Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neo

175 sq. ft. studio in NYC

10 posts in this topic

The price is amazing, $150k for a unit in the Morningside Heights area of New York (Columbia University), but there is a 'small catch.' The unit is only 175 square feet. Apparently one couple didn't mind as they purchased the unit a few months ago and share it with a couple of cats. The price per square foot is astronomical, but to live so close to amenities like Central Park and a transit stop for only $150k?

Here is the article in the New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cozy_crazy_couple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP

Could you live in such a small apartment, taking into consideration the location? I'm pretty sure I could do it as long as it was just me, but I'm not so sure I could do it with two people and two cats.

To read the description, "living" is a bit of a misnomer here. They sleep there. They don't eat or cook there, they don't apparently spend much leisure time there (note - no couch or chair), they don't even store their clothes there. I think "living" is a bit of a stretch.

I can put this in a different perspective, though. 175 sq. ft. is about 17.5x10. That's the size of a small camper. While I myself would not be able to survive that long in such a small space, I would imagine, in fact I know, there are people who could and can. Just takes an awful lot of planning and thought.

However, I wonder if this is such a great thing. I think if we all started living in such small conditions, we might be creating both a health risk, as well as what I think might be a little too high a density for the planet to handle.

Good points, though I can speak from experience that it is certainly possible to live comfortably in small spaces. While I haven't lived in 175 sq. ft. I have lived with two other people in a 650 sq. ft. space. I honestly spent a great deal of time in the city and while I did cook and have clothes in my small apartment, the city was where I 'lived.' I suppose folks give up a great deal just to be in the middle of a place they love.

It will be interesting to see what happens with apartment/condo spaces as the world's population increases over the next few decades. I have a hunch we'll begin to see a lot more 175 sq. ft. apartments...and with that perhaps some an increase psychological issues as well. :silly:

I lived in a 2br that was was about 250 sq ft in college. It had a full kitchen (with mini-appliances). The bedrooms were tiny. The only thing that made it bearable was the location, my roommate was cool, and that I knew I would be leaving eventually. I would not want to live in anything smaller, and definitely not pay that much for it.

My apartment in downtown Seattle was 220 sq ft, all I need was a place to rest & shower. Cheap too, 700 per month, stayed there for a year, eventually moved to another closer to the waterfront, 775sq, way too much space.

Dam! Here in Grand Rapids, one of the cheapest mid-sized cities in the United States to live in, you can get a 1,494 square foot condo in the tallest building in the city for $159,000.

Dam! Here in Grand Rapids, one of the cheapest mid-sized cities in the United States to live in, you can get a 1,494 square foot condo in the tallest building in the city for $159,000.

To clarify, $159k will not get you a unit on the top floor of the tallest building. We're not that cheap in Western Lower Michigan.

Like a couple others here, I've been in some small places in college and they were doable, but not as small as 175sqft for two people. For three years I was in a 1000sqft unit with three roommates, which worked out to each person having use of 600sqft of space (500 of which was shared). It basically had 4 10x10 bedrooms, two unusually roomy (maybe 5'6x11') bathrooms and the rest went to a living room and kitchen. I think something that worked fairly well for how we used it. If anything it could have had a slightly larger living area (or different furniture) because it never seemed to quite fit four people comfortably at the same time.

But for one year I lived in a 400sqft one bedroom shared with another roommate. Because of our schedules and vastly different study needs we chose to make the living room into a second bedroom. That meant each person had use of roughly 250sqft of space. That was okay, but I would have liked it better if the "bedrooms" had been smaller to leave space for a slightly larger common area. From that experience, I say the smallest I space in which I would be able to live and meet my needs is about 300sqft. That's large enough to feel that I'm not stuck in a box yet small enough to encourage me to get out of my unit often.

My best friend lived in a 255 sq. ft. studio in Boston for a couple of years. The place also only had a ceiling six and a half feet high, which made the place feel really small. I wouldn't have wanted to have done much more there besides sleep and crash, it felt cramped. I don't have the personality for something like that, I'm more of a homebody and need some space - even if I'm not always occupying it.

My job moved me to a new city. I bought a house that was under construction. I stayed in one of the pay by the week motels. It was small but I do not know the dimensions. It had a bed, a closet, a chair w/ a small table, a mini fridge, a microwave and bathroom. But I thought I can do this for 60 days. The time the builder promised the house would be done. Well 2 1/2 months past the 60 days it was finally done. I moved in and was totally overwhelmed with the space. It was 2400 sq ft. I was so used to my little room, I felt everything was so far away and empty. I finally got over that and now have more crap than I can stand. Could I live in 175 sq ft? Maybe! But probably not. But a 500 or 600 sq ft place, yes.

Isn't there supposed to be some sort of housing crisis going on? Why aren't all these places cheap to live?