Another Rockslide in western North Carolina (Caldwell County)

Jerseyman4

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/6570571/

Seriously, the DOT actually allowed traffic both bounds to use a single lane secondary road that is half gravel/dirt and half asphalt. Yes, there were VMS messages saying "Rockslide until Friday. Use Alternate Route" but i was thinking it would be just a dead end and i would have to turn around. The DOT had a great idea. Here was the sudden-of-the-moment detour:

3424343.jpg

From Charlotte, most people use I-77 to US 421 and from the Triad and points east, everyone uses US 421 to Boone. The people from Hickory and Lenoir are at the biggest disadvantage with this rockslide. People from Asheville and even as far east as Morganton have alternate routes to the High Country such as US 221 and NC 181. I can see the ski resorts seeing some business lost but not much. What do you all think about this rockslide?

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived