Bike & Ped Master Plan

Spartan

The City adopted its Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan last night. I'm pretty excited about this since I was not aware they were developing one... I recall a survey of some sort about a year ago, but I did not know they had made so much progress. Anyway, I can't find any links to the plan itself or any other information about what it contains, so if anyone knows anything, please share!

HJ Article

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone. Frequent forum viewer, first time poster here.

I attended the City Council meeting last night as they approved the plan. The council members seemed very supportive of the plan. There were 6-8 cyclists in full garb who had ridden to the meeting to support the adoption of the plan. The president of the Freewheelers of Spartanburg also presented Mayor Barnet with a plaque in appreciation of all he has done so far to make Spartanburg more bicycle friendly.

The Bike and Pedestrian Master Plan is very comprehensive, including sidewalk and crosswalk additions and improvements, bike lanes, and greenways throughout the city and county. Here is a link to the plan (divided into sections).

Bike and Ped Master Plan

Welcome to UrbanPlanet, and thanks for the information! I'll read through it later on, but I'm curious to know what you think about it from a cyclist's perspective.

One of my only complaints about Spartanburg's cycling efforts is the placement of their bike lanes on streets that do not need them, and then inadequate widths where they do have them. Does the plan address that type of thing?

Ok, I've had a chance to skim this thing. I now see that it is a combined effort from the City, County and SPATS. It's definitely a thorough plan. It addresses every municipality in the County, and the City of Spartanburg (Ch6). I like that they are realistic in that they don't expect/assume funding, but they addresses in the context of "when funding is available, do these things first." That is a very realistic approach to planning in Spartanburg.

Archived