Cherrydale & Travelers Rest

penney

With all the people moving to this part of the county, we still have to tavel to Woodroff is have decent shopping...any plans to revitalize Cherrydale with stores like Fresh Market, Bed Bath & Beyond and maybe Joann's? TR is uplifting their face...what about all the bldg. that still stand empty. Ho-ray for Williams Hardware!

Edited by penney

• 1 month later...

Wow guys. We did the greenway trail this morning and I hadn't been in the Traveler's Rest area in a few months. The redo looks fantastic! The work is still in progress....landscaping being finished, but overall, it is looking great.

While walking down the street, along with two different cycling teams passing us, a vintage BMW driving club came motoring down the street several cars long. Lots of people using the greenway even with the current cold temps.

Went in Williams Hardware and if you haven't been, you HAVE to go. Like a mini, upscale version of Mast. Great merchandise and they also have a cafe....open for lunch every day and dinner on weekends. Great food, wine tastings on certain nights, cool place.

I also noticed for the first time how the greenway trail runs immediately behind so many commercial buildings....watch for some future restaurants with decks on the back....simply step of the greenway and have lunch or a drink.

With the demographics of Furman, Paris Mountain and Mountain Park / Cliffs, watch this area boom.

Oh, also, the last leg of the greenway between downtown and TR is suppose to open this spring with a big kickoff run.

The photos below don't do it justice....check it out in person.

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9338.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_9343.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9373.jpg

IMG_9375.jpg

IMG_9383.jpg

IMG_9384.jpg

IMG_9386.jpg

Sadly, I wish Simpsonville had done half as well with their redo, as TR. Simpsonville's looks done on the cheap and is lacking detail. TR obviously took detail clues from downtown Greenville....details I noticed...the TR logo on the banners is also cut into all metal plaques and will also be on the entrances to the area. Good branding. Plantings are still not complete, but they are planting HUGE amounts of trees and shrubs....give it a couple of years and this will be one green, shaded street. The thing that looked best, they repaved every inch of the main street with nice fresh blacktop and painted fresh lines....this is where Simpsonville made a mistake, as they tried to paint lines over the old lines without repaving. Looks cheap. Simpsonville should check out TR and take some notes.

Additionally, all stoplights are on arms / poles. Really looking nice.

Edited by gsupstate

I agree. DT TR is doing an excellent job and it has really helped bring up the appearance and funtionality of the DT streets. It should only be a matter of time before the empty biuldings become occupied.

BTW, since Cherrydale is mentioned in the title, does anyone know what will be going in the building diagonal from the Home Depot, just down from Cherrydale? The buildings are almost complete, and more land has been cleared on both sides of the road as well.

I agree. DT TR is doing an excellent job and it has really helped bring up the appearance and funtionality of the DT streets. It should only be a matter of time before the empty biuldings become occupied.

BTW, since Cherrydale is mentioned in the title, does anyone know what will be going in the building diagonal from the Home Depot, just down from Cherrydale? The buildings are almost complete, and more land has been cleared on both sides of the road as well.

Sakura Japanese Steakhouse, Mojo's Famous Hamburgers, Brioso's Fresh Pasta, Compadres Mex Mex Grill, and other tenants that have not been announced yet are slated for the project across from Home Depot.

Did TR bury power lines in their downtown area?

Most of the powerlines parallel with the main road seemed to be buried already or being buried. There are a few that cross the road. In addition, many of the wires that the stopslights are currently on will go away....the poles and arms are up for the stoplights, but they haven't been transfered over yet.

Sakura Japanese Steakhouse, Mojo's Famous Hamburgers, Brioso's Fresh Pasta, Compadres Mex Mex Grill, and other tenants that have not been announced yet are slated for the project across from Home Depot.

Not sure if Liquid Highway is going here or not. I had originally heard that instead of opening in the relocated brick house building they would wait and go inside this place but I haven't heard anymore since then. I'll see what I can find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! We have somewhere to go eat (when we don't have time to go downtown) other than Ruby Tuesdays or Olive Garden. There are a few other small restaurants around Cherrydale, but my husband and I have said several times that they really needed some variety. I've heard wonderful things about Brioso's Fresh Pasta and am looking forward to it opening. I saw this week that there is also a DryClean USA there. I do hope Liquid Highway follows through with the plan for an inside coffee shop. That is something else the Cherrydale area is missing, unless you want to go to Atlanta Bread Company (just not quite the same).

Wow guys. We did the greenway trail this morning and I hadn't been in the Traveler's Rest area in a few months. The redo looks fantastic! The work is still in progress....landscaping being finished, but overall, it is looking great.

While walking down the street, along with two different cycling teams passing us, a vintage BMW driving club came motoring down the street several cars long. Lots of people using the greenway even with the current cold temps.

Went in Williams Hardware and if you haven't been, you HAVE to go. Like a mini, upscale version of Mast. Great merchandise and they also have a cafe....open for lunch every day and dinner on weekends. Great food, wine tastings on certain nights, cool place.

I also noticed for the first time how the greenway trail runs immediately behind so many commercial buildings....watch for some future restaurants with decks on the back....simply step of the greenway and have lunch or a drink.

With the demographics of Furman, Paris Mountain and Mountain Park / Cliffs, watch this area boom.

Oh, also, the last leg of the greenway between downtown and TR is suppose to open this spring with a big kickoff run.

The photos below don't do it justice....check it out in person.

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9338.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_9343.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9373.jpg

IMG_9375.jpg

IMG_9383.jpg

IMG_9384.jpg

IMG_9386.jpg

This is most impressive, indeed! The people that bought our house got one hell of a deal, whether they realize it or not, with respect to the intangibles. T.R. is going to be a very cool place to live very soon, between the downtown improvements and the huge new park and civic complex planned for the old T.R.H.S. site. Catalysts for a mini boom, they are.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

El Pollo Campero already went belly up, the franchisee must have lost a ton of money on that place, it's a really attractive store. We ate there a few times and it just wasn't that good. I had heard/read that they were going to put a 2nd store next to BK in front of Target on Wade Hampton, the building's almost done, but I assume that it's no longer gonna house Campero.

El Pollo Campero already went belly up, the franchisee must have lost a ton of money on that place, it's a really attractive store. We ate there a few times and it just wasn't that good. I had heard/read that they were going to put a 2nd store next to BK in front of Target on Wade Hampton, the building's almost done, but I assume that it's no longer gonna house Campero.

Is El Pollo Campero the chain you once mentioned being viewed as not-so-great in Southern California?

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a new sign on the old auction house building in TR (just north of the high school) for Appalachian Organics (nice sign, huge building). They list a website for www.AppOrganics.com, which is still under construction.

Anyone know details?

post-6298-127436577297_thumb.jpg

Saw a new sign on the old auction house building in TR (just north of the high school) for Appalachian Organics (nice sign, huge building). They list a website for www.AppOrganics.com, which is still under construction.

Anyone know details?

I was curious about that company myself. Just last evening I spotted a vehicle in downtown Greenville with an Appalachian Organics sign on it and I was going to look it up.

• 2 months later...

The Shops at 27 S. Main Street in Travelers Rest have been revitalized and are open today, August 2. Leopard Forest Cafe is moving in August to the address (closer access to the Swamp Rabbit Trail). Call Brady, Computer Services (CallBrady.com) has moved to the new address, along with Keller Williams agent Sandra Stroud, AWS Apparel and Promotions, a hair stylist, and an ecclectic mix of home decor and accessories.

The shops are open Monday-Saturday 10-6.