why is Tiger Woods personal problems the headlines of every major news network?

cityboi

Ok I think we all know that its morally wrong to cheat on your spouse. But why is America and the media making such a big deal out of this when this happens all the time with famous sports figures and celebrities? one of his major sponsors have already dropped him. Its like a witch hunt. I think for years people have been waiting to take him down. Of course Tiger woods has to accept blame because he should have known the consequences of his actions but still the media is making such a big deal out of this you would think that he raped someone. I think there are more important things the media should be focusing on.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I don't believe there is anything wrong with the 'burning at the stake' of the issue of infidelity. As a victim of being cheated on (which ended in a quick divorce at my call), I believe the issue should definitely be pursued by the media. I don't blame sponsors dropping him. Who wants to support someone who has disregard for something like marriage? If Tiger Woods doesn't want to be a husband to his wife, then file for divorce and do it the correct way.

Yes, Tiger Woods is being made an example, but quite honestly someone has to be. No one is perfect, but he's portrayed as being so...so it is no surprise that he's the one being made an example of over this particular issue.

Plain and simple... Tiger is the greatest golfer of this generation and was portrayed as a family guy and role model for everyone to look up to. He had a good relationship (especially in the public) with his father. When his father passed away, it was a tragedy. But he was able to overcome it and continue to win golf's major championships. His Tiger Woods foundation does great things for thousands of kids every year. He married a Swedish model and has two kids. You never saw him get negative press for anything other than a few curse words on the golf course. He was able to overcome a broken leg to win the US Open. He was viewed by everyone as everything that successful athletes were not: honest, loyal and without faults. That turned out to be a complete mirage. Thus the media's fascination with him now... Sadly, the media b/c of who they are will not let it go and will continue to find his next mistress. Though, he has no one to blame but himself as he made the mistakes. What will be interesting is how he comes back (if he does) from all of this. If he does, there will be another media storm b/c we all love a come back...

see guy debord and his critical theory: the society of the spectacle. ultimately, coverage of sex scandals are used grab the attention of lots of eyeballs during the program segments in between the commercials.

the short answer to the thread topic's question: because it works

cheating is a very bad thing and it does hurt the people who were cheated on. But unfortunately no matter how many people we make an example of, people will always cheat and nothing will ever change that. It may have some affect on how very famous people behave but not really on the general public. I do think it was a witch hunt though because Tiger has such a squeaky clean image. He is the greatest in golf and there are those who want to bring him down.

I do find it interesting that allegations against Kobe Bryant did little in tarnishing his image.

• 1 month later...

A short list of famous people who succeeded in life, despite severe flaws in character:

Teddy Kennedy. perhaps one of America's greatest Senators of all time. Everyone knows for decades he was a rip-roaring alcoholic and womanizer.

Edith Piaf. one of the world's great entertainers and singers of the ages. for years and years she carried on with younger men. another rip-roaring alcoholic.

Bill Clinton. 'nuff said.

Martha Stewart. a cultural phenomenon. but unscrupulous in her business affairs. even went to jail. but she is still admired and followed by millions.

Paul Reubens/Pee Wee Herman. one of the funniest and wittiest goof-balls to delight millions of people. of course he has that high testosterone level.... but he's making a come back!

Joseph Sr., John, and Robert Kennedy. chased everything in a skirt. but the American people worshipped them. people don't even care if JFK had coat closet trysts with Marilyn Monroe.

Gosh this is a short list...the ones that quickly came to mind. I'm sure people can think of a lot more examples. Sure Tiger was/is a womanizer and a cheater. But he sure didn't do the things some of the people on my list did! Tiger didn't smear the integrity of the US Presidency, he didn't spend time in prison, he isn't an alcoholic. Geez I wish people would give Tiger a little privacy. Hasn't he suffered enough?

Despite his flaws in character, he remains one of the greatest golfers in history.

what Tiger Woods did is small potatoes compared to what some have done. Yes what he did was wrong and normally when famous people cheat it doesnt get much attention at all. But since Tiger Woods had that perfect image, it became big headlines in the media which did hurt him with his endorsements. The truth is many wanted Tiger Woods to fall because he was on top of the world.

well they are reporting that Tiger sent a text to one of his mistresses about having a bi/gay fantasy threesome with her and Derek Jeter. Tiger and Derek are good friends btw. Its been rumored for a number of years that Derek Jeter is gay or bisexual.

Hahahaha! I thought Jeter and A Rod were boyfriends (?)

Everyone is saying Tiger is a sex addict...maybe he's just a guy with a healthy imagination.

Maybe monogamy isn't an innate human trait since something like 75% of men admittedly cheat on their partners. I'm tired of hearing about Tiger's problems as there are plenty of people out there doing much worse. I don't deny that this has hurt his wife and children, but the non-stop media coverage has magnified the hurt. If Tiger wanted to sleep around he should have either not gotten married in the first place or gotten a divorce, but the ad nauseum coverage is for the birds.

I was actually in front of a TV set and saw the spectacle Friday morning. :blush:

It was reported that trading on the NYSE slowed and most major media outlets were focused on the spectacle. How pathetic is that? A pissed off guy flys his plane into a federal office building and it doesn't get a fraction of the coverage that this crap does.

Infidelity is sadly very common- even more so when extreme wealth and power are involved (at least it is reported..I have neither so I don't know :( ) Hopefully he gets his act together and does right by his children at least.

After it became public about Tiger's desire to have a threesome with Jeter, I wonder if Jeter is accepting phone calls from Tiger, his reported friend.

Someone mentioned maybe Tiger shouldn't have gotten married in the first place. That sounds like a good idea actually. Tiger's approach to relationships is apparently closer to that of Hugh Hefner or Larry Flynt, than the family man he was trying to portray.

well it looks like more sponsors are dropping Tiger Woods. I think the problem is that his image was too clean. We hear about affairs all the time and they don't seem to affect many other well known figures, except for John Edwards of course.

• 11 months later...

Archived