graysonelijah

Hampton Roads:2020 Wishlist

7 posts in this topic

As the end of the decade nears, I thought it would be cool to create a Hampon Roads "wishlist" thread. Maybe in ten years, if we are blessed enough to live another decade, we can look back on it and see if our wishes came true. I'm going to keep mine realistic, and I think anyone else who posts should too! Happy New Years!

My top 35 realistic goals/wishes for Hampton Roads in year 2020. (No particular order)

1. HSR along the 460 corridor travelling 110mph ending in downtown Norfolk, Va. creating a multi-modal transportation center connecting rail, bus, and boat.

2. LRT along the abandoned NS ROW to TC and the Oceanfront operational, LRT along the I-64 corridor to the Naval Station under construction/operational.BRT along the Oceanfront operational.

3. Local HRT bus routes expanded/enhanced to run every 10-15 minutes and until midnight./HRT transit system to eclipse 100,000 boardings/day.

4.A vibrant, dynamic Granby St.full of restaurants, retail, residential, and office. Busy sidewalks 7 days a week.

5.A signature tower around the order of 500 ft. proposed/constructed in downtown Norfolk.

6.Waterside Marketplace restored to it's vibrant hayday of the 80s.

7.St. Paul's Quadrant to be redeveloped into a unique, healthy, urbane neighborhood full of local businesses, life, and unique retailers. High density developments such as 5-7 floor buildings, brownstones, etc.

8.US Development to complete renovation of the "Leaning Tower," former Trader Publishing HQ, "Icebox," Union Mission, etc. adding 1500 med. income apartmets/condos,

9.Norfolk to land the relocation of another F500 company in the city's CBD.

10.Downtown Norfolk to reach 10,000 residents and 50,000 employees.

11.Virginia Beach Town Center to continue it's growth and witness the complete buildout of TC proper with the two office towers, apartment/hotel tower.

12.Announcement of a planned high-density, mixed use, developent adjacent to Town Center on the land of the current Pembroke Mall.

13.Mega-TOD on the site of the former Circuit City and current East Coast Appliance lot.

14.New Town development built-out to the city's vision plan centered around light rail.

15.FAA lift height-restrictions for the Resort Area.

16.Laskin Gateway project completed, spurs redevelopment of many Oceanfront properties, especially along Atlantic and Pacific avenues.

17.Dome site developed into something unique and special.

18.Multiple condo and hotel towers developed along the current surface lots of the Oceanfront, centered around LRT.

19.Convention Center HQ hotel developed with 750+ rooms.

20.Green line protected, VB sprawl countered by SGA's.

21.Whole Foods market opened in metro. Either Norfolk or Virginia Beach.

22.Offshore Wind developed off the coast of VB, creating a new booming industry for the region.

23.Craney Island to begin construction.

24.Chesapeake establishes a "green line" south of Deep Creek/Great Bridge and discontinues the construction of sprawl in South Chesapeake/Hickory.

25.Newport News City Center continues medium density development and becomes the CBD for the Peninsula.

26.Midtown Tunnel completed.

27.Third Crossing funded/LRT capable.

28.460 upgraded to interstate quality.

29.Dominion Blvd./Steel Bridge replacement funded (privatized?)

30.Hampton Roads eclipses 2,000,000 inhabitants in the 2020 census.

31.Old Town Portsmouth to develop high-rises along the waterfront capitalizing off of the views of the harbor/Skyline of Norfolk and ferry access to downtown.

32.High St. to become dynamic and vibrant, on the level of Granby.

33.Greenbrier Mall to go the route of Peninsula Town Center.

34.Norfolk Int'l to actually become Int'l and land a couple flights to Europe. Eclipse the 5,000,000 passenger mark.

35.Norfolk Cruise Industry to grow to 200,000+ passengers/year.

I have three wishes, admittedly with a eye on self interest for the first.

1: Virginia/Feds allow offshore hydrocarbon exploration under the increased state retention % offered under the previous administration. If resource discovered, all royalties to the state are dedicated to a single use, transportation.

2: Establishment of a dividend from VPA. Dividend is given to Hampton Roads for transportation issues.

3: Local members of the Virginia legislature grow a backbone.

If the first happens, it will allow for a lot of what you would like to see occur.

Edited by Glassoul

No particular order:

More medium to high density/mixed use infill development in DT Norfolk.

Successful refurbishment/reuse of existing buildings in DT Norfolk (i.e. US Development)

One "tall" signature mixed use high rise completed and occupied in DT Norfolk

LR operational and successful from the Naval Station to the Oceanfront

HSR to DT Norfolk

Jobs to come back with a vengeance (sp?) i.e. clean energy, shipping, warehousing, manufacturing

ODU's Foreman field upgraded and enlarged and ODU football becomes an identity for Norfolk (even though I'm an ECU Pirate fan)

Focus on public transportation options instead of throwing money at roads

VB Town Center to add a few mid to high rises.

Development/redevelopment of Portsmouth, particularly the waterfront

Just to name a few....I'm sure I repeated some other's ideas.

No particular order:

Successful refurbishment/reuse of existing buildings in DT Norfolk (i.e. US Development)

HSR to DT Norfolk

Jobs to come back with a vengeance (sp?) i.e. clean energy, shipping, warehousing, manufacturing

ODU's Foreman field upgraded and enlarged and ODU football becomes an identity for Norfolk (even though I'm an ECU Pirate fan)

I agree with them all.

No particular order:

HSR to DT Norfolk

That is a list I would like to see happen for the metro.

It's been 3 years and change, and some of those are at least on their way to happening. A lot of potential for it to be done by 2015, let alone 2020. Let me add:

-An official merger, with the metropolitan being known as "Norfolk/Virginia Beach" (Hampton Roads locally).

-A major league sports team, either Big 4 or MLS.
-The Tide expanded to the Peninsula, Chesapeake, and further throughout Norfolk and VB.

-A signature tower in downtown Norfolk (35 stories+), with a Fortune 500 company as the anchor tenant.

-Another Fortune 500 company landing elsewhere in the region, either Town Center or on the Peninsula.

-St. Paul's Quadrant (finally) developed into mixed use.

-A third crossing, and possible expansion of 64 near Ocean View (1 lane each side).

-Town Center expanded to the other side of Independence Blvd. Convert the HQ into an Ikea store, allow the Pembroke Office Towers to remain.

-More film projects coming to Hampton Roads, primarily the Seven Cities, and not just one of the military bases, historic sites, or tunnels.

-More young professionals/college grads calling the area home.