Downtown Streetscaping

sc smitty

Today and tomorrow there are a couple of public meetings about the streetscape master plan being developed for downtown Greenville. They are focusing on several of the side streets off of Main Street. Here is some info sent out by the city regarding the meetings:

Wed, Dec. 16

4:00-7:00 PM "Public Open House"

103 N Main St. (A Main Street storefront between Piazza Bergamo and Mast General Store)

Drop by anytime between 4:00 and 7:00 PM to provide input and to ask questions about the project; A project overview and introduction will take place at 4:00, but anyone interested may stop by at any point during this time.

Thurs, Dec. 17

Presentation by Dan Burden, Walkability Expert

7:30-9:00 AM

1st floor conference room, City Hall

Mr. Burden will present his observations and recommedations from the "Walkability Workshop." His presentation will consider Greenville's existing streetscape infrastructure in the context of rebalancing Greenville's streets to improve their function, safety, and aesthetics.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting about the meetings.

I really hope to see more streets done like the recent re-do of Broad. If you haven't noticed the new bike lanes since the repaving, check it out.....very nice. More than average "added on" bike lanes....Broad now looks like a "complete street". :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting about the meetings.

I really hope to see more streets done like the recent re-do of Broad. If you haven't noticed the new bike lanes since the repaving, check it out.....very nice. More than average "added on" bike lanes....Broad now looks like a "complete street". :thumbsup:

I noticed that, too. It looks great! I do wish they had continued it on past Falls Street, though. I'm excited to see how West Broad will look when the Main @ Broad development is complete!

I really liked the streetscaping ideas they have/had for Rhett Street. Especially the water pond-like elements... I can't remember the details, though.

This is the best news I've heard about Greenville's downtown in a while. I've been saying for ages that Greenville's only weakness is the lack of the "main street" feel on its side streets. Part of that is development patterns, but even that is slowly changing. The streetscape will certainly help. I look forward to reading more details about the plan soon.

Here's the Rhett Street plans that I mentioned above. I think we've all viewed it before, but I never get tired of looking at these plans over and over... :rolleyes:

My link

What streets do you guys see as the most needy right now?

I'll start with the supporting of the idea that Heritage Green still needs a better link to Main Street. So, extensive renovations to College Street?? And, when I say extensive, I definitely mean extensive.

I agree with you GvilleSC. Linking Heritage Green to Main St, or even improving the McBee Station area's or the BiLo Center's pedestrian and bike connections to Main Street are more important IMO.

I understand what they want to do with Rhett St, and while I agree that should be done eventually, I'm surprised that the city is pushing that one over some of the other more important connections. I'm curious to know what their reasoning is behind their prioritization methods (if there are any)

I understand what they want to do with Rhett St, and while I agree that should be done eventually, I'm surprised that the city is pushing that one over some of the other more important connections. I'm curious to know what their reasoning is behind their prioritization methods (if there are any)

I believe the Rhett Street plans probably evolved from a handful of announcements of developments that came out over the past few years. However, the Brownstones are the only one of those announcements that has seen construction (Brownstones). The others include Tom Croft's 8 story residential building (40-45 condos), and the parking garage and offices to replace the old Shealy building (link).

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested in the downtown streetscaping project, the Draft Master Plan is being presented this Wednesday evening. Here are details:

"The consultants are scheduled to present the Draft Master Plan recommendations at a Public Workshop on Wednesday, February 10th at 6pm in the 1st Floor Conference Room of City Hall. PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS and WE HOPE YOUR SCHEDULE PERMITS YOU TO ATTEND.

The Public Workshop will begin promptly at 6pm with an informal 15-minute pin-up session to review maps and drawings so that you may re-orient yourself with the project scope and discover the initial recommendations. This will be followed by a 1-hour presentation outlining the details of the Master Plan recommendations. A Question and Answer period will follow the formal presentation."

• 2 weeks later...

The Greenville News has an article on the City's next streetscaping plans. Link

Highlighted in the article is that the City is planning to implement $3.3 million of changes to four blocks of Rhett Street and one block of Brown Street. The Brown Street block is between North Street and Coffee Street where the Brown Street Jazz Club is located.

Brown Street changes would include:

-gas lamps,

-an arching gateway,

-outdoor seating,

-piano-patterned sidewalks,

-string lights

The Rhett Street changes in the West End include:

-trees,

-benches,

-bike racks,

-lighting,

-rain gardens,

-enlarged intersections

Both sets of improvements include money for public art.

----

I really like the nature of the Brown Street changes. The piano patterning on the sidewalk sounds fun!

Ditto on the Brown Street improvements. I will say that I like the "rough-edgedness" of the street there that seems to give the area a more authentic vibe, but the piano-patterned sidewalks will be really cool and should make it worth it.

Definitely! I love that the City is catering to the live music scene currently on the street. Hopefully some land owners along Brown Street will take this opportunity following construction to propose and build some new developments. Additional music venues would be nice, but simply some mixed-use residential projects would go a long way to add 24-hour life to the alley-like street...

Definitely! I love that the City is catering to the live music scene currently on the street. Hopefully some land owners along Brown Street will take this opportunity following construction to propose and build some new developments. Additional music venues would be nice, but simply some mixed-use residential projects would go a long way to add 24-hour life to the alley-like street...

I agree. I would love to see Brown Street become somewhat of a "music avenue" type of scene. We can definitely support more live music venues. :thumbsup:

Brown Street changes would include:

-gas lamps,

-an arching gateway,

-outdoor seating,

-piano-patterned sidewalks,

-string lights

The Rhett Street changes in the West End include:

-trees,

-benches,

-bike racks,

-lighting,

-rain gardens,

-enlarged intersections

Both sets of improvements include money for public art.

----

I really like the nature of the Brown Street changes. The piano patterning on the sidewalk sounds fun!

Very curious about the "arching gateway". Would love to see a rendering of this.

Isn't there a vacant lot (maybe used for parking) right next to the jazz club? It would be nice if some other live music venues could locate along that street, giving it something of a mini Beale Street vibe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I think the new signage is really sharp! And I love the new walls they're installing throughout the campus' frontside. Well done Greenville!

As far as people getting there, that's supposedly in the works via a multipurpose pathway. Redevelopment of the AT&T block would be the best pedestrian facilitator. However I've made the walk from Main Street several times and it's not that bad. Just not very inviting.

Even with signage, etc., how will Heritage Green draw people from downtown with one 4-lane road and one 6-lane road to cross. It's a loud and unsafe passage for the pedestrian. I thought there was talk of traffic calming along Academy a few years ago?

Academy will be reduced to two lanes on the side that currently has three lanes now. College will also be reduced a lane. 

Archived