neighborhoods and communities that embraced us during the past few years, Plaza Midwood and Elizabeth in particular. You made us. You kept us going. We'd like to thank the entire Charlotte restaurant scene, a vibrant, inspiring and expanding culture. We may have been a flash in the pan, but we think we contributed some excellence to that culture. This isn't fun news to share. Now, we move on. 

Thank you, everyone.

Team Loco"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Following up on the Hartigans stuff, there has been activity at that site all week.  I believe they closed on Sunday, but there have been people there all week and I don't think they're clearing out the old stuff. Looks like something new might be moving in, which would be great considering the location.

Following up on the Hartigans stuff, there has been activity at that site all week.  I believe they closed on Sunday, but there have been people there all week and I don't think they're clearing out the old stuff. Looks like something new might be moving in, which would be great considering the location.

Perhaps I am ignorant because I have never been there. But it is uptown sure, but is the location that great? Is it ever crowded? Always seems sketchy to me.

Not sketchy at all.  I know it's pretty popular on Sundays in the Fall.  I've seen it fairly busy on weekends this spring as the weather has improved.  I think it had an unfair reputation solely as a gay bar.  Given the location near J&W and Gateway in general, and the fact that it's practically beneath the stadium, I think it's an untapped spot.

Perhaps I am ignorant because I have never been there. But it is uptown sure, but is the location that great? Is it ever crowded? Always seems sketchy to me.

That part of uptown has a decent population and is a long walk to uptown  because of the railroad tracks. I think it could be relatively successful just as a neighborhood bar.

• 4 weeks later...

Miyagi's has shut down and split town.  Apparently serving over-priced, mediocre Korean/sushi was not a recipe for success.  

I kind of liked it when I went, and didn't find the korean food overpriced (didn't try the sushi). It was a very basic menu but decent asian bar food. However it wasn't memorable enough to get me to go more than once, so I guess that's the problem. NoDa DOES need an asian restaurant though, so I kind of hope someone comes in and just improves on the same concept Miyagi's tried. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/05/06/dillenger-s-taproom-closes-uptown-location.html

In what should surprise no one, Dillenger's (at 6th and church) is closing its doors. This place had no personality what-so-ever, in the same token as Prohibition, how on earth are you going to name your place something that evokes prohibition era, and have no theming at all? Not going to be sad to see this place go and maybe now they'll actually take down the Stool Pigeons sign outside.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/05/06/dillenger-s-taproom-closes-uptown-location.html

In what should surprise no one, Dillenger's (at 6th and church) is closing its doors. This place had no personality what-so-ever, in the same token as Prohibition, how on earth are you going to name your place something that evokes prohibition era, and have no theming at all? Not going to be sad to see this place go and maybe now they'll actually take down the Stool Pigeons sign outside.

That place sucked.  I'm a fan of pretty much any bar and as you said, that place was soul-less.  I'm not sad to see it go.  When I first saw the name, I was excited about what it could potentially be, until I walked inside and realized it was the exact same bar as was Stool Pigeons before it.  Maybe they should have tried creating an identity for themselves to draw in more patrons.  It always blows my mind seeing bars like that.  Bars are all about atmosphere...at the end of the day, they are all serving pretty much the same drinks.

That place sucked.  I'm a fan of pretty much any bar and as you said, that place was soul-less.  I'm not sad to see it go.  When I first saw the name, I was excited about what it could potentially be, until I walked inside and realized it was the exact same bar as was Stool Pigeons before it.  Maybe they should have tried creating an identity for themselves to draw in more patrons.  It always blows my mind seeing bars like that.  Bars are all about atmosphere...at the end of the day, they are all serving pretty much the same drinks.

Yeah I never understood the concept of "hey let's just buy it and change the name. The EXACT SAME thing didnt work in this location before, but it will now for some unexplained reason" because it NEVER does....Vanity for example (where cans & 5th element used to be) is the EXACT same place as 5th element. I expect itll last just as long. So dumb, but yeah good riddance this place, would like to see something cool done with it, it's a good space.

Villa Antonio on South Boulevard has closed. I just ordered Foodie Call from them about 2 weeks ago and the food was just as awesome as it always has been in the past (though I must admit, it's been at least 5 years since I last actually ate at the restaurant). I always thought it was in an odd spot for the type of cuisine and high-end service, honestly. Would have done much better in Dilworth/Southend/Uptown/Myer's Park. Their Ballantyne location is still open.

Just wanted to point out that something definitely IS going in at the former Hartigan's site.  There was no activity for several weeks, but now there appears to be remodeling going on. There is a banner up over the door that confirms something new is coming, but the name has yet to be decided.