What should UConn sports do for a successful future?

MadVlad

What should UConn sports do for a successful future?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What should UConn sports do looking forward?

• Be loyal to the Big East and maintain the status quo
    • Push for the Big East football schools to create their own conference
    • Seek to join the Big Ten or ACC
    • Have the Big East expand it's football membership to 12 teams for a playoff

One way or the other, Notre Dame should be given an ultimatum, 'Nova and Georgetown should have been given financial incentive to upgrade, and the Big East should have been very aggressive to get to 12 teams. It's a travesty that the Big East added teams like DePaul and Marquette when football schools are what was needed...

agreed!

VT and Miami >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marquette and DePaul

thats a crap load of greater than symbols if you didnt figure it out :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that they should have been proactive and tried to prevent the Football schools from leaving by adding teams prior to the ACC raid but I am not convinced that having a hybrid conference is a bad thing. There are some schools that add a tremendous amount on the BBall side that I just would not want to loose under any circumstances like Villanova and Georgetown and having BBall only schools keeps us in media markets that we would not be in otherwise like Milwaukee, Providence, Philly, DC, heck even NYC if St John's and Seton Hall can ever become relevant again. I guess you can count Chicago because of DePaul but that is the one school in the Big East that I truly despise being in our conference. I don't know why people think the hybrid model is so bad. If the Big East can get up to at least 10 but optimally 12 schools for Football I think having extra BBall only schools is clearly a plus. They don't share any of the Football money and expand the footprint of the conference. That is one thing I do like about Marrinatto. He said you can have as many BBall schools as you want. It doesn't matter and I fully agree with that. The key is getting the FB side stabilized without sacrificing what is truly the best product in college basketball. I think that my model of going to 20 teams with two 10 team divisions is where we will ultimately see the Big East and probably with the 12 Football schools I laid out. Notre Dame is going to stay independent and I don't mind having them as a Basketball partner as they are an up and coming basketball power that has a huge national fanbase already built in due to the football history.

I was pretty scared for the survival of the Big East at one time but I'm starting to think there is a clear path to keeping it together pretty effortlessly. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce they are adding additional schools at the same time they announce that Villanova is moving up for football. Frankly I really hope that something along those lines is what is going to happen. Remember the other issue is the stalemate having 8 FB and 8 non FB members. If Villanova comes over and it becomes 9 vs 7 then the balance of power shifts to the FB side and the BBall schools just have to suck it up if the FB schools decide to invite more members.

As for the power conferences moving from 12 to 16 FB members I'll believe it when I see it. I think 12 is the magic number for Football.

• 2 months later...

In light of recent developments regarding TCU joining the Big East this is what I now envision to be the future of the conference.

Big East Football

Houston

TCU

Connecticut

West Virginia

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

Rutgers

South Florida

Cincinnati

Louisville

Villanova