New Counties in Charlotte's MSA

cltbwimob

I'm from Anson County (Ansonville). I have family that commutes from north/west Anson to Charlotte and Union County via NC 218. I make the drive from Asheville every couple weeks. I can drive from my parents' home near Ansonville/Polkton to I-485 via 218 in less than 30 minutes (if I don't get stuck behind a tractor). It's not that far. As mentioned previously, the economy is pretty tough out there. being removed from the MSA doesn't help the situation either. I find it ironic that Mecklenburg County was originally formed from Anson County in 1762 and now they're not even in the same metro.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That feels about right....and I say "feels" based on visiting most of those cities, and trying to gauge how "big" Charlotte feels.  It certainly "feels" a lot bigger than Austin and a little bigger than Cleveland and about the same as Portland, FWIW.

Also, I'm staying and working in downtown Denver this week, and Denver certainly feels bigger than Charlotte, though my wife disagrees (she's travelling with), and thinks Charlotte feels bigger.

With these changes though, Charlotte should pass Portland and Pittsburg within the next 1-2 years, but probably won't be catching any other metro for a long time.

Still, as 23rd largest metro, and the definitive hub of the Carolinas, I have to think that this drives a lot more companies to establish regional offices here.  I mean Atlanta is still twice the size of Charlotte, but it is really only core to a 10MM person state.  Charlotte is core to North and South Carolina, and South Carolina is rapidly growing as well, especially Charleston.

Charlotte has come a long ways but Denver certainly feels larger and definitely more urban.   The 16th street mall is good gauge of Denvers urbanity with retail, etc.  I do think the next of wave of downtown development, coupled with what's happening in southend kicks Charlotte up a notch.

That's what I was asking. Cltbwimob indicated that they were, if I understood him correctly.

You did understand correctly.

http://proximityone.com/metros2013.htm

This website has a table that lists all metro areas using the new deliniations and shows how they compare to each other based on the 2010 census numbers. One interesting thing to note is the difference between Charlotte and Portland as of 2010 was approximately 9k people. The 2011 estimates have that difference at just over 4k people, meaning that the 2012 or 2013 estimates should put us ahead of Portland

I completely agree that we are conceited, though I am more speaking for people outside the region thinking 1) If I want to cover a large population 2) Want to be centrally located 3) Be located in a large metro, then Charlotte ticks the boxes.

Also, talking to anyone from the Northeast, they call it "The Carolinas", and don't distringuing (or possibly honestly don't know what state Charlotte, or Charleston, or Raleigh is in), which are really the only 3 cities they are aware that exist.

At the risk of offending people living in North or South Carolina outside the Charlotte metro, I say Charlotte embrace the "The Hub" (sorry Boston) moniker. 

To your first point, I have to agree primarily because those are the reasons I moved here.

While this is off topic, its interesting to me that people outside of this region are only aware of Charleston (within South Carolina). I understand why, but from an economic standpoint it's around the 3rd largest GMP in South Carolina if you combine the Upstate metros as one economic entity).

Anyway, my point was that people outside of Charlotte, at least within South Carolina, don't think about us on a day-to-day basis. I would also argue, though, that the perception of Charlotte from South Carolina is probably changing. The larger Charlotte gets, the more it can offer things like Atlanta in a more convenient and less congested form, the more South Carolinians will be drawn here.

I am interested to know how the good people in Raleigh and the Triad perceive their relationship with Charlotte.

:offtopic:  On that note - Growing up in NYC I had always heard of Charleston - can't say the same about any other city in North or South Carolina.  

While this is off topic, its interesting to me that people outside of this region are only aware of Charleston (within South Carolina). I understand why, but from an economic standpoint it's around the 3rd largest GMP in South Carolina if you combine the Upstate metros as one economic entity).

I am interested to know how the good people in Raleigh and the Triad perceive their relationship with Charlotte.

I grew up in the Raleigh area, and people back home are pretty enthusiastic and knowledgable about Charlotte when I tell them that's where I live. I see a lot of people my age taking weekend trips here now. 

When I was younger however I can hardly remember any mention of it, and I only visited here for a handful of sports tournaments/races I was involved in. In school it was kind of an enigma, you learned about the coastal and mountain towns, what the Triangle and the Triad were, and oh yeah there's Charlotte too way down there. It seemed far away and we certainly felt like we were more important in Raleigh regardless of population. Even in college Charlotte was nowhere on my radar and it wasn't until I had a job opportunity here that I learned anything about it. 

Even in Richmond and DC, Charlotte is gaining traction as a regional power. As it grows, Charlotte is casting a longer regional shadow on its neighbors up 85 and 95. You will know CLT has really arrived when Charlotte is advertised on I-95 signs in the Richmond Metro, although it has stiff competition with a much closer RDU for signage.

To your first point, I have to agree primarily because those are the reasons I moved here.

Anyway, my point was that people outside of Charlotte, at least within South Carolina, don't think about us on a day-to-day basis. I would also argue, though, that the perception of Charlotte from South Carolina is probably changing. The larger Charlotte gets, the more it can offer things like Atlanta in a more convenient and less congested form, the more South Carolinians will be drawn here.

Really? What about Myrtle Beach?

Yankees from all over know of MB and any number of other small beach towns in NC and SC both, met far too many as a teenager that always vacationed in the same places.   :)

Back in my teenage days (let's just say the 1990s when I lived in VA) of going to to Myrtle Beach, we mostly ran into people from Ohio and Pennsylvania. I lived in New Jersey prior to that, but we always went to the Jersey shore. Thankfully I never saw a Snooki or Situation there. Probably would have beat the crap out of them.

Sorry ah, I meant DAMN Yankees.  And carpet?  I could use some carpet, got carpet?

This thread has morphed into the CLT Perceptions thread, oh well, when I "summer lived" in New Jersey as a kid the kids up there thought NC was a giant farm (literally), of course not many kids know their geography.

--Edit, since there are several comments now on the term "Yankee" I'll point out that it was said tongue in cheek.  Whatever tongue in cheek means, sounds unnatural.

Sorry ah, I meant DAMN Yankees.  And carpet?  I could use some carpet, got carpet?

This thread has morphed into the CLT Perceptions thread, oh well, when I "summer lived" in New Jersey as a kid the kids up there thought NC was a giant farm (literally), of course not many kids know their geography.

I live in Brooklyn and until a couple years ago most people assumed I lived on a farm. That perception has changed over the past couple years. People have respect for Charlotte up here now.

--Edit, since there are several comments now on the term "Yankee" I'll point out that it was said tongue in cheek.  Whatever tongue in cheek means, sounds unnatural.

I'm perfectly fine with DAMN Yankees.

Yeah I know what you mean. I live here in Greenville back in the 90's as a teen, but I moved from SC to Baltimore with relatives. Where when I got there most people often ask, "did you live in the city or the country part"? Well even back then most areas around Greenville were a bit urban. I've since move back and most of them now better by now and alot are moving or are thinking about moving south. Like someone mentioned above showed how people in Raliegh viewed Charlotte as just a name of someplace. But to their defense. When I was a child in school there in Charlotte, I never heard much about Raliegh.But like I said. I know what you mean.

Come to think of it, some of our neighbors to the south in Columbia and Charleston had or still have no idea how big the the Greenville/Spartanburg

metro really is. But that is changing with the governer coming up, almost weekly for some kind of announcement. And national comments in various blogs and mags.

Do people still use Yankees literally?  What is this; 1874?  Am I a carpetbagger?  Are there any horse socks?  Is anyone listening to me?

Of course they still use Yankee. Sometimes its affectionately and sometimes...it's not. I still hear it pretty regularly and say it occasionally.

Archived