Top Non-English Languages Spoken @ Home 5yrs & up

Good point. I had forgotton about the French Canadians. I actually have one as a neighbor.

They used to be a bunch in Sunny Isles I believe, but the big Canadian hotspots now are Hallendale and to a lesser extent Hollywood in Broward county, just to the north.

In Hallendale you can get most of the major canadian newspapers, english and french, at most convience stores.

I'm sure a large number still reside in Dade. I stand corrected.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brickell hehe no your not crazy

Cotuit, interesting Linguica, Pao Doce, Malassadas, etc are all very common here & part of the mainstream culture too thanks to the Portuguese in fact you can even order a Linguica & eggs platter at Mcdonalds for breakfast over here :D Speaking of which i had Portuguese Bean soup for dinner last night hehe well it helps that i have some Portuguese blood and family members :D

Some good sh*t mang!

artb.jpg

BTW do you folks have different names for the Portuguese? In Hawaii they are sometimes called Portagees or Pochos *The word Portagee originated because the Hawaiians back in the day could not pronounce the word Portuguese and so it becamse a part of the lingo and Creole Language here.

Other groups have names too like:

All are names used in "Hawaii Creole" or "Pidgin English"

Puerto Ricans = Borinkees (came from the word Borinken which i think was the original name of PR)

Filipino = Flip, Buk Buk (book book) or manong, pinoy & pinay. As for the origination of the word Buk Buk that we use here the Filipinos in the plantation days in Hawaii had a joke they used when someone had a cavity, a round hole in the front teeth. The Filipinos would tease that person by pointing at the hole and yell out, "buk-buk, buk-buk!" Buk buk means termite & the joke means the termite ate a hole in the teeth and because the other ethnic groups saw the early Filipinos pointing at each other & yelling "Buk-buk" they thought that was what they referred to each other as and so it became a part of the "Hawaii Creole" aka Pidgin English! :D

Chinese = Pake' (Pah-kay) - In the plantation days, the children in the Chinese camps used to call out their fathers, "Bakka!" This means father in the Hakka dialect of Chinese. Most of the first Chinese who came to Hawaii to work in the plantations were Hakka. Others heard the word & misunderstood & mispronounced it and over time it became "Pake".

Korean = Yobo (originated from the words Yobo seyo which is a greeting well yobo actually means sweetheart by itself)

Blacks = Popolo(s)

Samoan = Sole (So-lay) or Uso

etc etc

Alot of the names go way back and are a part of different historical moments in Hawaiis immigrant past but very interesting plus over here its politically correct to tell ethnic jokes its kind of a trip but thats how excepting the people are here and how mixed up it is! I trully love it!

We say Portagee here too, but it is more of a derogatory slang term. It's not quite as bad as chink, or jap, or n*gger, but it has sort of the same point to it. Some Portuguese have sort of reclaimed the word for themselves, but it's pretty much a taboo term.

We don't have linguica at McDonald's, but any pizza place worth it's salt offers it as a topping. It is also a staple part of a clambake. The best malasada can be found in Provincetown.

^Hehe wow you guys say that too thats a trip and you folks are way on the other side of the country! :D

I love Malasadas when hot of course but even that has transformed over here as you can also find it stuffed with fillings theres one thats really popular here thats filled with "Lilikoi" or in english known as "Passion fruit".

Here's a little pic of the Lilikoi Malasadas its like the fancy restaurant type here

fine_mavro_b.jpg

Another popular one is the chocolate creme filled malasadas which can be found at my favorite Portuguese sweets place in Honolulu "Leonards"

1595-leonards.jpg

The neat thing about Hawaii is that each ethnic thing goes thru transformations and other cultures add a little to it. Like i'm not sure if your familiar with the Chinese Hum Bow its the steamed or baked bread thing with meat in it we call it "Manapua" though, anyhow over here you can find curry chicken in it....shoyu chicken, sweet potato, vegeteraian jai, lup cheong, etc and the traditional char siu they even come in different colors so that you know which filling it has

The yellow if for the curry filled the purple i think is for the sweet potato etc

islandfood2_b.jpg

The traditional one

other_manapuaX.jpg

Portuguese and Basque fisherman are said to be the first Europeans to regularly visit the New World. They were fishing Georges Bank in Columbus' time and long before the Pilgrims arrived in Plymouth. When the English colonized New England the Portuguese fisherman realized it was easier to just settle in New England rather than crossing the Atlantic to reach the fishing grounds here.

^Interesting the first that settled in Hawaii came over in 1878 but they were among the many immigrants that were suckered into to the plantation industry the first came over from Madeira then later the Azores, Portugal, & Cape Verde. Over 17,500 were recruited from 1878-1887. Another thanks to the Portuguese for the famous Hawaiian instrument the "Ukulele" which actually originated from the "braguinha" of Madeira & "cavaquinho" of mainland Portugal. Hawaii's immigrant past is so interesting the plantation days is definately one of the main time periods that catipulted the racial/ancestral landscape of the state.

Archived