Myrtle Beach Mall

perrykat

I am trying to do some research on this mall....it seems fairly decent, not as nice as Coastal Grand, but there isn't much history on it anywhere. It was Myrtle Beach's second mall, and has also been known as Briarcliffe Mall and Colonial. Aside from that and the fact that it opened in 1986, there is really nothing to be found on its earlier years. I haven't been there in a while, but when I did I sort of enjoyed my visit there. The mall is anchored by Bass Pro Shops, and has two Belk stores, and a JC Penney, as well as a movie theatre I believe. It probably didn't have two Belks or a BPS upon opening....what were the original anchors? If anyone could provide some insight on its earlier years...I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes....I know it was Colonial Mall Myrtle Beach until several years ago, and according to Wikipedia it opened as Briarcliff Mall. Maybe they thought giving it its current name would get more publicity, but asides from BPS, it seems more like just a regional mall for local residents than tourists. Tourists are more likely to go to Coastal Grand, I would think.

I don't know. Bass Pro tends to draw in a lot of people. Plus that mall is more central to the Grand Strand area (and closer to North Myrtle). But then I'm not a regular, so maybe my perception is wrong.

Sorry I don't know more about that particular mall. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

I did some digging on a mall website and found that the Bass Pro Shops was a Kmart but it was demolished to make way for the BPS. The second Belk (men's store) seems to be a mystery. I highly doubt it was built that way with two Belk stores....why not just build a larger store? It is notable, and I have noticed myself, that the exterior entrances for both stores are identical and look rather old, so they've had that arrangement for a while.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do remember when I lived in Wilmington from '99-'02 I drove by the mall a few times and noticed the Kmart, then I went by a few yrs later and suddenly it was Bass Pro Shops. I remember thinking the mall was bigger then Myrtle Square Mall but lacked the personality (and the mega clock). It was called Briarcliff back when I lived somewhat in the area.

Anchorwise I really don't know. I know around 2000ish Myrtle Square had Belk, Sears and Peebles, and Briarcliff had Belk, JCPenney and Kmart. I honestly dont remember noticing the 2nd Belk but I really wasn't paying all that much attention. Are both Belks decent sized or is one small like maybe it was a former jr dept store at some point, for ex. Goodys sized? I'm thinking maybe one of the Belks used to be one of those local dept stores that were around when the mall opened in the '80's but was bought out or went under at some point. Any small to mid sized SC Dept stores that may have gone under in the '80's or '90's come to mind? I can't imagine it being an Ivey's in '86 and not being transitioned over to Dillards when the chain was bought out about '90. The mall was too new at the time, the bigger of the 2 malls in town, and Dillards wasn't located in Myrtle Beach at the time so I'm sure it would have kept the store.....haha this is gonna bug me now

I don't think that was an Ivey's. It would have become a Dillard's (as previously mentioned), plus the space is awfully small to have been one. It's smaller than the original Belk and Penney's. Would not have been Upton's and definitely not J.B. White, both which were big in SC in the early-mid 90s. If it had been something prominent like those, I think someone would know.

The exterior designs on these two stores look awfully late 80s, so it happened shortly after the mall opened probably. The stores are so identical. However, from arial view the back store doesn't have as much detail(aren't I a geek?) and is in a octogon-shape, so perhaps they just tried to copy the original Belk store. Whoever did it deserves an award. I am betting this was originally a Rose's or Goody's, or perhaps another small department store or discount store...would've fit with the mall's other anchors. This must have happened right after the mall opened. Everyone I've asked around there talks like there have always been two Belk stores.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

If I remember correctly, the Piggly Wiggly should still be standing. I don't drive down that way much, but last time I looked it was still there,

From what I understand, it is called Myrtle Beach Mall as a way to make it more marketable to tourists. However, it apparently isn't working for most of the mall. Personally, I think that the Myrtle Beach Mall sign looks very tacky and gives the impression that it is a glorified strip mall. In my opinion, it is the worst thing that they ever could have done. When it was Briarcliffe Mall or Colonial Mall, business seemed to be very good, but now it seems that this mall's days are numbered unless they do something quick.

In regard to Bass Pro, yes it used to be a Kmart before they tore it down to build Bass Pro. It is the best thing that ever happened to the mall.

Archived