Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCMike1981

Downtown Fuquay Varina Hudson Belk Closing

6 posts in this topic

Downtown Fuquay Varina Belk Closing (with video)

So it appears as if one of the last downtown department stores in the area will be closing its doors shortly, the downtown Fuquay Varina store. I believe this store was the last full line downtown department store in the Triangle, and I believe it may have been one of the last downtown Belk stores left (not obtained via acquisition). It's the end of an era, check it out while you still can.

I can't believe it lasted as long as it did. Belk closed stores like this on a regular basis during the 1970s and '80s.

There may be some downtown Belk stores tucked away in the western half of the state, but this was the only one in central North Carolina that was still in business.

Downtown Fuquay Varina Belk Closing (with video)

So it appears as if one of the last downtown department stores in the area will be closing its doors shortly, the downtown Fuquay Varina store. I believe this store was the last full line downtown department store in the Triangle, and I believe it may have been one of the last downtown Belk stores left (not obtained via acquisition). It's the end of an era, check it out while you still can.

That's sad- there are no downtown Belk stores left that I know of now, except this one.

Standard line about "oh, losing a big anchor is an opportunity"...right.

Retail should have been developed around that Belk's- it seems to be all alone, and critical mass is key in retail.

Unfortunately this is something I've felt for a while as being a long time coming, but what really suprises me is not only is Belk closing their longtime downtown store they are leaving town altogether. I always assumed their plan was to hop over to one of the shopping centers off 401 eventually with all the stuff going up over there, but it appears as if they are closing the store with no replacement. Maybe it's really just a victim of the recession...I wonder how it held on for so long, maybe they owned the building or rent was really cheap? Or maybe since the store was so small it didnt take as much to turn a profit?

I think Belk is making a mistake by leaving town altogether. Fuquay Varina isn't a huge growth market, but it can support a small scale department store.