New CATS CEO

Neo

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned and I'm amazed that it hasn't, but CATS will crown their new CEO next month. CATS chose Carolyn Flowers which is coming from a COO position at the Los Angeles County MTA.

What do we know about her and do you think she is a good fit for not only CATS but for Mecklenburg County's (and even integration with surrounding counties) vision of mass transit expansion. Should we expect any drastic changes or should we expect things to go as already planned?

Is there a chance we will see advertising in the CATS system to help offset the decrease in sales tax? I would expect this to be something that would be looked at, particularly since Los Angeles uses advertising quite heavily if I understand correctly.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The advertising is a good question. I never really understood why CATS never used advertisements. I actually like the look of ads on mass transit, as I think they make it look more "urban" and less "Disney World", plus it brings in much needed extra revenue.

As for her, I don't really know much about her. It might be good to have someone new, who may bring new ideas to the table and who also has experience running a much larger transit system. I believe L.A. has completed several extensions of their light rail somewhat recently.

Whole bus ads? Last weekend I saw whole train car ads on MARTA. May not be new but it was new to me. "Wow, the taggers really got that car... oh, wait..."

That is pretty common in Chicago at least. Whole train cars being painted as a huge Target ad for example.

I don't know bupkis about Carolyn Flowers but just judging from her background I think it's great that she is coming from a first tier urban background. She has the knowledge and skills to plan CATS future growth.

The lack of advertising on buses is a wasted opportunity IMHO. There is a generally laissez - faire attitude toward aesthetics in development in this town. Much of Charlotte is ugly sprawl. But when it comes to mobile transportation it's like we are living in a museum.

^ Building on that, out-of-control advertising can really "cheapen" the image of the buses. Obviously that's a battle CATS is already waging, so covering up with ads will only hurt their cause even more. Would you rather board a sleek new bus like the Sprinter or an older bus covered with ads for bubble gum and nicotine patches?

• 3 weeks later...

The only way that could be pulled off is if someone who actually runs a blog were to do it themselves. CLTblog would be a good fit for that. The blogs I see for other cities (like Portland or NYC) that are successful and make an impact are all from regular people with video cameras, not a government or corporate entity with scripts. What the LA Metro is doing still seems a little contrived, but its a good effort. Their advertising campaign was particularly good, and with infamous LA traffic, its an easy pitch to make.

Archived