New Counties in Charlotte's MSA

cltbwimob

American Community Survey data on county to county worker flows has just recently been released. Based on my research, I expect Rowan, Lancaster, Lincoln, and Iredell counties to be added to the MSA when the new deliniations are released next month. Rowan, Lancaster, and Lincoln because they now meet the 25% commuting threshold, and Iredell because over half it's population is in the Charlotte Urbanized Area and, as a result, should be added as a central county.

If those 4 counties are added, Charlotte's MSA population will be approximately 2.3 million.

That would be stellar, that would make us jump from the mid 30s to the lower 20s in population ranking.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be fantastic.  Including those counties I have a population of 2.28-2.29 million for 2012.  That would put us barely trailing what Portland would probably report, and a year or so from overtaking Pittsburgh.  After that, all cities have populations of 2.6MM or more and are major.  In fact, besides Portland and Riverside (Inland Empire, CA), every larger city has Major League Baseball.

I think this does a lot in terms of national recognition on a bunch of subtle measures, but companies looking at where to invest often limit their geographic parameters to "Top 25" metros.  Charlotte would be 24th. 

This would be fantastic.  Including those counties I have a population of 2.28-2.29 million for 2012.  That would put us barely trailing what Portland would probably report, and a year or so from overtaking Pittsburgh.  After that, all cities have populations of 2.6MM or more and are major.  In fact, besides Portland and Riverside (Inland Empire, CA), every larger city has Major League Baseball.

I think this does a lot in terms of national recognition on a bunch of subtle measures, but companies looking at where to invest often limit their geographic parameters to "Top 25" metros.  Charlotte would be 24th. 

Cue cltbwimob to restart the "Can Charlotte support MLB debate" again! :)

Cue cltbwimob to restart the "Can Charlotte support MLB debate" again! :)

I've already made that argument based on population of the Combined Statistical Area which is still a larger catchment area even if those counties are added. While I still believe Charlotte has the ability to support a team I don't think we have to worry about MLB any time soon given the current legislature's stance on the importance of professional sports. With the backward thinking politicians in NC, we will be lucky to keep the Panthers long term, and I don't really think there is going to be any team from any top tier sports league looking to relocate to NC as long as said politicians are in power.

Tangential note aside, the ACS survey also showed that over 37000 people commute from Union to Mecklenburg, more than Cabarrus or York which both send approximately 29000 people into Mecklenburg daily. Yet more proof that the Southeast corridor deserves a light rail line, not a streetcar line, and neither of which are likely to happen given that the North Carolina government is a product of the John Locke Foundation regime

This would be fantastic.  Including those counties I have a population of 2.28-2.29 million for 2012.  That would put us barely trailing what Portland would probably report, and a year or so from overtaking Pittsburgh.  After that, all cities have populations of 2.6MM or more and are major.

If all that comes to pass next month it will be very exciting indeed and good for us to continue attracting businesses and more population.

With the possibility of adding Lancaster in SC and Iredell, Rowan, and Lincoln counties I'm wondering what will that do for the GDP estimates? If Charlotte is getting closer to Portland's population I wonder if it will be closer to the $143.720 billion of Portland's GDP. Currently at the 6 county definition Charlotte is at $117.832 billion. Both figures are from 2011 in current dollars.

The new MSA/CSA configurations have been released. Charlotte's MSA now consists of Cabarrus County, NC; Gaston County, NC; Iredell County, NC; Lincoln County, NC; Mecklenburg County, NC; Rowan County, NC; Union County, NC; Chester County, SC; Lancaster County, SC; York County, SC. (Source, p. 27).

As has been stated above, Iredell, Lincoln, Rowan, and Lancaster have been added, in addition to Chester County. However, Anson County was excluded. According to 2011 estimates, this gives the Charlotte MSA a population of 2,257,840.

The new MSA/CSA configurations have been released. Charlotte's MSA now consists of Cabarrus County, NC; Gaston County, NC; Iredell County, NC; Lincoln County, NC; Mecklenburg County, NC; Rowan County, NC; Union County, NC; Chester County, SC; Lancaster County, SC; York County, SC. (Source, p. 27).

As has been stated above, Iredell, Lincoln, Rowan, and Lancaster have been added, in addition to Chester County. However, Anson County was excluded. According to 2011 estimates, this gives the Charlotte MSA a population of 2,257,840.

It looked like the Shelby Micropolitan SA was added to the Charlotte CSA? I say that because I do not remember hearing that it was included before although I admit I'm mostly ignorant on this topic. Does anyone know what the new Charlotte CSA numbers would be?

It looked like the Shelby Micropolitan SA was added to the Charlotte CSA? I say that because I do not remember hearing that it was included before although I admit I'm mostly ignorant on this topic. Does anyone know what the new Charlotte CSA numbers would be?

Yeah, the Shelby and Albemarle micropolitan areas are in the CSA, which is now at 2,415,955.

I never would have guessed Chester County would be added and Anson taken away. It helped the MSA numbers, but Anson is no longer part of the MSA or CSA.

Charlotte is now the 25th largest MSA, larger than Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Austin, San Antonio, and Sacramento. We are just behind Portland and Pittsburgh, and according to census numbers are approximately 300k behind Denver.

That feels about right....and I say "feels" based on visiting most of those cities, and trying to gauge how "big" Charlotte feels.  It certainly "feels" a lot bigger than Austin and a little bigger than Cleveland and about the same as Portland, FWIW.

Also, I'm staying and working in downtown Denver this week, and Denver certainly feels bigger than Charlotte, though my wife disagrees (she's travelling with), and thinks Charlotte feels bigger.

With these changes though, Charlotte should pass Portland and Pittsburg within the next 1-2 years, but probably won't be catching any other metro for a long time.

Still, as 23rd largest metro, and the definitive hub of the Carolinas, I have to think that this drives a lot more companies to establish regional offices here.  I mean Atlanta is still twice the size of Charlotte, but it is really only core to a 10MM person state.  Charlotte is core to North and South Carolina, and South Carolina is rapidly growing as well, especially Charleston.

Charlotte is core to North and South Carolina, and South Carolina is rapidly growing as well, especially Charleston.

While this statement isn't entirely false, most people in South Carolina don't feel that way about Charlotte. As much as I hate to say it, I think we Charlotteans are a little conceited about our place in the Carolinas.

I completely agree that we are conceited, though I am more speaking for people outside the region thinking 1) If I want to cover a large population 2) Want to be centrally located 3) Be located in a large metro, then Charlotte ticks the boxes.

Also, talking to anyone from the Northeast, they call it "The Carolinas", and don't distringuing (or possibly honestly don't know what state Charlotte, or Charleston, or Raleigh is in), which are really the only 3 cities they are aware that exist.

At the risk of offending people living in North or South Carolina outside the Charlotte metro, I say Charlotte embrace the "The Hub" (sorry Boston) moniker. 

I never would have guessed Chester County would be added and Anson taken away. It helped the MSA numbers, but Anson is no longer part of the MSA or CSA.

Charlotte is now the 25th largest MSA, larger than Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Austin, San Antonio, and Sacramento. We are just behind Portland and Pittsburgh, and according to census numbers are approximately 300k behind Denver.

Is that according to those cities' reconfigured metros as well?

With Anson's horrific economy, I don't see how less people are commuting to Union and Mecklenburg now than were doing so a decade ago. That makes no sense. 

I agree, it is confusing. I think it will be added into the definition again if the Monroe Bypass gets built.

Is that according to those cities' reconfigured metros as well?

That is based on the new MSA definitions with 2010 census numbers.

For the life of me I really never understood why Anson county was part of the Charlotte MSA. When I take 74 out towards the Wilmington or the beach and drive through Anson county (which is a rather depressed area) I wonder "how can a place this far away be a part of our MSA?"

For the life of me I really never understood why Anson county was part of the Charlotte MSA. When I take 74 out towards the Wilmington or the beach and drive through Anson county (which is a rather depressed area) I wonder "how can a place this far away be a part of our MSA?"

Two counties out is hardly "far away" within an MSA.

Archived